Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago, I attempted to introduce the Greater Vancouver Boardgame Meetup group to Titan by bringing along my copy to one of our monthly “meetups”, along with a few local veterans of the game. There was little interest at the time, and we ended-up just playing amongst ourselves at the meetup. Vancouver has many gaming groups, and this one tends to appeal to the casual, light and even party gamer. That having been said, there are a few regulars whose aptitudes and proclivities indicate that they’d probably like something like Titan, and given the renewed interest in the game due to its impending re-release by Valley Games, I decided to haul Titan in again last month, specifically for a training session, thinking I’d even pick up a copy of the new edition beforehand. Alas, it’s still not available, so I just brought my old copy, and spread the word about my intent to run a training session among the members of Vancouver Boardgame Meetup, as well as the members of Vancouver BoardGameGeeks another group of mostly euro fans that meets regularly, among whose membership there has been some expressed interest.

None of the Geeks could make it, but Hilco, a regular of the Boardgame Meetup crowd, was a closet Titan fan from way back, so he was on-board. Also, Colin, the Meetup organizer, always willing and able to try new things, threw his hat into the ring, and we had the makings of a three-player game. Colin had apparently given the game a try at some point in the past, so we quickly brought him up to speed on masterboard play, and we were off and running. Despite plenty of coaching by Hilco and myself, Colin fell behind eventually due to the typically unaggressive style exhibited by novices in Titan, and he soon fell prey as the first victim of the game. I had a slight lead at this point, and things were getting late, so I took a somewhat premature shot at ending the game by attacking Hilco’s Unicorn-strong Titan stack with my own Titan stack in his native terrain (hills). I misplaced a single creature by one hex on initial placement, and that, along with some lame die-rolling late in the battle, cost me the game. Hilco was congratulated for having played a very competent game, earning a well-deserved victory.

Buoyed by a successful session and the fact that we managed to finish a game with a novice in the limited time we had, I put the call out once again for the July Meetup, and even invited our local veteran Titan group to join in. Despite no interest once again from the Geek group, we managed to fill a six-player board quickly. Hilco, Colin and myself were joined by veterans of the Titanic wars Victor, Althalee, and Tom.

Colin had been practising using the computer version of Titan, “Colossus”, so his play was much more aggressive this time out, and he quickly took the lead, in points anyway. But this was to be Althalee’s night, in a big way. The first to fall prey to Althalee’s unreal mustering was Colin himself. The rest of us languished, both in points scored, as well as mustering. The board was dominated by Althalee’s many strong stacks. The next to fall victim was Hilco, caught in Jungle with two Trolls and a Ranger. Soon, Althalee had Titan teleportation and an Archangel, while the rest of us had yet to break 100 points!

Althalee’s next victim was Victor. Seeing the writing on the wall, and noticing that Althalee had exposed her Titan, Victor suicided himself and threw everything he could at Althalee’s Titan. The odds were still against him taking Althalee out—Althalee had to roll way down on her strikeback to leave Victor’s Titan alive for a potential death-blow. Indeed, Althalee did roll way down for her Titan, but whilst Tom and I were giddily celebrating prematurely, Althalee’s Ranger rolled UP (3 outta 4) to finish off Victor once and for all.

As the game progressed, the situation grew ever more hopeless for Tom and myself. Althalee’s muster progression seemed to be exponential, whilst Tom managed but a few lousy Unicorns, and I had a few Hydra’s in my Angel stack, but my Titan stack was stalled at 2 Minotaurs, a Gorgon, and a couple of Warlocks. Finally, Althalee parked herself in Marsh below the Tundra where Tom’s Titan stack was located, ready to finish him on the next turn. Realizing that he’d be better off attacking himself, Tom took the initiative and attacked Althalee’s Titan stack. Again, Tom was outmatched, but once again, Althalee took a big chance by bringing her Titan out in front to take out Tom’s two Lions. By now Althalee’s Titan was a 13-4, but that’s not really quite big enough to whip out in front of a stack the size and composition of Tom’s. After the first battle round, Tom was able to summon an Angel, and using Unicorns and the Angel, was able to triple team Althalee’s Titan, inflicting significant damage. Althalee only managed to kill one of the Unicorns on her own strikeback, and after flying in her Arcghangel to take out Tom’s Titan, it suddenly looked like I was gonna come outta this the sole survivor and victor of the game! It was not to be, however, as Tom subsequently rolled way down, and Althalee handily dispatched his Titan.

At this point in the evening, it was getting quite late, and the staff of Me ‘N’ Ed’s Pizzeria wanted to close down the back room where we were playing. It would have been too much trouble to move the game to the front room, and at this point, faced with a 16 or 17-4 Titan as well as an impending Colossus muster, I decided not to prolong the inevitable and conceded victory to Althalee. Well done, Althalee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johansson
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
That was a good game and congratulations to Althalee for her decisive win. Once Althalee rolled down with her archangel against my Titan, I potentially could have won the battle if only I could have rolled even odds with my dice. But alas, the lord of the dice had other plans as I rolled down significantly enough to not only lose the battle, but also lose the potential for a mutual elimination, thus destroying Andrew his unexpected chance at a win.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AAARRRRRGH!!! That sounded like a wicked game Andrew, wish I coulda been there. I'm very stoked for our next face to face game, hopefully sooner than later and I'll try not to bruise too many Titan fists with my face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Althalee Knoess
Canada
flag msg tools
I had to join just so I could reply to your review - sneaky! I had a blast on Friday and got really lucky a few times. I've obviously not been playing enough since I exposed my Titan twice (although honestly I was not expecting the suicide charges!). I do feel kinda bad about taking Colin out first, but hey Warbears - who does that! Anyway great fun was had, definitely looking forward to another game soon. :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.