Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an Italian FAQ for this game, so I spent some time translating it from bad machine-english to english. laugh
I had to make a judgement call and omit sections that directly contradicted the English rulebook, though
Seems a little funny to spend this much effort that will likely go unnoticed!

---------------------------
GENERAL
DOUBTS ON THE FIRST TURN OF THE GAME?
The first Turn of the game is of preparation for both players. In this Turn it is not possible to attack and event cards are not drawn. If the hand of one of the players is lacking in dungeon cards is possible to discard it and to draw a new hand (do not shuffle the discarded cards back into the deck). This operation is only at the beginning of the game. In successive turns a lack of dungeon cards will result in defeat.

WHAT IF THE DECK RUNS OUT?
Do not reshuffle - continue to play with the remaining resources until the game ends. If the event deck is exhausted, reshuffle the discarded events.

WHAT IS THE NUMBER UNDER THE SPHERE?
The number of abilities on the card. It has no direct interaction with the game.

IF A HERO DIES DOES HE LOSE EVERYTHING?
Yes. All cards on a hero are discarded when he dies.

CAN A PLAYER PLAY NONE OF THE CARDS IN HIS HAND AND SKIP DIRECTLY TO PHASE 3 OF HIS TURN?
Yes, but only if he has dungeon cards in play - otherwise his opponent will win!

CAN THE HEROES DIVIDE INTO MULTIPLE ROOMS IN THE SAME TURN?
No. The party may only enter one room per turn.

DO I HAVE TO VISIT MY OPPONENT'S EMPTY ROOMS TO ELIMINATE HIM?
Yes, you must visit every room.

IF THE MONSTER DEFEATS THE HEROES, DOES IT REMAIN FACE UP OR RETURN TO HIDING?
Both options are acceptable based on player preference and agreement.

HOW DO TRAPS INTERACT WITH COMBAT?
Traps are revealed and used just like monsters. The trap's attack and defense are added to the fight, and ability cards can be played to use the trap's abilities. The trap is discarded after the fight.

DOES THE TRAP DETECTOR ABILITY REMOVE TRAPS FROM THE ROOM?
No, they only reveal the traps - the advantage is in knowing their presence.

WHO DECIDES WHAT TAKES WOUNDS?
The player taking wounds chooses which of his heroes/monsters are to be eliminated. The exception to this rule is represented from the powers Charm, Death Touch, and Petrify.

EVENTS
CAN THE EFFECT OF AN EVENT BE TURNED TO THE OPPONENT?
No, events always affect the player who drew them unless otherwise specified.

CAN I HOLD EVENTS AND PLAY THEM LATER?
No, events are resolved immediately.

ARE LEVEL UP, SURPRISE, AND CURSE ASSIGNED TO A HERO OR ARE THEY DISCARDED?
The Surprise card is discarded at the end of the turn - if the party does not enter a room then the bonus is wasted. The Curse and Level Up cards are both assigned to a hero and are discarded upon the hero's death. It is possible to remove the Cursed Ring using Counter Magic.

DOES THE SURPRISE CARD APPLY TO ALL HEROES OR TO THE GROUP?
The bonus is applied to the total value of the party.

WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF THE MAPMAKER ERROR CARD?
It only skips phase 3 - you still take the rest of your turn, but your heroes cannot enter a room.

THE MASS SUICIDE CARD FORCES ME TO VISIT A ROOM?
Yes, and your heroes must visit a room with a monster if possible.

DO CLUMSY AND DON'T SHOVE, PLEASE! MAKE ME ALSO LOSE ITEMS AND POTIONS STILL IN MY HAND?
No, only such cards assigned to your heroes (even if face-down).

DOES SECRET PASSAGE EXTEND TO FUTURE CARDS PLAYED IN THE ROOM OR DOES IT ONLY APPLY TO CARDS IN THE ROOM AT THE TIME?
Both options are acceptable based on player preference and agreement.

I DREW THE CRISIS CARD. WHAT HAPPENS?
You must remove your hero from the game. It is not possible to cure or resurrect the hero in the future.

HOW DOES THE FOUNTAIN OF RESURRECTION WORK?
It only brings back a hero who has been killed. If none of your heroes have been killed then the card does nothing.

HOW DOES THE ROOM CARD WORK?
It acts as if it were a room of 1-4 dungeon cards. It cannot be added to an existing room, not can it be expanded by more dungeon cards.

HOW DOES GAME MASTER MISTAKE WORK?
This card allows a large monster to be placed into a small room - for example, a Red Dragon into a size 1 room.

THE PRISONER BELONGS TO NO CLASS, HOW DOES THAT WORK?
While he is a hero, the Prisoner does not belong to any class and therefore cannot use any item with a class requirement.

ROOMS AND DUNGEON CARDS
THE DUNGEON CARDS ARE USED TO CONSTRUCT THE ROOMS WHICH CONTAIN MONSTER AND TRAP CARDS?
Yes, the 16 dungeon cards in the player's deck are used to create rooms which can be filled with monster and/or trap cards. The dungeon cards become a room as soon as they are played.

IS THERE A LIMIT?
You can have up to 6 rooms in play at once. A room can never be composed of more than 6 dungeon cards.

CAN I PLAY AN EMPTY ROOM?
Yes.

HOW MANY ROOMS CAN I PLAY IN A TURN?
There is no limit, but remember that you can only have 6 rooms in play at once.

