Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last two apartments both had really good lighting in my gaming area, an overhead hanging lamp that focused the light downwards over the whole gaming table. One guy in my gaming group complained a little about the glare but everybody else liked it.

But my current apartment isn't ideal for boardgames. The gaming area doesn't have any overhead lighting at all, just a ceiling fan. Plenty of windows, so the overall ambient light is fine on a sunny day. But when it get really cloudy or just dark outside, I need to rely on floorlamps, and they don't really cover the whole gaming table adequately.

So I'm pondering two potential solutions, and also am open to other suggestions:

1. Get a torchiere-style lamp. Those are the tall floor lamps that direct really bright light at the ceiling, such that the reflection off the ceiling provides light for the whole room. While this would theoretically work because I have a white ceiling, it is a nine-foot ceiling, so maybe the reflection won't be as strong. And in general, I'm not sure if the torchiere lamp would provide bright enough lighting for boardgaming.

2. Get permission from my landlord to add a lamp on to the bottom of the ceiling fan. It would basically be a bright downward facing bulb without a lamp shade, because the shade would partially block the airflow from the fan. I'm not sure if this is ideal either, because there would be more glare for the players sitting around the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I actually go with suggestion #1. I have a couple of bright "Uplighters" as they are called here and there is no glare. Remember you not only get the light reflected from the ceiling but the filtered light from the bottom of the shade.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your gaming.

Kindest regards,

Jim O'Neill
Est. 1949

PS: The added advantage of #1 is that , when you move, you can take the uplighters with you and that is important to a Scotsman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Baton Rouge
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I have only found lighting to be a problem when the light's angle of incidence to the table or board is such that the angle of reflection passes through a player's sight line. In other words, an overhead light has never been a problem, but a light off to the side would create a glare angle. So it is my opinion that installing a light on your fan, if it is directly over the table, would create less glare than an arrangement of floor lamps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use option #1. I fact 2 lights in opposite corners work great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the Torchiere Style Lamp that uses a normal bulb and then put in the 150 Compact Flouresence bulb (that does not overdraw the amperage on the light) and gotten good light from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I misread the post. I thought it was 'A question about lightning' and I was very excited to see the questions and answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.