Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Mercer
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am not the only one on the geek who loves Pirates. To combine Pirates with board games would be awesomesauce. What games do you recommend that have a pirate theme and is actually a great game. There just seems to be so many ways you could go with pirates between ship battles to plundering to all of the above. I know there are a few heavier war games like black beard and a few lighter fare, but what is a good heavy to medium game about Pirates. Thanks for all your help you scarvy dogsarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plunder! is a very good game once you understand the rules, one of the few pirates games that the theme doesn't feel pasted on.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13347-Plunder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Lords of the Spanish Main Not small, not simple, not short but quite amazingly wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot
Pirate's Cove
Blackbeard

I believe are all pirate themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love games!

I love Pirates!

Sadly, they often suck when combined!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seminole wrote:
I know I am not the only one on the geek who loves Pirates. To combine Pirates with board games would be awesomesauce. What games do you recommend that have a pirate theme and is actually a great game. There just seems to be so many ways you could go with pirates between ship battles to plundering to all of the above. I know there are a few heavier war games like black beard and a few lighter fare, but what is a good heavy to medium game about Pirates. Thanks for all your help you scarvy dogsarrrh

I've only played two, but enjoyed them.

Pirates of the Spanish Main Customizable collectible tabletop game/no gameboard. Players maneuver individual ships of differing capabilities and crews for treasure. Battles occur when ships are within gun range, rolling dice to blow off masts and even ram/board. First set features pirates, Spaniards, & British ships. Many expansions add more nationalities (French, American, Barbary pirates, Asian pirates), sea monsters, phantom ghost ships, forts, and more.

Pirate's Cove Boardgame in which each player has a ship and customizes it with various added capabilites as time goes on. As ships bo from port to port, island to island, treasure is retrieved and delivered. Watch out for the Royal Navy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capitaine Grappin wrote:
Plunder! is a very good game once you understand the rules, one of the few pirates games that the theme doesn't feel pasted on.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13347-Plunder

Of the pirate games I've played or extensively read about, Plunder is the way to go. However, it will take a bit of work. The game is seriously enhanced by incorporating many of the author's later clarifications... which can be found here:

http://okami31.tripod.com/plunder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Yuen
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
I haven't tried it myself, yet, but Jamaica is looking pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sea Rovers, Sea Rovers, Sea Rovers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Pirate's Cove: Search for the treasure game over Pirate's Cove

edited to fix wrong Pirate's Cove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to throw in a card game, I highly recommend Treasure Fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mercer
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like some really good recomendations, I will have to try a few of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy to medium? I'd rule out Pirates Cove. Wizkid's Pirate's of the Spanish Main as well.

Blackbeard appears to me as a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a pirate memory game?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you just like to look at art with pirates while playing a game, or if you are looking to play a game that's similar to playing Sid Meier's Pirates. Loot, Caribbean, Cartagena, I Go!, Sword & Skull, Rum & Pirates and Fruit Spy just have pirate art on them, but they're plain old games underneath. There's not bad to have around or play, but just so you know what you're getting when you buy it. Games that start to have various degrees of pirate activity to them are Pirate's Cove, Plunder and Blackbeard. These let you do various things like plundering some loot, getting new ships and letters of marque. I personally don't think Pirate's Cove is very piraty and would classify it under the previous category. Out of the ones I've played, Blackbeard seems to be the most like the computer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The top Pirate themed games that I've played so far are Pirates Cove and Jamaica. Pirates Cove is your basic treasure seeking/fame point seeking/combat game at heart but it is very well designed with very nice components. For a change of pace, you have Jamaica which is a pirate racing game that throws in some ship to ship combat for good measure and has outstanding components. Both are very streamlined and are light on the rules but heavy in the fun factor. Pirates Cove is being reprinted by Days Of Wonder this month and Jamaica is scheduled for its' U.S. release by Asmodee Games in August. You really can't go wrong with either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seminole wrote:

Merchants & Marauders fits your description perfectly - unfortunately it does not have a publisher yet. So while it will not serve your current needs, it may be worth keeping in mind for future consideration. Prototypes are going out to three capable publishers this week or the next, and I'm feeling pretty confident about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mercer
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants and Marauduers looks awesome but will it ever come out? Also jamica looks really nice but way to expensive right now. Maybe when it gets a US publisher. Pirates Cove also looks good but is it a light game? Merchants and Marauduers really would scratch that itch and the option to not be a pirate would really please a lot of people. I honestly just want to play with some ship pieces and plunder. Who doesn't like to plunder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seminole wrote:
Merchants and Marauduers looks awesome but will it ever come out? Also jamica looks really nice but way to expensive right now. Maybe when it gets a US publisher. Pirates Cove also looks good but is it a light game? Merchants and Marauduers really would scratch that itch and the option to not be a pirate would really please a lot of people. I honestly just want to play with some ship pieces and plunder. Who doesn't like to plunder?

Well I can't promise anything

All I can say is that we have some pretty hefty interest in it. But should that fail, I'm not sure what we will do. At first I think we will just fight not to kill ourselves. Then at some point I think some kind of P500 (know the term?) system may be an option. But we will see...

Cross your fingers (or take some hostages) arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mercer
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well here is hoping that it comes out. Its a shame that there aren't many good pirate games out there. Some of the best ideas get left behind because some company thinks something else will be big but then it flops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Pirates are indeed awesome. The one game that I've played and can recommend is Sword and Skull. It doesn't get much love here on the Geek, but its an entertaining game and the theme fits nicely. Some people call it Pirate Monopoly, but its certainly much better than that. I'm not going to lie, its a fairly light game, but the components are nice and it can be finished in roughly an hour. I found it for $15 and I think I got my money's worth out of it. My friends certainly enjoy playing it. Give it a shot if you don't mind beer and pretzel games.

The other two pirate games on my radar are: Pirate's Cove and BlackBeard. I've heard really good things about both of them. Although I've heard that Blackbeard won't be available again until late 2008...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few years back at GenCon UK, I played a demo of a board game that had a Piratey theme. The game was about exploring an island for buried treasure. Can't remember much about the game, except that there was an element of claiming territory on the island, cutting off other players from parts of the island.

Anyone any idea what the game was?

Thanks,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
see this review/discussion for the GMT version/update of Blackbeard. Even the designer weighs in Blackbeard may or may not be for you, but both sides present their cases in considerable depth.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/326453

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Splatch Cervelli
Italy
Catania
flag msg tools
Don't forget Winds Of Plunder. Very nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sacrificabile wrote:
Don't forget Winds Of Plunder. Very nice game.
It's the "All grown up" version of Pirates Cove. I like them both, but for different reasons and with different groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.