Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Grumbaz' ability card "Charge" reads: "...in a space containing an enemy or encounter."

The card "Intercept" reads: "... to a space containing an enemy or encounter TOKEN."

What exactly is the difference between "encounter" and "encounter token"?

Thanks,

Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless someone knows different, they are the same thing. There are no actual encounter tokens in the game. There are encounter markers, which show undefeated encounters, and the rules do refer to them as "tokens" at one point.

"Intercept" should be the berserk equivalent of "charge", but as I don't have the game, I can't tell exactly what they do here. They may have totally different effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Baginski
Germany
49074 Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, had the same question several times.
There are many unclarified terms and circumstances, disappointing.

That calls loud for a 12-pages long FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are encounters printed on the board. Maybe they count as encounters but not as tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
There are encounters printed on the board. Maybe they count as encounters but not as tokens?

If that's what the rules are intending it would make sense. If you think about it you would be able to "charge" a boss or named mob (which is what I consider the printed encounters to be) but you wouldn't be able to "intercept" him, though I don't know if that makes thematic sense as I'm not familiar with the "intercept" skill or what it does in WoW.

Definitely something requiring a clarification, but otherwise I would go with Dinadan's interpretation till then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intercept and charge are very similar in the wow computer game. The only difference being is that while in combat, you can't charge again. While you can continue to intercept as much as you like. Both have the same mechanic though, instance movement to enemy and you stun them.

So it seems to make sense to me, that you can use intercept to hit tokens. While you can't use charge. Not sure though. I've not even read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game either, but I am an avid WoW player and have read the rules to this game. Looks like Charge is only usable in the same space as the enemy or encounter (to an unknown benefit as I don't know what the rest of the card says). Intercept is used to gain some extra movement and get you to a desired encounter or enemy that is just out of reach. Which fits thematically with the Intercept ability in the computer game.

At least thats my interpretation of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Riley341 wrote:
I don't have the game either, but I am an avid WoW player and have read the rules to this game. Looks like Charge is only usable in the same space as the enemy or encounter (to an unknown benefit as I don't know what the rest of the card says). Intercept is used to gain some extra movement and get you to a desired encounter or enemy that is just out of reach. Which fits thematically with the Intercept ability in the computer game.

At least thats my interpretation of it...

Here's the complete text of the cards:

Intercept: -Requires Berserker Stance- "Play at the end of your challenge phase to move up to 3 spaces to a space containing an enemy character or encounter token."

Charge: -Requires Battle Stance- "You may move 1 additional space as long as you end your movement in a space containing an enemy character or encounter."

Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Useless knowledge, perhaps, but in the computer game Charge awards you rage (the resource warriors spend to use special abilities) and stuns the target for 1 second. Only usable when you are not in combat as said earlier in the thread.

Intercept costs rage instead of giving you rage, and stuns for 3 seconds. It is also "imba", as it were. Usable in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the card text, it makes things much easier for those of us still waiting for the game.

It looks like Intercept indeed can only be used to move to a space containing a character or an undefeated encounter token (not a printed encounter).

Charge can be used to get an extra space of movement, but only if it will end in a space with a character, undefeated encounter token or an encounter space.

The big question now is that since intercept occurs at the end of your challenge phase, do you get to fight the character /undefeated encounter immediately or not (in effect another challenge phase). I would think not, else you could have multiple challenges in a single turn. I think the move bonus alone is enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes seeing the rest of the cards' text helps a lot to understand. What are the energy costs and timing?

I think thematically it does make sense. Charge charges you into a new battle. Intercept allows you to chase another target at the end of your last battle.

A question that came up for myself is that are you able to use these skills when you are on a space with "Aggro". Unless the card text says otherwise I would think the answer is a yes, since Aggro is a rulebook rule and the cards override those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.