Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently submitted a design for a RftG t-shirt to Uberbadger, and they are now available for purchase. You can buy them here: http://www.cafepress.com/uberbadger/5692143

I originally wanted to do one with this image:

and the text would say, "It's as simple as that," but the formatting didn't work out for it, so now it's just the Race logo, which is still pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try putting the picture on the front and the text on the back? I think it would look pretty good that way.

As a side note: I'm pretty theme apathetic when it comes to games, but I can't help but try to come up with an explanation why holding those new military tactics in reserve allow novelty windfalls to produce or rare earth (? aka the brown) goods to trade for extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad, the original design would have made a very cool t-shirt. But congratulations on getting the design accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
I recently submitted a design for a RftG t-shirt to Uberbadger, and they are now available for purchase. You can buy them here: http://www.cafepress.com/uberbadger/5692143

I originally wanted to do one with this image:

and the text would say, "It's as simple as that," but the formatting didn't work out for it, so now it's just the Race logo, which is still pretty cool.

I would have loved to create a shirt as Drew proposed but, not owning the game, I don't have access to high quality images of the selected artwork. Drew, if I could get my hands on a high-res scan of the artwork shown above I can probably get something up in the store for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... you do realize that the logo is copyrighted, right?

For example, where's my cut on T-shirt sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Um... you do realize that the logo is copyrighted, right?

For example, where's my cut on T-shirt sales?

Ruh-Ro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm unfamiliar with how you are associated with the game but please enlighten me.

I have permission from Jay at Rio Grande games to use their game "productions" on CafePress T-shirts but if there is a problem I honestly want to know. My intent at allowing the design in the store is certainly not to violate any copyright issues and I'll take the design down immediately if I've overstepped a boundary that RGG cannot grant me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Douglas
United States
Indian Rocks Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm just a casual observer but I'm confused too. Who is Wei-Hwa Huang? According to BGG, the designer is Thomas Lehmann. I'll just have to sit back and see how this one plays out.
Bean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than this interesting blurb about who Mr Huang is (I loved your google puzzles btw):
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0801/gallery.Bes...

Here's a nice quote from Tom Lehmann about the development of RFTG up on Boardgamenews:
Quote:
My initial prototype used simple graphics, with chits and screens to select actions. Enter Wei-Hwa Huang. He really liked the game and developed alternative graphics for it, including giving each player a set of action cards to select their actions and bonuses. Eventually, we merged our graphics together.

After alea decided not to publish Race for the Galaxy, Jay Tummelson of Rio Grande Games expressed interest. He challenged us to develop an icon only version, for ease of translation. Wei-Hwa and I spent a lot of time devising consistent icons and reference sheets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with how you are associated with the game but please enlighten me.

I have permission from Jay at Rio Grande games to use their game "productions" on CafePress T-shirts but if there is a problem I honestly want to know. My intent at allowing the design in the store is certainly not to violate any copyright issues and I'll take the design down immediately if I've overstepped a boundary that RGG cannot grant me.

I certainly had some creative input over the images in RGG. For example, the hand icon, the eye icon, putting the icons down the left side were all originally my ideas. A great deal of the final design elements were collaboration between Tom and me.

Anyway, I'll start the discussion with Tom and Jay about the disposition of RftG residuals. For the most part, I personally don't care about money (all my work on RftG was "pro bono") but Tom might be entitled to something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also mention -- I have high-res images of all the artwork and sufficient tools to manipulate them, so once the legal stuff is settled I would be happy to work on designs, if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
I should also mention -- I have high-res images of all the artwork and sufficient tools to manipulate them, so once the legal stuff is settled I would be happy to work on designs, if you're interested.

I PM'd you some information about current sales of this deisgn as background information when you talk to Tom and/or Jay. There have only been 2 sales of this design so if we do need to do something, I'm sure we can work it out.

That would be awesome for you to offer up official RftG designs to Uberbadger if you have the rights to do so. I look forward to them and a quick close to any unintentional impropriety.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Anyway, I'll start the discussion with Tom and Jay about the disposition of RftG residuals. For the most part, I personally don't care about money (all my work on RftG was "pro bono") but Tom might be entitled to something.

Well...sure. Of course.

But the end result, as we now see so many years later, is Nothing.

I'd like to be able to buy a t-shirt. Hey, it's one of only three games I rate a -10- .

