Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lohr
United States
East China
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I'm very new to the whole Euro-gaming scene, so I don't really know where to start...

I seem to always hear about the "Settlers of Catan", so I guess I'll start there, but does anyone have any other suggestions for someone new to the whole Euro-games thing???

I've played A LOT of different board games over the years, but they've usually been of the Milton Bradley or Parker Brothers line...

Oh... and let me just add that I'm a fan of games with lots of cool bits and pieces!! The more the Better!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend Ticket to Ride highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the whole euro gaming thing and graduate right to wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend taking out a second mortgage.

Heres my geeklist of games I play (like and dislike), started a year ago.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32431

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ticket to Ride is easier but too straightforward, and not a very big step up from Monopoly. I would deeply recommend Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Start small.

Go slow.

If at all possible try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Skip the whole euro gaming thing and graduate right to wargaming.

What he said.

But seriously, stick with your interests. What kind of games do you enjoy? What elements of gaming do you enjoy?

I'd only recommend Settlers of Catan as a starting point. Most of the gamers around me have found that it gets dull quickly -- even for newcomers. But then again, others love it.

What board games have you enjoyed in the past, and why?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
mark5ok wrote:
I'm very new to the whole Euro-gaming scene, so I don't really know where to start...

I seem to always hear about the "Settlers of Catan", so I guess I'll start there, but does anyone have any other suggestions for someone new to the whole Euro-games thing???

I've played A LOT of different board games over the years, but they've usually been of the Milton Bradley or Parker Brothers line...

Welcome!!

The Settlers of Catan is certainly one of the most popular starting places, although I much prefer Keythedral for that style of game.

A few other games that are very simple to learn yet provide a lot of fun for even experienced gamers include:

Through the Desert

Pandemic

Hey, That's My Fish!

Or for just 2 players:

Hive

Enjoy!!

Edit: Having just taken a peek at your profile, I'll throw in a couple more suggestions. Based on the fact that you seem to be a big Clue fan, I would highly recommend Mystery of the Abbey. And Mr. Jack is a truly amazing, 2-player game of bluffing and deduction that could be described as a cross between Clue and Chess. Also, based on your enjoyment of Conquest of the Empire, I would also highly recommend Nexus Ops as a very simple, expand-and-conquer type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Tikal
Carcassonne
Notre Dame
Vegas Showdown
or if you'd like to try a wareuro
Air Baron is a little older, but I think it's a really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers is kind of like the Lenny Bruce of boardgaming: revolutionary, but not quite as entertaining as it was in its day.

Ticket to Ride is a good suggestion, but you really can't go wrong with Carcassonne. If you're looking for something you can play with a bunch of people, you might want to try Apples to Apples. Finally, Bohnanza is an interesting little card game with a strong negotiation element. These are all pretty affordable, and I think you'd enjoy any of them.

If you're not strictly interested in Eurogames, I think Memoir '44 is an excellent addition to any collection. It's a fast-playing and relatively simple light wargame, and it's one of my all time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark5ok wrote:
I seem to always hear about the "Settlers of Catan", so I guess I'll start there, but does anyone have any other suggestions for someone new to the whole Euro-games thing??? I've played A LOT of different board games over the years, but they've usually been of the Milton Bradley or Parker Brothers line...

There are a lot of great games to start with. Settlers of Catan is certainly a good start.

If you're looking for a game with auctions/bidding, I would recommend Ra or Medici. These are games you'll keep coming back to even after you've broadened your Euro-horizons, so to speak.

Acquire is an American-born "Euro" that's a good step up from Monopoly, but the latest edition has gotten some bad reviews on component quality; an older edition may be more satisfactory.

Vinci is a great little dice-less conquest game based on civilization selection and expansion.

I also recommend Industrial Waste and Blue Moon City.

Among card games, I would recommend For Sale, Turn the Tide, Slide 5 (6 Nimmt), and (if you can find a copy) Money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark and welcome to this great world.

The good news is you are at the right spot to begin your gaming journey.

The bad news is this place will only fuel your gaming journey.

One great place to start might be with Gate Play Games. They are an online game store that sell bundles based on people's level of play and very helpful to people starting out.

By the way, I am in know way affiliated with them, I just am aware that they have those bundles. Certainly any of the online stores are good to go to.

Now, if you have a local game store that has open gaming then that is a great place to go because you can play games before you buy them.

There are endless games that are great to start with, it will become more about what do you like in games? Do you like heavy theme, abstracts, bidding, area control or majority. Some people like a good amount of dice and luck, others want more chess like control. The other question is how many pople do you have around to play games with? There are great 4 player games but if most of the time it is you and one other person then those games won't be that helpful.

Here are some things you can do:

1. How many people do you have to game with?

Think about who and how many people you have to play games with.Look closley at people's comments for each game and see what they say about the number of people it takes to make the game shine. For example, Catan does not play well at all with 2 player and even though El Grande says 3 to 5 players, it only plays well with 5.

Maybe you want a few games that shine with two players and a few that can take more players. Citadels is a great game to cover a host of player ranges.

