Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a pretty long while since I've had time to post anything here, but I've made it out to the East Coast, started a new job, and bought a new house in the last couple of months. Not a lot of time for gaming---I never realized how much time setting up a house would take (welcome to real world, I guess).

The new house has two large living room areas, so I always had an ulterior motive of turning one of them into a game room. The funny thing is, when we were looking for furniture, it was my girlfriend who kept mentioning that maybe we should get a game table as well. (When setting up the house, I've learned to keep my opinion on the down low). I kept saying that it was something that was low priority, but she was pretty keen on the idea. Sometimes life is good.

Well, since we didn't have that much furniture to begin with, we spent a lot of time furniture shopping. I guess the new hotness are pub level dining tables, which you can find in almost any furniture store (even the discount furniture stores that we ended up going to). So we ended up killing two birds with one stone. We got a nice dining room table with six chairs. I actually find the pub level chairs very comfortable. It's 54" x 42", which is fairly large on its own right.

But the tabletop can slide out and reveal a hidden butterfly leaf. The cool thing is that unlike some other expandable tables, only the tabletop moves, not the table legs, so it's actually very easy to extend the table. The gears are pretty well-oiled, so it smoothly opens up.

Once you take out the hidden leaf, the table becomes a full size pub table at 54" x 54". This is a pretty large area, enough to fit several TTR maps...

...as well as juuuuust big enough to fit Catan Card Game. devil (Although this is closed table in the picture). By the way, that's my tiny principality in the distance, where I ended up getting hammered 13-5. My girlfriend likes her cities big and sprawling.

Another benefit was that this ended up using the rather small dining room area, leaving the two larger living room areas open. We'll probably turn one into a standard tv room, and the other in to a full study/library. It's a pretty comfortable gaming area, however, with lots of light from the windows. It should fit at least six people pretty easily as well. Although we do have to go upstairs to the gaming closet and bring down the boxes, it's a small price to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Brandt
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is impressive. Have you tried setting up Railroad Tycoon or Arkham Horror? Those are the real tests (expansions included)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm embarrassed to admit that we don't really have very many games that would actually require such a large table...I guess I should turn in my BG Geek badge... blush

However, this just gives me more incentive to get them. devil

Actually, one of the major reasons we needed to get a bigger table was that before we were playing games on our small coffee table, which just barely worked. It'll be nice to actually play a game of Carcassonne and not have the map fall off the sides of the table:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
leungd wrote:
But the tabletop can slide out and reveal a hidden butterfly leaf. The cool thing is that unlike some other expandable tables, only the tabletop moves, not the table legs, so it's actually very easy to extend the table.

My game dining table is like this as well. I have the Bjursta table from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116262). It's big, strong and heavy (though you wouldn't tell from the dinky photo), and conceals the two leafs which can be revealed and inserted by just sliding the tabletop without moving the legs. However, it adds length only, not width, so it's not as ideal for gaming as yours. Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice. Where did it come from?
I've recently considered meeting up with local folks for game nights, but can't contribute much as far as table space goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:

My game dining table is like this as well. I have the Bjursta table from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116262). It's big, strong and heavy (though you wouldn't tell from the dinky photo), and conceals the two leafs which can be revealed and inserted by just sliding the tabletop without moving the legs. However, it adds length only, not width, so it's not as ideal for gaming as yours. Nice!

I think I've seen your Ikea table...it's pretty nice. While we were setting up the house, there was a time when we went to Ikea just about every weekend. It was starting to drive me crazy! But you just can't beat all the cheap little random pieces of stuff---50 cent hangers! $20 book cases!

sbluerock wrote:

Nice. Where did it come from?
I've recently considered meeting up with local folks for game nights, but can't contribute much as far as table space goes.

We ended up getting the table at Value City Furniture, although I think I saw it in a flyer for Raymour and Flanagan as well. They had quite a few pub level dining tables that were similar, but we liked the design and color of this one. We ended up haggling a little over the price and delivery date, and I'm sure someone with a more negotiation skill could probably have gotten it down even lower. Come to think of it, I bet it could be an idea for a game... laugh It's a little pricier than Ikea, coming out to around $750 for the table and six chairs, but it's not too bad for all that you get. I really like the quality and it doubles as a dining room table as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazingly, that is just like the table that our group has used for many years. The previous host of the group that moved away had that table, and the current host has that table. It's the perfect size for 4-8 people and can accommodate large games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea. I may have to check into it. My wife is tired of our table and I see there is a Value City near us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.