Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I am an old boargamer that used to play a lot of Avalon Hill games (Aquire, Panzer Blitz, Republic of Rome), Axis and Allies, and Risk (Lord of the Rings, standard), but have gotten away from it now that I have gone to college. I would like to get back into it, so I was wondering is someboady could recomend some games (since I am not familiar with much outside AH) besides the ones above with the following qualificatios:

1. Has to be playable and still fun with only two people
2. I would prefer it to have a playing time of around 3 hrs. It can be longer, I just don't have 8 hours on a weekend to play a board game.
3. I don't mind some dice-rolling, but I would like enough strategy that you can overcome not rolling well (unlike pure risk).

Here are some games I would be interested in knowing your opinion about: Risk Godstorm, Cosmic encounter, battle cry, any new Avalon Hill, the new or old Shogun, Imperial, memoir 44, Renaissance, Age of Mythology, Hammer of the SCots, Tigris and Euphrates, Antike, Battlelore.

If you know about any of these or can recomend some more, I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the items you listed are quite good, expect for age of mythology that game just didn't cut it, I'd play it sometimes but for someone getting back into it I'd stay away from it.

Cosmic encounter is a good game but its not new and currently not in print though a new edition is due out this year.

It sounds like you like what we call here "ameritrash", Don't take it as a negative. Plenty of AT fans here. But also sounds like you value strategic decision making over dice rolling. I'm a "eurogamer" but I do dabble in the ameritrash side.

So here is what I recommend,
Antike, that you listed is an excellent blend of AT And Euro
Age of Empires III
Star craft the board game

I'm not sure if antike plays well with 2 players but you can check the game page and look at the poll for number of players. Age of empires and star craft both do well with 2-players and scale up to 5 playres well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
The SCS series from Muli Man Publishing. It has a core standard rules with suplimental for each individual game. Playing time is going to be longer but if you opponent doesn't suffer from decision paralasis they are do-able. The Panzer Grenadier series from Avavlanche Press. Combat Commader is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some recent releases from GMT would really fit into your criteria: Manoeuvre, FAB: The Bulge. You might also consider Commands & Colors: Ancients which is a slightly more indepth game using the Memoir 44 system.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 are also excellent choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend Command and Colors: Ancients. It's for two players, and games usually only take an hour or less, so you can get in a lot of games. It also comes with a lot of scenarios, so the replayability is very high. I think this is the perfect one for getting back into wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out:

Manoeuvre (a fun Napoleonic abstract wargame; modular maps & 8 armies to choose from)
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (playable and still fun with 2, but better with more)
Galactic Emperor (just released...oops, just saw that this one won't play with 2)
Commands & Colors: Ancients (Battle Cry is OOP...if you can't find it, this would be my first choice, although some prefer Memoir '44 or BattleLore; all 4 use the same basic system but each has a different flavor)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so far. Can some one please explain the difference between a Euro and American style game (obviously some gamers don't hold the latter in high regard).

Also, some clarification. The games do not have to be new. Most of what I played before were old Avalon Hill games, so anything newer then that (non-cardboard playing pieces) I would consider "new."

Any opinions on War of the Ring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="dios_et_dios"]Thanks so far. Can some one please explain the difference between a Euro and American style game (obviously some gamers don't hold the latter in high regard).
[q]

The eurogames are charactierized by little to know luck, decision making and some complain no theme or pasted on themes. Chess is sort of an example. They are more like mutually trying to solve a puzzle. Many common game mechanisms are resource or money management, tile placing creating sets and are generally based on scoreing (victory points).

Ameritrash is generally more toward war games. Luck is accepted even encoraged. A lot of people love to roll dice for damage or to hit. Of course as you said in a good AT game strategy should overcome bad luck but it can decide a close game. Risk, advanced squad leader are typical old school AT games. Of course like the euro's they have advanced a lot. I'm not much of an AT player so i'd listen others on this list.

No one mentioned hybrids which are games that do both, that is why I recommended Age of Empires III and antike to you. Antike is a hybrid, AofE III is really 90% euro, but I know a lot or AT fans that like it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
Hey all, I am an old boargamer that used to play a lot of Avalon Hill games

A fine choice would be Warriors of God. Comes in at just around three hours, very simple ruleset, exquisite play, combat is resolved with dice but is still manageable tactically. Beautiful components and BIG chits with BIG writing on them for us old men. Very little downtime, as movement is in small bursts instead of all at once. This is a good one to not pass up, and it was just released this month. About $35 online.

Warriors of God is published by Multiman Publishing, which purchased a big chunk of Avalon Hill's titles after they went out of business. Good pedigree.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
Thanks so far. Can some one please explain the difference between a Euro and American style game (obviously some gamers don't hold the latter in high regard).

Also, some clarification. The games do not have to be new. Most of what I played before were old Avalon Hill games, so anything newer then that (non-cardboard playing pieces) I would consider "new."

I'll give you my shot at a short answer...Euro style games tend to be more focused on game mechanics, maybe less random (i.e., usually no dice), with wooden bits, while American style games tend to be more thematic, a bit more random (i.e., usually some dice), with plastic bits/figures. As for me, as long as the game is fun, it doesn't matter what label you put on it, I'll play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

War of the Ring is an excellent game, possibly even my favourite game. It's highly strategic, isn't overly dependent on luck (though that's arguable when it comes to the very end of the game), and has a strong narrative that develops as a direct result of the players' decisions.

I wasn't raised on the old Avalon Hill games but, based on their reputations, I doubt you'd find the rulebook daunting (some do).

It does take a little longer than 3 hours, though. My first game took a little more than 5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barefoot Killer wrote:
It does take a little longer than 3 hours, though. My first game took a little more than 5 hours.

I think you should be able to play in under 3 hours once both players know it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.