Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Catan Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Good game for plane? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like so many others, am looking for some good airplane travel games. I was wondering what people thought about this game. It seems like something you could easily play on a plane, but is it something you could play for a few good hours on a 20 hour plane ride?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into dice game, particularily Yahtzee as what many refer Catan Dice Game as being similar to, then it could last you a while. For a 20 hour plane ride, minus time for sleeping, eating, and doing other stuff.... it may be a stretch. For me, it may last about an hour or two, but that's it. FYI, I've played Settlers Of Catan and this game, but never Yahtzee. I guess I'm the kind of person who's only into dice game for short bursts at a time.

Other notes....
-may wanna get a dice tray.... or anythign to keep the dice from falling on the floor. It'll likely be a pain in the neck to try to recover one or 2 dice that fall on the floor to the seat in front or behind you in cramped coach seats. If you're doing this often, it may get too disruptive towards other passengers.
-Speaking of which, I dunno, but the constant sound of dice rolling may bother nearby passengers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice game can be easily played everywhere as you can use the game box lid to roll the dice into. It's a fun game, although I doubt I would play it ever for hours. From me you'll get a clear recommendation.

If you are a fan of Settlers you might concider to check the Catan Travel edition. This is also easily playable everywhere. We often play it in train. Of course, by default this game is for 3-4 players, but using the official 2p variant you can play it with 2 as well and it's a lot of fun.

Another good dice game that can be used on journeys is Monopoly Express. It's also playable everywhere.

For both, Catan Dice Game and Monopoly Express, don't forget your biro as you need something to write with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Hastwell
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

-Speaking of which, I dunno, but the constant sound of dice rolling may bother nearby passengers


If you have a dice tray lined with felt cloth then the sound should be quite muffled.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
those short golf pencils or those you find at IKEAs are ideal. Go buy some furniture! Otherwise, some folks have suggested printing out a color copy, laminating it, and then using a dry erase marker to allow reuse of the same sheets over and over again. Bonus is you may be able to get high on the fumes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game yesterday for this very reason... that and it looked like fun and I like the online version.

I was thinking about doing the color printout and laminating it, then making a wood case that is felt lined on the inside with clips for 1, 2, or 4 pens (depending on how much room there is) and a spot for the dice. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be fun... in the end after paying for the laminating, finding small dry-erase markers, spending all the time building the box, etc... this little game is probably going to cost me $50!

Maybe I can just find a decent case somewhere to put all the stuff in without having to build it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
I just got this game yesterday for this very reason... that and it looked like fun and I like the online version.

I was thinking about doing the color printout and laminating it, then making a wood case that is felt lined on the inside with clips for 1, 2, or 4 pens (depending on how much room there is) and a spot for the dice. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be fun... in the end after paying for the laminating, finding small dry-erase markers, spending all the time building the box, etc... this little game is probably going to cost me $50!

Maybe I can just find a decent case somewhere to put all the stuff in without having to build it.
couldn't you forgo building the box and just use the game box to roll the dice in? Don't know if that would save enough $$ though
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
couldn't you forgo building the box and just use the game box to roll the dice in? Don't know if that would save enough $$ though


Of course I could... and that's probably what will happen for a while... but the box could be scaled down in depth quite a bit if I did something custom. I could probably get it to fit in a large pocket as long as the laminated sheets aren't too big.

I also want to print out both the regular color score sheet and the advanced version color score sheet and have them laminated back-to-back.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.