Subject: Any info? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Ruby
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any information on this game?
How does it play with more than 1?
IS it long?
What do you do?
Thankssauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
According to the game page, it accommodates 1-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Briefly, the game contains a set of pre-programmed mystery stories. These are laid out in a numbered paragraph format similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book.

There are basic rules (a co-operative effort) and advanced rules (competitive). Each player gets a detective with a background, contacts and expertise in certain areas. In a turn they move their pawn (no dice) to a location and look up a clue using the clue chart:

...which they read aloud to all players in the basic game, or keep to themselves if playing advanced.

If they think they've solved it, the player can announce their theory and check the answer which is written in mirrored text at the back of the clue book. If any part of that is incorrect, they say bad words™ and they're out of the game.

Game time really depends on the deductive strengths of the players.

I've been meaning to get this to the table. If I do, I'll try to write up a session on it. Don't hold your breath, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bickers
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After buying this one online years ago, I finally got it out of the shrinkwrap ... and I think it's unplayable.

The mysteries are fine, the writing is good, but the paragraph numbering system is absolutely inscrutable. Compared with the elegant and clean system of "Consulting Detective," this is a convoluted mess. Documentation is practically non-existent, and what is there is confusing.

It's a shame, because the Ellery Queen stories were always about such precision and logic, and this game is not logical at all, at least in terms of design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had any problem with it. If you'd like to describe exactly what it was that confused you, perhaps I could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To resurrect an old tread. We purchased an in-shrink copy and started to play to night. The main two questions we had were

1) Looking up Clues. In case #1 there appears to be a clue index in the scenario itself. Does this supersede the general clue index?, or are the two indexes complementary in anyay way?

2. Turn track. There is a turn chart where you move a pawn/coin down the turn track each turn. What do the matrix of number represent in the turn track sheet and how do they correspond to clue indexes, if any? When a turn in advanced, what happens with all the numbers/lookups to the right of the turn marker?

-dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you still need help with this? I played the first scenario last weekend and it went mostly fine. I'll elaborate if you need me to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
Do you still need help with this? I played the first scenario last weekend and it went mostly fine. I'll elaborate if you need me to.

That would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GearPimp wrote:
To resurrect an old tread. We purchased an in-shrink copy and started to play to night. The main two questions we had were

1) Looking up Clues. In case #1 there appears to be a clue index in the scenario itself. Does this supersede the general clue index?, or are the two indexes complementary in anyay way?

2. Turn track. There is a turn chart where you move a pawn/coin down the turn track each turn. What do the matrix of number represent in the turn track sheet and how do they correspond to clue indexes, if any? When a turn in advanced, what happens with all the numbers/lookups to the right of the turn marker?

-dave

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; only seeing this now.

You appear to be seeing the Turn Track as some sort of matrix. It's not - it's simply a turn track for up to 144 turns. When the turn marker moves from 12 at the bottom of the first column, it goes to 13 at the top of the next, etc. The turns are numbered 1 - 144; if your game went longer (something I've never seen happen) you could wrap back to the start.

The clue index you mentioned is what you use for looking up clues, as described in the diagram posted above. Each case has its own clue index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
GearPimp wrote:

-dave

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; only seeing this now.

You appear to be seeing the Turn Track as some sort of matrix. It's not - it's simply a turn track for up to 144 turns. When the turn marker moves from 12 at the bottom of the first column, it goes to 13 at the top of the next, etc. The turns are numbered 1 - 144; if your game went longer (something I've never seen happen) you could wrap back to the start.

The clue index you mentioned is what you use for looking up clues, as described in the diagram posted above. Each case has its own clue index.

Ah hah! The light bulb just went on regarding the turn track. We were totally looking at it differently. I think we were confusing the clue vs location lookups at our first and only pass through the game/instructions. With that bit of confusion the turn "matrix" of numbers totally put the mental breaks on.

I think with this clarification on the turn track and a fresh look at the clue indexes, we should be good to go. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.