Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The new English Z-Man version has been released this week.

2) The graphics by BGG's own UniversalHead are great!

3) The game is compact, in a box roughly the same size as Mayfair's Modern Art. The box, of course, is made of the same blast-grade cardboard as most other Z-Man games.

4) The new ruleset is great, with many detailed examples. (I created an aid, www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/31294, to condense it down a bit.)

5) It's made by Susumu Kawasaki, the same designer as R-Eco and Stack Market.

6) Like his R-Eco, the fun versus complexity factor is high. This one is slightly more complicated, but the payoff is larger.

7) The components are top-notch--kudos to Zev!

8) They fixed the color issues from the Japon Brand version, so the player colors no longer match the ships.

9) It has pirates--argh! arrrh Well...sort of.

10) Though not completely original, the game feels fresh and exciting. A very pleasant mix of economics, drafting, and hand management. You'll think of Alhambra, Show Manager, Oltre Mare, and Hansa at different points while playing this.

My only minor gripe is that there appears to be no elegant solution to storing all of the pieces in the box with the insert intact.

I've noticed very little chatter about this great game, and I thought others should hear more about it. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut out the center cardboard so a plastic bag of the noncard contents will fit in the center, between the card slots. BTW, the card quality is cheapo and could easily have been made nicer for the price they charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletodoc wrote:
BTW, the card quality is cheapo...

Can you compare them to another game I might know? I am on the fence with this game, and card quality could easily push me over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I haven't played it I do have Parthenon:Rise of the Aegean (also by ZMan) and I thought that there was quite a bit of similarity, and maybe not room enough on the shelf for both. I could be persuaded otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear! I haven't seen the printed copy yet so I'm very happy it came out well, especially since this is the first game I've designed the graphics for entirely from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
skeletodoc wrote:

Can you compare them to another game I might know? I am on the fence with this game, and card quality could easily push me over.

Akin to Pandemic and Escalation!, but nowhere near as bad as I Go!. As far as I can tell, anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax wrote:
ekted wrote:
skeletodoc wrote:

Akin to Pandemic and Escalation!, but nowhere near as bad as I Go!. As far as I can tell, anyway...

Pandemic cards are ok. They are definitely not standard easy-to-shuffle playing cards, but they are very sturdy and coated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Though I haven't played it I do have Parthenon:Rise of the Aegean (also by ZMan) and I thought that there was quite a bit of similarity, and maybe not room enough on the shelf for both. I could be persuaded otherwise

Other than the Mediteranian setting, Traders is nothing like Parthenon in terms of game play. IMO, it's also a much better and original game. Having said that, if you like the complexity and vast numbers of cards in Parthenon you may not like the clean, well put together mechanisms of Traders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who notices that the Emperor here (the graphics and components) are overwhelmingly lacking visual appeal and are therefore, quite naked? A board that tells you where to place the draw pile and discards is a bit silly as well.

Hopefully, the game play compensates for the looks of this game. Maybe she can cook, afterall.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always one, isn't there?

The board has spaces for the Market and Farm decks, and the arrows point to where you place the rows of these cards. At least do me the courtesy of seeing the actual game before you comment.

Actually, let me correct that (it's been a while since I finished this job), those are spaces for the one deck and discard cards. However, I fail to see what's weird about that, it's quite normal to have deck and deck discard spaces on a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up today, can't wait to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. N. Dominick
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
Ajax wrote:
My only minor gripe is that there appears to be no elegant solution to storing all of the pieces in the box with the insert intact.

The insert bugged me as well.

If you push on the ridged sections in the middle where the wooden pieces are stored, you can invert them. The achievement tokens in a ziploc bag will fit there. Then, take half the cards from one spot and move them to the other, and store the wooden tokens in their bag on top of the half deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Ajax wrote:
ekted wrote:
skeletodoc wrote:

The cards are of a thick enough quality (not quite as thick as those in Pandemic, but not NEARLY as thick as R-Eco, or as thin as Corsari), but the coating seemed uneven to me. Maybe I got a copy from a bad print run, but the cards, though coated, were a bit rough, and dusty. Does that make sense?

Regardless, they shuffle well, and will probably hold up to repeated playings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax wrote:
The box, of course, is made of the same blast-grade cardboard as most other Z-Man games.

No kidding. I just got this one today, and it must have taken me 10 minutes to pry the lid off. Now I'm afraid to put it back on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no problem storing the components with the standard insert, with each colour token in a separate ziploc.

The cards go where the cards go, the bag o' bits fits between them, two token bags fit between each pile of cards and the edge of the box, the other two token bags fit on top of the cards. Provided that the tokens in each bag are aligned in the same plane, it all can be made to fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.