Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing War of the Ring for a while now, but there is one thing in the rules that I still find a little weird. When it comes to the secret movement of the fellowship, I've found it a little bit weird that the FP player does not have to plot out a route in advance that they must stick to. There have been games where I, as the FP player, have had a fellowship route in mind and, when the Shadow player starts planting Nazgul in the territories where he assumes I might be based on the progress track, I can suddenly change my mind and decide that the fellowship went a different way altogether. It seems unfair to do it that way, but since the rules don't state that I can't, what reason is there not to? I'm not sure if the game was designed this way deliberately, or if it is merely an oversight.

I also play Fury of Dracula in which Dracula's secret movement is pretty much the most important mechanic in the game. In FOD, the Dracula player places location cards face down to indicate his trail. They do not get turned over unless a hunter player lands on a location that is in the trail. I wonder if WotR would benefit from a mechanic such as this. Or, alternatively, if the FP player should be forced to keep track of the fellowship's movement by keeping a hidden, but written record of it to resolve disputes with the Shadow player.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
I'm not sure if the game was designed this way deliberately, or if it is merely an oversight.

IMO, this was an deliberate design decision and resulted in a simple and elegant 'hidden movement' mechanic that did not have a any tedious bookkeeping (a first, in my book).

VanMark wrote:
There have been games where I, as the FP player, have had a fellowship route in mind and, when the Shadow player starts planting Nazgul in the territories where he assumes I might be based on the progress track, I can suddenly change my mind and decide that the fellowship went a different way altogether. It seems unfair to do it that way, but since the rules don't state that I can't, what reason is there not to?

It's not unfair and shows the beauty of the system: it just simulates that the SP was 'wrong'. And you know what happens when you assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
I've been playing War of the Ring for a while now, but there is one thing in the rules that I still find a little weird. When it comes to the secret movement of the fellowship, I've found it a little bit weird that the FP player does not have to plot out a route in advance that they must stick to. There have been games where I, as the FP player, have had a fellowship route in mind and, when the Shadow player starts planting Nazgul in the territories where he assumes I might be based on the progress track, I can suddenly change my mind and decide that the fellowship went a different way altogether. It seems unfair to do it that way, but since the rules don't state that I can't, what reason is there not to? I'm not sure if the game was designed this way deliberately, or if it is merely an oversight.

I also play Fury of Dracula in which Dracula's secret movement is pretty much the most important mechanic in the game. In FOD, the Dracula player places location cards face down to indicate his trail. They do not get turned over unless a hunter player lands on a location that is in the trail. I wonder if WotR would benefit from a mechanic such as this. Or, alternatively, if the FP player should be forced to keep track of the fellowship's movement by keeping a hidden, but written record of it to resolve disputes with the Shadow player.

Any thoughts?

I've thought this would be a welcome addition for *years*. An extra deck of cards would probably be pretty costly, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a fair number of games and have never seen this as a huge advantage for the Fellowship. The longer you keep your eyes off of them as the Shadow, the more likely they are to pop up just about anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see where you're coming from, but I think the way it's implemented is a better match when considering the rest of the mechanics. For one example, it gives the Free Peoples player as much freedom as the Shadow player to alter his plan based on the strategy and character cards he picks up each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
There have been games where I, as the FP player, have had a fellowship route in mind and, when the Shadow player starts planting Nazgul in the territories where he assumes I might be based on the progress track, I can suddenly change my mind and decide that the fellowship went a different way altogether.

Why is the SP putting the Nazgul in the spaces where he thinks the Fellowhip *might* go, rather than the space where the Fellowship figure actually IS? There's almost no benefit for having the Nazgul in a spot where they might end up, except to have one waiting if they are revealed to increase their hunt chances the next time the fellowship moves. But you can do that by moving the Nazgul after they are revealed anyway.

I guess for me, I don't see enough added benefit with this method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
I've been playing War of the Ring for a while now, but there is one thing in the rules that I still find a little weird. When it comes to the secret movement of the fellowship, I've found it a little bit weird that the FP player does not have to plot out a route in advance that they must stick to. There have been games where I, as the FP player, have had a fellowship route in mind and, when the Shadow player starts planting Nazgul in the territories where he assumes I might be based on the progress track, I can suddenly change my mind and decide that the fellowship went a different way altogether. It seems unfair to do it that way, but since the rules don't state that I can't, what reason is there not to?

why would the Fellowship stick slavishly to a disadvantagous route? it is not the route that matters in game terms but the amount of SA stuff in the fellowship's current location that determines the likelihood success of the Hunt. To get away from that the Fellowship must declare themselves elsewhere. As it is, there is little scope for avoiding the enemy. Either Moria or the Gap of Rohan must be traversed and both are stiff with the minions of Sauron.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the game was designed this way deliberately, or if it is merely an oversight.

In the book, and as shown in the film, the Fellowship attempt the Caradhras pass and find it blocked by a snowstorm [generated by Saruman], so they retrace their steps and enter the Moria instead. None of this is known to Sauron, and the game portrays this lack of knowledge despite the SA player seeing it all on-board. It is a simple & clever design mechanic.

Quote:

Any thoughts?

yes, the situations are different. The vampire hunters know the count exists and could probably track his movements using the Sunday newspapers, because he keeps biting important people in a rather high-profile manner. Sauron has very little current knowledge of the Ring, except for a lead about "hobbits" and "the Shire" led to his best operatives being very roughly handled over 1000 miles away from HQ. An idea he lacks completely is that the Ring will be taken to Orodruin and destroyed. He has no idea where it is, who has got it or what they intend, but his underlings have been told to report any and all news connected to it as a first priority. Sauron has good evidence that someone has it somewhere, but clearly if someone has the Ring they are not using it openly against him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is at least one huge difference between the mechanics of this game and that of Fury of Dracula. That is, in WotR, the enemy knows the ultimate destination of the FSP. Whereas Dracula can just run around all over Europe (if I understand the latter correctly).

It works just fine the way it is and doesn't detract from the theme or enjoyment. It just shows how difficult it is for the shadow player to hunt down and capture the fellowship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
except for a lead about "hobbits" and "the Shire"

Not that it matters much for this discussion, but I believe it was "Baggins" and "Shire". (virtually slap me if you must )

As for the discussion, I like the fellowship track as it is written. Depending on when the fellowship is revealed or declared the route changes. This is yet another mechanic which creates a different game every time.

If a route had to be pre-determined, then after a few games the FP player would learn the "optimum" route (accounting for SP also knowing the optimum defense for said routes) and use it every time, thus diminsihing replayability to a degree.

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Everything about the way the Fellowship works flows from a Saruon perspective. The fellowship is a schroedinger-cat that always pops up and squeezes out of "should haves" and "near-certain death" situations. Essentially, Sauron's anti-fellowship moves are an open book to the Fellowship, which always plays that game with perfect information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. After reading your replies, I have a better understanding about why the fellowship movement is played in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.