Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Earlier today I wanted to find a dexterity golf game where you flick a disk (ball) into a slot (cup). So I jumped on BBG and ran a search but could not find what I was looking for. Then I thought about games that I own like PitchCar and Crokinole. If I combine the two I might be able to make my own golf game. Stay with me here.

Suppose I build an incomplete PitchCar track with about 4-6 connected pieces in it. Then take off the rails on all of the straights. This could be the equivalent to one hole in golf. Still with me? Your object is to start at the starting line (tee box) and get to the last track segment (green) in as little moves as possible. Going of the track is out of bounds, and flipping the car upside down is considered a hazard. They are both one stroke penalties.

So were does Crokinole fit in? Consider it the putting green, only magnified. Depending on where you stop on the last track segment in PitchCar, this will determine the position in which you place your disk on the Crokinole board. (If you are close to the edge of the track, you place it close to the edge on the Crok' board. If your are near the center of the track segment, you place it near the center on the Crok' board.) Then you flick (putt) your disk into the 20 point hole (cup) in as little moves as possible. Get the picture?

What about hole in ones? If, in one flick, you are able to “drive” your disk to the center of the last track segment, you have a chance for a hole in one. You then place your disk on the Crok' board and take a shot at the 20 point hole. It's just like taking a free shot at the 20 in Crokinole.

You could also use jumps to make island greens. Do I lay up or go for the green? Hmmm.

So what do you think dexterity fans? Can it work?

EDIT: Can't get these pictures to show up right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, that sounds great. I'm actually surprised someone hasn't come up with something like this before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sounds like fun. I don't like the idea of having to set up 18 different Pitchcar tracks for every hole, that could be the annoying bit. But the whole idea of having a 'fairway' board, and a 'green' board sounds great.

It reminds me of that pen + paper game where you 'flick' the pen to take a shot.

Ideally, you could take your idea, run with it, mass produce pre-set 'fairway' tiles (just as in pitchcar), which would give a more 'golfy' feel to the game, and then, as you indicated use the Crokinole board for the green.

All up, it looks like a great idea. I own pitchcar, but if you made a similar design that was green and curvy (as the pitchcar roads are straight and black - doesn't go well with the golfing theme) then I'd buy it (if the price was right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking you can even take the jump from a PitchCar set and put it so when you hit the jump, it'll land on the Crokinole board.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I was thinking you can even take the jump from a PitchCar set and put it so when you hit the jump, it'll land on the Crokinole board.

Now there's an idea. Why didn't I come up with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

Now there's an idea. Why didn't I come up with that?

Can I have co-design rights?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Can I have co-design rights? -DK

Sure. You can also help with costs too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see someone (else) with a woodworking bent making a (or even several) pieces that fit onto the pitchcar track and provide the green (and maybe the tee as well) without the need for the crokinole board.

A basic round "green", an oval, a rectangle, maybe something with some odd angles... All with several holes and plugs so that you can choose which hole to use on a given hole. Or maybe even numbered plugs so you can have a random determination.

I may have to get someone to work on this for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play it!

sounds like a neat idea..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Use a different finger, depending on proximity to the hole, to represent clubs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A matt varnish along the edges to emulate 'rough'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
How about ... ramps of different angles to represent the different clubs ... then you can have some trees to play over. Subbuteo Rugbyused a plastic ramp for drop-kicking the plastic rugby ball in a similar way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about just paying $3.50 and going miniature golfing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:

or different discs, each with different degrees of roughness\slideability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

because it's cold and rainy. because it costs more than $3.50. because there isn't a good course around here and what with the cost of gas and all it's not convenient to go to the good course further away. because I don't want to play minature golf, I want to play a dexterity boardgame of real golf. because I want to play after For Sale and before Bohnanza all in one evening. because the minature golf course is closed for the night and I can't get another trespassing arrest. and because I want to drink beer while I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is very good, but instead of Crokinole you'd need specialized "greens". Every green isn't flat, and cup placement differs on courses too.

I bet some of the more wood-crafty types might be interested in putting your game idea into game reality.

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually built this a bunch of years ago. We created a bunch of fairway sections similar to pitchcar, and we had a "green" board modeled after a crokinole board. All were reasonably polished like a crokinole board surface.
Then we played it.
Where it all went to crap was it took too damned long to set up each hole. Playing one went quick enough, but then there was the drudgery of building the next one. Oh, it was a little fun for the first couple, but after that it wasn't.
We chucked the works into a box, and I think it made fine firewood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Mmmmmm..... Beer. Glug glug glug....
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this: start by building a putting green-themed crokinole board, so that if you reach the same conclusion as Stan and throw the rest in the fireplace, you still have a crokinole board. Leave the deck attached only with screws, so that when you want to play croki-golf, you can remove it and push it together with your rectangular fairway board.

The fairway board would be maybe four feet long and two feet wide, with a concave end that would allow it to fit together with the crokinole deck. The fairway board would have lots of dowel holes that you'd use to place your various features (trees, sandtraps, walls, ramps, windmills, dinosaurs, whatever) all with dowel-pegs on the bottom. So the only set-up that would be required each round is to move features around on the fairway board, which wouldn't take too long. You could either have pre-planned set-ups, or play that the loser of the previous hole gets to decide how the features are set up on the next one.

Hmmm, I've got an spare crokinole deck in the basement that I never could decide what color to stain--I'm on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

WHERE do you miniature golf... 1985? More like $8 on up these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool idea! I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I like it a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:

How about choosing one hand to drive and the other hand to putt for an entire round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea Rudy! I also like the thought process and brainstorming that's occurring in here. It would be cool to have sections of wood that could all interlock in some way. Not too many though as it could get rather expensive. But if you had something like 4 fairway sections, 3 different greens, each hole could be set up quite differently. And if the greens had more than one interlocking side, then the hole placement in each hole of the course could differ as well.

I also like the idea of holes that would be drilled into each section. Then you could place wooden doweling in certain areas to act as trees. To create the rough would be easy. Take some heavy grit sandpaper and rough up the outer areas of the wood. That way if you try shooting through it, the disc would slow up immensely.

I'm definitely bookmarking this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I played a plastic mini-golf game when I was a kid, my neighbour had it. Searched for it and found the following which isn't it since the old game wasn't that expensive and didn't use a real club (that game used something more lika a toothpick sized club if I remember correctly):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crazy-Golf-Bag-Mini-Obstacles/dp/B00...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Groat
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea.
I'll have to talk to a couple of wood working friends of mine and see if we can't make a "hole" or two.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.