2. Leangth of Game

If you buy a bunch of games that take two-hours to play then what do you do when you only have 45 minutes? Diversify your initial games in regard to leangth of play. This also holds true with the weight of a game

3. Style or mechanic

Ticket To Ride is a great game. I say get it. But then don't run out and make your next game Elfenland or even Turn and Taxis and Hacienda. Ticket To Ride is a fun card set colection game where you press your luck between geting cards and making sure you get the routes you want before being blocked out. Yet, so can be said for several other games. Diversirfy, get a bidding game like RA or For Sale. Then look at maybe a Co-Op game (Shadows Over Camelot or Pandemic), war game (Memoir 44 or Twilight Struggle),stock market/ Investment Tree games (Acquire or Goa) and tile placement (Carcasonne Hunter and Gather or Fjordes).

4. Ease of Play and Teaching

Look at games that initially are easy to teach and play to others who have never played these games. Later you can invest in more heavier games.

A few great games of the top of my head:

Kingsburg (over catan)
For Sale or Medici (for group bidding play but easy to teach)
Niagara, Ticket To Ride, Zooloretto, Pomppei (for intro level Euro)
Alhambrah, Goa, China for a little more.

Check out the Kosmos line for great two player games.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest:

Ticket to Ride
Winner's Circle --> seems to appeal to a wide audience (in my experience)
Stone Age
Carcassonne --> one of the first games I bought
Kingsburg --> step up from Settlers of Catan
Lost Cities (2 player)
Thurn & Taxis
Vikings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

I'd agree with that. Having played TtR and Settlers, I much prefer the former as a introductory (and fun) game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Randolph
United States
Strawberry Plains
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phrim wrote:

Another vote for TtR, but for a different reason. You have the ability to test it out online at DaysofWonder.com. Carcassone and Settlers of Catan also have on line versions, although not "official". Search here at BGG for "on line games" to get some links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I HIGHLY recommend Gateplay’s three packages for those new to the hobby and are especially interested in Euros. I’m not suggesting you purchase the games there, just that they did a great job picking essentials in each category.

The beginner’s pack includes:

-Ticket to Ride
-Carcassonne
-Bohnanza
-Lost Cities
-Catan

http://www.gateplay.com/caliber-1-gateway-games.aspx

The intermediate pack includes:

-Alhambra
-Thurn and Taxis
-Notre Dame
-El Grande
-Ra

http://www.gateplay.com/caliber-2-gateway-games.aspx

The advanced pack includes:

-Puerto Rico
-Power Grid
-Tigris & Euphrates
-Caylus
-The Princes of Florence

http://www.gateplay.com/caliber-3-gateway-games.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go directly to Ameri-trash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
Zooloretto

Prestonisnormal wrote:
China

Prestonisnormal wrote:
Alhambra

These three are wonderful ideas. All pretty easy to learn and really fun, with a good amount of depth as well. Check them out!

Zooloretto
China
Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shortlist of great intro games:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Pandemic
(out of print at the moment)

As others have requested, if you we know more about your general interests we could recommend more specifics.

If possible, try games out before you buy. Post here asking for game groups in your area.

gateplay.com, thoughthammer.com, and timewellspent.org are some cheap places online to get games.

Here are the games that are popular at the moment
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=docustomquery...
However, some of these are faily "heavy" games. On each individual games' page, look for a "Avg. Game Weight:" of less than 3, I suggest.

To read comments about a game, click the number next to "Num Ratings:"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find a list of games that fit the bill right here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15532

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Transamerica! Nice and easy and I honestly like it better than Ticket to Ride basically because it's easier to explain and you don't end up with those ugly scenes where you want to cut Grandma off from finishing her routes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple tips to make better use of the money you spend on games.

Try not to get a bunch of games with similar mechanics, you probably will not play more than your favorite 2-4 of a type.

Pay attention not only to your tastes in games but the preferences of people you game with often. If those people don't like a game, you will not be able to play it.

Also pay attention to what games have lots of replayability and staying power before spending alot of money on games. Some new games become fads with alot of plays in a short time and then people burn out on them and aren't interested in playing them. If you buy such a game after the fad has passed, you might never find opponents to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien
Canada
Ste-Therese
QC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Run to get Settler of Catan, and get back home before you are tempted by the multitude of expansion (the Seafarer is the best one to start with IMHO)

If you like the euro gaming thing, get Ticket to Ride, and maybe Carcassonne, although I would go with Pandemic first, just not to waste yourself on building games. (I don't like Carcassonne myself, but a lot of people do)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark, Welcome to our world....join us (in best Zombie voice)
Anyway I would seriously suggest you look for a gaming group in your local area. You will be able to try out a variety of games, with the help of other more experienced players to assist you with any rules queries etc you may have. You'll make a whole batch of new friends and a nice variety of opponents to game with. You can get into the 'Pokemon' effect of 'gotta play em all' without having to buy them all! Enjoy the hobby and above all have fun (and win)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Start small.

Go slow.

If at all possible try before you buy.

I like the "try it before you buy it rule" - but start slow?!?!? Come on now - everyone like it fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.