Thumb up
1 Posts

La Isla Bohnitâ» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan König
flag msg tools
Shipping beans? Can this be fun? Should be, but I'm afraid this idea falls rather flat after only a few minutes.
This review will mostly cover the differences from the base game

This expansion adds 2 new beans (Mokkabohnen & Wachsbohnen) as well as a home harbour for each player (2-7) and ships, 2 tradeships for each player and a pirateship for each player. 3rd beanfields are also included if you don't have any before. These use a new design which I rather like.

The home harbours does not actually add anything to the game play but is only there to mark what color your tradeships have. The pirate ships all are identical (why? There is a place that could have been used to add player color on a flag. )

On to gameplay:
In addition to the actual planting/harvesting/selling of beans, you may now also harvest beans that you put on the ships, in order to sell later. The only point of the ships seems to be to allow for the pirates to raid them, other than that, it would have worked rather better with some form of warehouses instead. That would have kept the main game clean and not added at lot of stuff just for the sake of adding.

Like I said, the players can also buy pirate ships, which can raid the other players ships and steal beans from them. The raided player does always have the option of selling the beans on the ship so there is seldom a point in raiding someone. However, you may only sell beans off a ship once you get money from doing so, so if there isn't enough beans on the ship to raise a bean-dollar, then a raid can be successful.

The last thing you can use the ships for is to go to 'La Isla Bohnitâ' and pick up harvested beans there.

In all this expansion does not add anything interesting to the basic game, but the price (in Europe, I have the german edition) is rather good (~6€) so anyone who likes Bohnanza should be able to pick the game up. They will find a rather dull expansion though that is only interesting for the two player variant which works better than the rest of the expansion.

Total: 6.5/10. 6/10 for the multiplayer version and 7/10 with 2 players.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.