CAN I MOVE OR REPLACE MONSTERS AND TRAPS IN PLAY?
No. Once assigned to a room, monsters and traps cannot move.

CAN I MODIFY A ROOM IN PLAY?
You can expand a room with more dungeon cards and populate the room with more monsters. However, you cannot replace any monster or trap already in the room. You cannot join two rooms already in play, nor can you divide a room.

ITEMS
HOW DO I USE ITEMS?
Items are played on a hero face-down, and only revealed when used.

CAN I TRADE ITEMS BETWEEN HEROES?
Yes, but any cards moved are revealed.

CAN I TRADE ITEMS BETWEEN HEROES ANYTIME?
No, you cannot trade items once the heroes are in a room.

CAN I TURN MY ITEMS FACE-DOWN ONCE MY HEROES WIN A FIGHT?
Yes, the rules say nothing contrary to this and the items are only revealed when used, so it is logical to assert that when they stop using them, the items are returned to their face-down state.

CAN A HERO USE A HEALING POTION ON HIMSELF?
Aboslutely not. The dead hero is discarded along with all the items he is carrying. Only another hero with a Healing potion in the same room as the killed hero can prevent his death.

WHEN DO I USE THE HEALING POTION?
Immediately after the battle in which the hero would be killed.

HOW DOES THE HEALING POTION DIFFER FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF RESURRECTION?
Both allow a killed hero to return to the game, but the potion must be used immediately when the hero is killed while the fountain returns a dead hero from previous turns.

CAN I PLAY ITEMS ON MONSTERS?
No, only heroes.

IS THERE A LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF ITEMS A HERO CAN CARRY?
No, but remember that when a hero is killed all of his items are discarded.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DEAL WITH CURSED ITEMS FROM THE EVENT DECK?
Cursed items can be removed using Counter Magic or some events. It is considered an item except it is always face-up, and as an event its effect is immediate and obligatory.

WHAT DOES THE ICON ON THE UPPER LEFT CORNER MEAN?
Most item cards have a ring symbol, meaning that any hero can use that item. Some item cards in the event deck have an icon representing one of the hero classes, meaning only a hero of that class can use the item.

ABILITIES
HOW ARE THE ABILITIES OF HEROES USED?
The heroes can use 1 ability in response to 1 ability used by the monster. If the monsters do not use abilities then the heroes cannot use them.

CAN I ONLY USE AN ABILITY ONCE?
No, you can use an ability as many times as you have ability cards (even repeating the same one), but note: the monsters cannot use another ability if the heroes did not answer to the first one.

IS THE MAGICAL CREATURE ABILITY ALWAYS ACTIVE?
No, it must be activated using an ability card.

WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF PETRIFY AND WHEN DOES IT END?
The hero is petrified. The card will not be able to leave the room, use items, or participate in combat. He will remain in this state until the monster is killed.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PETRIFY AND PARALYZE?
Both immobilize the hero, but petrification protects the hero from attack whil paralysis leaves him unarmed to the fury of the monster. In practice, this means a petrified hero can never be killed in a fight but a paralyzed hero can.

DOES THE PALADIN's FEAR IMMUNITY AFFECT ALL HEROES OR ONLY HIMSELF?
The immunity spreads to the entire party.

WHO CHOOSES THE VICTIM OF THE ABILITIES CHARM, DEATH TOUCH, AND PETRIFY?
The player who used these powers.

WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF THE CHARM ABILITY AND WHEN DOES IT END?
Charm allows a monster to seduce a hero, forcing it to fight for the monsters. The hero is freed when the monster is killed.

DOES THE CHARMED HERO USE ITEMS AND ABILITIES AGAINST HIS COMPANIONS?
Yes, the hero will fight using all his resources. The hero is considered a monster in all other respects, so the controller of the charming monster can use ability cards to power the hero's abilities.

IF THE HEROES INFLICT A WOUND, CAN THE MONSTER'S OWNER TAKE THE CHARMED HERO AS A CASUALTY?
No, the monster dies. The hero is the last to die, so if two wounds are inflicted against a monster and a charmed hero, the hero would die as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was noticed and appreciated. =)

I believe some of these are addressed in the English expansions, but certainly not all of them. There's a few here that befuddle me a bit.

Quote:
CAN I TURN MY ITEMS FACE-DOWN ONCE MY HEROES WIN A FIGHT?
Yes, the rules say nothing contrary to this and the items are only revealed when used, so it is logical to assert that when they stop using them, the items are returned to their face-down state.

HOW ARE THE ABILITIES OF HEROES USED?
The heroes can use 1 ability in response to 1 ability used by the monster. If the monsters do not use abilities then the heroes cannot use them.

CAN I ONLY USE AN ABILITY ONCE?
No, you can use an ability as many times as you have ability cards (even repeating the same one), but note: the monsters cannot use another ability if the heroes did not answer to the first one.

I guess I've been playing abilities incorrectly. I didn't realize it was a back-and-forth situation, and certainly missed that the Heroes may not use ANY abilities unless the Monster player does one first. Odd.

I also need to check what the timing is for revealing items, then. If the items can be turned back face-down, then I suppose it must be before the "Ability Phase", else a monster's Acid ability would never come into play.

I had started tinkering out some very different house rules, but I'll have to first try it again with the abilities done correctly to see if that fixes things a bit. Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm still not 100% sure about some things, but the abilities definitely seem to be played that way - I also ran Stratelibri's forums through babelfish which sorta confirmed it. I couldn't find anything on there about item flipping, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.