Thumb up
1 Posts

The Way» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Not the Way I'll be Going rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
flag msg tools
After trying out my first print and play game recently in Zombie in My Pocket and really enjoying it I thought I'd see what else was out there. After looking through BGG for a bit I came across The Way and looking like it might be something my wife and I could play together I decided to give it a go.

Well as a P&P game the quality is really up to you. Not being sure that I'd like it or not I jst printed it onto simple plain white A4 paper and cut out the squares. There are 34 sqaures - 25 laid out in a grid in 4 in the hand of each of the two players.

The idea is to move your marker (anything you want to use - we used Carassonne meeples) from one corner diagonally across the board to the opposite corner and back again. On your turn you can turn a square 90 degrees (and so realigning the route) or place a card out of your hand and then move your marker one space.

Since you take turns moving one space at a time and can't ever do more than that, you basically swap progress with your opponent. Both moving at approximately the same rate. Even in getting 'held up' briefly didn't really make that much difference. The interaction between players is limited and only occurs when your paths overlap.

The whole game is laid out before you, which is not necessarily a good thing. It's far too simple and there aren't a great deal of decisions to make and the ones you do have to make aren't at all varied. This may be a good game for parents/teachers to play with children as it's not too long and perhaps as a teaching tool; about planning ahead for example. For adults it can be summed up in one word: uninteresting.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.