Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a relative newbie to the game myself, and wanting to teach it to others, I'm wondering about trying just the Early War (first 3 turns). What would the typical score be at that point?

So really, maybe what I'm asking is, if we only play the first 3 turns, how should we determine a winner? Or should we handicap the game with starting VP's for the USA, for example?

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept record of the VP tallies for my past 32 games. I got following average tallies for the various turns:

T1: -1,5625
T2: -2,40625
T3: -2,65625
T4: -3,90625
T5: -3,4375
T6: -0,125
T7: -1,5
T8: 0,75
T9: -0,03125
T10: -0,375
Final: 0,375

I once game my Soviet opponent 3 VPs and another 5 VPs. So that skews the results as well as about half of them using the Wargameroom League Setup, which gives the US one extra influence in W Europe and a further one in Iran. Also, I prefer playing the US and so 20 of those games have me playing the US, which again distorts the results since I won of the 30 non-VP-adjusted games 26, while losing 4.

So the -2,6 VPs at the end of turn 3 is arguably far from doing USSR strength justice. I'd say -6 VP would be the lower ceiling of what the USSR ought to have in VPs at that stage.

Well, this is really just a wild guess, but perhaps you might go with the following victory criteria:

-10 = substantive USSR victory
-6 = marginal USSR victory
-5 = draw
0 = marginal US victory
>0 = sustantive USSR victory

Anyway, for a shorter game, the late war scenario provided in a C3I magazine edition might be more fun. Haven't got it myself, but such a scenario sounds like a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
Well, this is really just a wild guess, but perhaps you might go with the following victory criteria:

-5 = draw
0 = marginal US victory
>0 = sustantive USSR victory

I believe you probably mean:

-5 = draw
-4 = marginal US victory
0 = sustantive US victory

This way the scale is continuous without gaps and the margins are the same...but maybe I missed your meaning. Plus I fixed the typo that left USSR victory at both ends of the spectrum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the C3I scenario available online or do you have to buy the magazine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I will try that point spread.

Is that in C3i Magazine Issue #18? I'd be interested to hear more about it. Can anyone provide details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Severian596 wrote:

-5 = draw
-4 = marginal US victory
0 = sustantive US victory

So is it easier to just start the USA with 5 VP's and play the early war game from there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what Charles said, yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinkun wrote:
Thanks. I will try that point spread.

Is that in C3i Magazine Issue #18? I'd be interested to hear more about it. Can anyone provide details?

Colin, you'll have to get the magazine. The scenario at start influences are said to be somewhat lacking, though (the US starts dominant? in the Middle East).

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sampson
United States
Kent
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My experience with two games of the short scenario (starting in mid-game) at CabFest in Columbus OH last September was a little disappointing. It took perhaps half the time of a full TS game but seemed to lack much of the tension and hand management of the full game. I doubt I'll play that again - a full TS game is simply so much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.