I wonder what would have happened if someone had proposed the following in 2008 (when this thread was last commented on):

An Imaginary Miscreant wrote:
"I'll make a t-shirt of your guys' game, strictly without your permission. You're not going to get a dime; worse, someone else is going to make a couple bucks. That sucks. But I'll walk around in it for the next six years. Wear it proudly. Explain it to everyone who asks about it. Betcha it sells a dozen games over those years. Many, many times that if I'm a popular guy and people respect my opinions. I'll do that bit of bill-boarding for you gratis. That's the deal."

Oh yeah, I don't have to wonder. Control is everything, it seems. We can see how those who control this game have and would react to that proposal.

So six years later, and I can't buy a t-shirt. whistle

Nothing. What a waste. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
saccenti wrote:
Control is everything, it seems. [...]
So six years later, and I can't buy a t-shirt.

Huh??? Jay gave permission to Cafe Press to do RFTG T-shirts *years* ago, without any royalties due to RGG or us. I've seen quite a few of them, as well as a RFTG tote bag.

I have no idea if these products are still available or not, but anyone who wanted one could have bought one previously.

Saying "control is everything" and that RGG is preventing RFTG T-shirt sales is just plain wrong.

We've been extremely generous with allowing BGA and Keldon to let people play RFTG for free online and on their computers. On BGA, they're closing in on 2 million RFTG games played. Neither RGG nor I have made a cent off of them.

Frankly, I find this attitude that RGG is controlling the RFTG license so as to not benefit the wider gaming hobby offensive. Sheesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Huh??? Jay gave permission to Cafe Press to do RFTG T-shirts years ago, without any royalties due to RGG or us. I've seen quite a few of them, as well as a RFTG tote bag.

Glad to hear this. But--sheesh--from my point of view, here is all that I knew, up until your post:

1. Son saw Rob Renaud in a cool RftG t-shirt at WBC.

2. Son wanted shirt.

3. I saw Rob in shirt.

4. Wanted shirt.

5. Googled "Race for the Galaxy t-shirt".

6. Saw no obvious RftG licensed shirts. Searched over on Rio Grande site just to be sure.

Of the top ten hits I get on this search on my computer (I use Firefox and Google), not a single one is a link to a store selling a shirt.

Well, you know...it's a niche hobby. Disappointed. Bad news for me.

The very top hit, instead, is this BGG thread. A thread that pretty much concludes with someone (onigame) purporting to represent the license (kinda) putting the kabosh on do-it-yourself wear ("you do realize that the logo is copyrighted, right?"), and Matthew Marquand--with his usual inimitable grace--deferring to the powers that be on the matter.

And that was it.

Since I, too, respect your IP, that was enough for me to stop pursuing "pirated" shirts.

I did this back in August, and in a time-wasting kind of mood today, I did the search again (cuz I still wanted the shirt, darn it, and Christmas is coming, so there's an excuse...), and once again found nothing. With this thread still as the top hit. And it made me sad.

It is welcome news that fans can do their own shirts with your blessing.

I never saw the CafePress website, but now that you call my attention to it, I see that they are the 23rd hit on my screen, with the title not actually referring to RftG. Indeed, when I click on that link, I am looking at "Keep Calm and Race On" gear, which I'm pretty sure is unrelated.

Now maybe when others Google "Race for the Galaxy t-shirts" and get this page as their top hit, they will know what a generous guy you are, and that they have a green light, and not a bowl of kabosh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I just typed '"Race for the Galaxy" T-shirts' into Google. My top results were 4 pictures of RFTG T-shirts, one of them a sponsored link, plus a fifth non-Race T-shirt. I clicked on one of them and I jumped to a Cafe Press page, where I was able to add that shirt to my cart and see that it was in stock from the checkout screen.

I'm not sure why your search didn't work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was puzzled by your results, because I am definitely not seeing what you are seeing.

But then I just tried the search again, putting the "Race for the Galaxy" bit in quotes (which of course narrows the search to exact phrase) and now I do see what you are looking at as well.

Run it without the quotes and I bet you see my screen as well. None of the sponsored image shirts are RftG

Either method, I do also see this thread as the top real hit, as opposed to sponsored image.

Well, I suppose we could chat about this all day. But that would only continue to line your virtual pockets with ever more GG for being such a dude.

I'm off to design a shirt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Google-Fu is superior!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there was a lone 6-dev Tshirt at my local games store for a while. Was a bit plain, but still kind of cool (I think it was just a diamond with Alien something). But not AUD$40 cool, which is what they wanted for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone find any good race shirts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.