Subject: Game suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kenn whitney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Trying to get my wife into gaming. I would love some suggestions as to a few titles I could get her into. I introduced her to Settlers of Catan (and the Cities expansion)and we have had a lot of fun with that. Pretty much everyone I have forced to play has had a blast with it. We also own ticket to ride. Fun, but a bit simplistic. Ticket doesn't see nearly the amount of play that Settlers does.
Looking for a game with a lot of depth but not a lot of rules. Don't think she would be into wargames. Don't want to get to far into the fantasy or science fiction realm, at least not yet. Ive seen a few posts with suggestions, but the games just don't seem like they would hold my attention. Thanks in advance..K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Riley
United States
California
flag msg tools
My wife didnt like Settlers of Catan, but she does like Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers and Carcassonne both great games! Those are the only ones I have been able to get her to try as of yet, but Im still working on that, GL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From our experience and from lighter to heavier are:

1) Hey, That's My Fish! - quick strategic abstract with cute theme
2) Balloon Cup - fun euro-type game with lots of choices (use the designer's original rules!!!)
3) Hive - excellent and short super-strategic abstract that is addictive!
4) Freight Train - set collection over 3 "days"/rounds with changing strategy for each "day"/round
5) Caesar & Cleopatra - battle-type card game that is very engaging, fun and strategic
6) Louis XIV - medium euro-type game that is just fascinating and great for 2 players!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want major depth with easy rules, go with Carcassonne or Through the Desert. Both these games are terrific with 2 or 3. Through the Desert is better for 4, but I wouldn't play either with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that my girlfriend enjoys playing:
Caesar & Cleopatra
Odin's Ravens
Thebes
The Downfall of Pompeii

If you want some depth:
Mr. Jack
Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Hera and Zeus, Jambo, Hive, Mr. Jack, as my 2 player games, My gf likes them a lot. (she still wants to play settlers, which was our original game).

Fairy tale is quite popular with my non-gaming friends but not good with 2 people, better with 3 atleast.

I don't enjoy Carcassone with 2 people as much, too much min/max, takes away the luck of the draw I find, since you know you will eventually draw your tile.

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Powell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Forum Romanum- it takes a ton of foresight to figure out how to win.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/302

And a personal favorite, Anno 1503.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8166

Carcassone is good, but have you tried the other versions/types of Settlers?

Settlers of the stoneage

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4394

Starfarers of catan

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1897

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think Stone Age would be a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg
Thebes
Biblios
Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Elasund: The First City.

Around the same rules complexity of Settlers, but with a bit less luck, more depth, and a bit more direct conflict. It's my personal favourite in the Catan series.

I'd also highly recommend Domaine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my non-gaming partner to Carcassonne , then to Return of the Heroes and then to Arkham Horror. That progression worked for me - now my partner is open to trying any game regardless of complexity or theme. Our only problem is finding the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
Of my relatively small game collection, my wife enjoys Babel abd Carcassonne.

She has also plaed one 2-player game of Hansa and seemed to enjoy it, but she doesn't request that one over the above two.

I haven't had a chance to introduce her to Through the Desert and Lost Cities yet, but I'm sure those will work as well. Lost Cities might be too light for your taste though.

Good luck!

Oh, how could I forget Pandemic! There's a good chance both you and your wife both will enjoy the ease of play, yet high tension and working together on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kenn whitney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for posting. I've got a lot of stuff to look at. I'm sure we can find something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.