Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a set of miniatures rules for 1:72 scale Civil War? A local hobby store was having a 50% off sale on IMEX sets and ... well.. I bought a few with the intent of beginning an ACW miniatures set. What's the best out there and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Johnny reb III is by far the best ruleset for ACW miniatures out there. The rules let it play for 15mm and 25mm. (this is smaller scale company)
Firy and Fury is also good for 15mm. (this is grander scale battalion)
Hope this helps.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Johnny Reb (JR3 is most current version and there are a number of sites, journals, mags and groups which support it!

YAHOO Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/jriii/
BGG site: Johnny Reb III
Charge! A mag for JRIII: http://scottmingus.wordpress.com/about/

Can you tell I am into this?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LimboLance wrote:
I would second Johnny Reb (JR3 is most current version and there are a number of sites, journals, mags and groups which support it!

YAHOO Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/jriii/
BGG site: Johnny Reb III
Charge! A mag for JRIII: http://scottmingus.wordpress.com/about/

Can you tell I am into this?!?!?

Nothing wrong with that at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a good set of skirmish rules for ACW? I am trying to find something worth playing that lets 1 figure = 1 soldier. Is there anything like that?

Also, what kind of basing does the JRIII rules require?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of miniatures rules for 1:72 scale Civil War? A local hobby store was having a 50% off sale on IMEX sets and ... well.. I bought a few with the intent of beginning an ACW miniatures set. What's the best out there and why?

It depends on the scale of battles you want to play. Here are the most popular that I've seen and played. All of these rules have rules for 1/72 (20mm) figures.

Skirmishes: Brother against Brother. One figure is one man. I've only played this a couple of times, but it's been fun. You could also try one of the Two Hour Wargames rules like Black Powder Battles.

Small battles: Johnny Reb III. One figure is about 30 men. Each regiment is represented by 4 stands of figures. One of the things I've never liked about the rules is that, to represent regiments of different sizes, you have to have bases with more or less figures (usually 3-5). I'd rather that all stands were the same and that you simply have more stands. You might also look at the Fire and Fury Regimental rules: http://www.fireandfury.com/aw/aw.html

Medium Battles: Fire and Fury. One stand is 200 men. The focus of action is the brigade, which is represented by a variable number of stands, usually 6-10 or so. Many people think of this as a big battles set of rules, but I usually see players commanding one or two divisions each. To do big battles, you have to have a lot of players and a lot of stands.

Large Battles: Volley & Bayonet. One stand (3"x3") is one brigade. Use as man figures as you like per stand. This is my choice for the really large battles. Two players can easily play big battles like Shiloh or Stone's River in an afternoon with a reasonable number of figures. The game uses rosters to keep track of losses which many people don't care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooky wrote:
Does anyone know of a good set of skirmish rules for ACW? I am trying to find something worth playing that lets 1 figure = 1 soldier. Is there anything like that?

Brother against Brother is the system I usually see being played at conventions.

Jooky wrote:

It's pretty complicated, because you have to use 4 stands per regiment no matter what the size of the regiment is. The stand size increases in both depth and width depending on the number of figures and the scale of figures. For really large regiments, they recommend splitting it into two 4-stand battalions.

In 15mm, a 4-figure infantry stand is 7/8" wide by 3/4" deep, and a 3-figure stand is 3/4" wide by 5/8" deep. They list 25mm figures as being 30% larger and 10mm figures as being 30% smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a simplified rule set for little money, you can look at A Simple Civil War Game Deluxe

I think it is $7.95 to download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
The "standards" are Johnny Reb and Fire and Fury. Brother Against Brother for skirmish.

I really like Volley and Bayonet for large battles as well.

I would also recommend taking a look at Civil War Battles by Peter Pig.

Fire and Fury was developed from On to Richmond American Civil War Miniature Rules which is still available via Magweb. It is a slightly simpler game than F&F but still lots of fun.

There is a list of free ACW miniatures rules here:
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/index.php/Main/ACW

Might be something there worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooky wrote:

Thanks!

The biggest problem with 1:1 games - is the cost for the figures (if you are fighting with a 100 man company - you need 100 figures), time spent painting (15mm can usually go with "wargamers standard" - that is to say, if it looks good from 2 feet away - thats good enough; 54 mm you need to paint eyes, belly buttons, nose hair, etc) and size of gaming area (15mm - most Brigade and some Division sized battles can occur on 5 by 8 tables - 54 mm depends on the size of the units fighting but you would start with your garage floor....). Other factors that come into play - gaming terrain. There are scads of cheap, pretty and usable commercial 15mm stuff (even 25mm) but the bigger the battlefield - the more you need. So, you have to decide what you want - squad level fighting? Brigade? Division? Corps? (Corps size battles are generally fought with "rice armies" - the miniatures can actually be painted long grains of rice - who can see faces at that scale?)

As for JR3 basing - plenty of variants exist (don't they all have variants?) where 1 fig can mean more or less than 30 men (especially for late war battles where only the Yanks could field full sized units). So, you pretty much have to decide what battles you have to fight to determine scale to obtain rules and minis. To me, JR3 was the answer (over Fire and Fury and the "free to print" rule sets that I saw). I currently have about 60 Infantry Regiments (35 Union to 25 Reb), 20 Cavalry (12 and 8), 50 pieces of various artillery (based seperately from the crew so I can use the guns for either side), 20 or so support vehicles (20 for each side; wagons and limbers) and 15 Confederate and 30 Union Leaders. Each Inf (mounted 3, 4 or 5 per stand) and Cav unit (2, 3 or 4 per stand) at 4 stands each (roughly 240 Infantry figures and 60 mounted and 60 dismounted Cavalry figures); Artillery Crew are mounted 1 or 2 figs per stand (so I can make change - each figure represents a section and batteries have 3 or 4 sections each; roughly 50 Cannons and 150 Crew); Leaders are mounted as Brigade (single figure stands 12 Reb and 24 Union), Division (2 figure stands, 3 Reb and 5 Union) or Corps (3 figure stands, 1 each side) - a total of 58 Figures. Limbers are usually 4 horse teams with 2 or 3 figures affixed to the stand. Wagons are generally 2 or 4 horse teams with 1 or 2 figure per stand. So, you can see - if you went 1:1 - you would need something like 18,000 miniatures to equal what JR3 does with 400 or so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.