Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mitchell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strat-O-Matic Baseball is truly a classic game that allows one to manage and/or act as the general manager of a major league baseball team. The game is based upon the on field performance of actual major league players, and if one plays a full season of games, the player and team statistics are amazingly realistic and accurate.

The game engine is simple, but it reproduces virtually the entire range of plays that are possible in real life.

The game comes in two versions: a cards and dice version that has been around since 1962, as well as a computer version. The game engine is virtually identical for both versions, although the computer version provides a higher degree of sophistication.

Be warned: this is not a hand-eye coordination game, and the computer edition has no stimulating graphics. Knowledge of players and baseball game strategy is needed for a high level of success. This is a game for the serious baseball fan who wants the challenge of managing a major league club.

The game comes with players organized into their real-life teams, but the players can be moved around, and the game easily lends itself to creating make-believe teams by drafting or trading players.

I played the cards and dice version for 20 years before moving to the computer version. The main advantage of the computer version is the automatic compilation and reporting of standings and statistics.

It is helpful to experience the cards and dice version in order to understand how the game engine works. A game can be played in 20 to 30 minutes, and even faster if one hurries play.

The game packaging is rather ordinary. Marketing and presentation are clearly not areas of interest for the Strat-O-Matic Game Company.

I have played numerous baseball simulations, and there are some very good ones (APBA, Diamond Mind, and Dynasty immediately come to mind). But all things considered, I rank Strat-O-Matic Baseball at the head of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this game compare with APBA?

I recently acquired a copy of APBA and like it, but have been dissapointed with the, "one die-roll, one at bat" aspect of the game. Would be good to have a bit more tension with the ball/strike game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out if you want some very competitive SOM and fun to boot.

http://startournaments.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me where I can find the computer version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:

The Sporting News web site has a much cleaner online store than Stratomatic's site. They sell both the traditional pencil and paper game as well as the computer version:

http://www.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/store/

TK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go right to the website strat-o-matic.com

version 13. The computer game is great, really streamlines play. I love the drafting and the ability to autoplay half the game and finish it out if close when any real in game strategy would take place.

Except I ran the full season one year and they had the Cubs win so a fatal flaw in the auto manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:

Except I ran the full season one year and they had the Cubs win so a fatal flaw in the auto manager.:p

That is so not funny. I bleed Cubbie blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warmachine519 wrote:
historyguy71 wrote:

The Sporting News web site has a much cleaner online store than Stratomatic's site. They sell both the traditional pencil and paper game as well as the computer version:

http://www.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/store/

TK.

So do you need anything besides the CD Rom? Can you draft with AI doing the other teams and then play out seasons using the CD Rom, or is it just a means to get to the online play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:

Except I ran the full season one year and they had the Cubs win so a fatal flaw in the auto manager.

Were you running the 1908 Cubs? 100 years without a championship and still counting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By purchasing the CD-ROM version of the game, you can install it and play on your own computer. You can also play Strat-O-Matic Baseball online at the Sporting News website, but I have not tried that myself.

The game comes with a drafting utility, and yes, it can be used to automatically draft a prescribed number of teams while you manually draft the players for your own team. The draft utility is quite sophisticated, but when I have used it, I have generally disagreed with some of its choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewjhoskins wrote:
Scoobysnacks wrote:

Were you running the 1908 Cubs? 100 years without a championship and still counting...

No more 'Next Year' - Go Cubs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.