Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
well,

thanks for all you feedback last time (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/307727) now i am ready for some new options...

from last time:

Brass: Lancashire has impressed me (despite this report: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/326371!!!) but is pretty long and i have a few issues with the amount of luck involved in the cards.

Caylus Magna Carta is OK, very dry and analytical but OK. though last time out i enjoyed a bit more and was getting the hang of it a bit more (still came last tho')

La Città is not bad... needs more plays. i don't think it will ever become a favourite but seems ok. seems a bit lacking in choices and sometimes appears too simplistic.

Amun-Re is definitely my favourite from last time. like the different bidding rounds and the decisions on the regions. the cards add a bit of luck but not too bad. nice and quick too.

---

still going strong are:

Struggle of Empires still getting plays and still enjoyable.

Leonardo da Vinci is still good, though a couple of friends are tiring of this one now... shame.

and, somewhat worryingly... Risk: The Lord of the Rings is becoming a favourite at the mo. - who can complain about an hour and a half run through this dice classic eh? EH?

---

so with all that in mind. here is my short list:

Agricola - well, not sure if this is gonna be a bit too much of a 'new' puerto rico and yet another VP machine game, but its the one too watch, right?
Imperial - recommended last time and it does sound good.
Galactic Emperor - Puerto rico clone in space? hmmm... but some combat - which would be good... like the theme a bit more than farming too.
Tinners' Trail - like his other stuff & a nice quick game to boot. (and bidding is always good, yer?)
El Grande - another recommendation from last time. not sure if this is gonna add something to my collection but, yer...
Shogun - economic war game. cool. big crazy tower. very cool.

well... convince me or suggest something else!! - i'm looking to buy 4 (or so!!)

thanks,

malcolm

[edit: i play lots of 3 player games... but 2 player friendly would be nice. as would 4, 5, or 6 players]

[edit2: a couple of other notable games i own (for reference)
Puerto rico: i find 'okay' - so very well designed but is it work or fun?
power grid: very good but too long and 'does yer head in'. also only really gets interesting towards the end.
last night on earth: fun but too simple and luck driven for much play. also theme is 'daft' acording to some friends]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - I think you need to own... there's got to be a reason for all the hype and it has surged in the ratings chart (if you believe in it). Aside from that, it DOES seem a little analytical as well. If you didn't care much for Caylus, I might hesitate since it also has a worker placement mechanism.

Imperial - Very good game of conquest mixed with business (stock-style) speculation and control

Galactic Emperor - I've played this 5 times now and I absolutely love it. Plays in a reasonable amount of time, great theme, nice euro mechanics, and the story really unfolds well. At first, you are just exploring and building up unique technologies and amassing your space fleet. Then, you start to expand and engage in some political warfare (perhaps even claiming a star base on the other side of the galaxy), and before you know it, you are engaged in all-out war, warping through the blackhole and destroying entire fleets. Before the end gets too drawn out, it seems to end at just the right time.

I haven't played Tinner's Trail.

El Grande - haven't played either but my friends have and its one of their classics.

Shogun - I've read the rules and it also has a nice euro feel with some combat. I still want to try this game though...

Another suggestion is A Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris and Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinner's Trail went down great in our game group although I didnt partake in the games!

El Grande I love , some find it dry though..

Game of Thrones ( someone else mentioned ) is one of my all time faves also , and you might want to take a look at new release - Senji - similar to AGOT but with new bells and whistles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
LankyEngineer wrote:
Tigris and Euphrates

cheers, but c'mon folks - sell it to me...

i see the rating and see how people dig it but what's it gonna do for me?

[edit: what about the card game version? i see it gets some 'hate' around here but what about it as a quicker, lighter, cheeper super-filler game?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hmmm... not a lot of takers on this?

well, what am i after?

interaction.
some combat.
good theme.
a mixture of lengths/weights. would be nice to get at least 1 or 2 shorter games
fun. some games can be in danger of turning into 'work' for me...
something different. certainly looking for something a little different from some of the VP engine games around.

infact a non-VP winning condition game would be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E

interaction. - the only way to win - turtling is not an option
some combat. - oh boy yes, nearly every turn
good theme. - 2 out of 3 ain't bad
fun. - all about opportunism and risk taking, no long analysis
something different. - so different it has quite a steep learning curve despite its simple rule set, quite counterintuitive
a non-VP winning condition game well, there are VPs but it is all about balancing the 4 colours, not roaring away in 1.

But of course, what you need most is a roadmap, you could have tried pretty much all of these with me and Langy in Bolton by now.

All dayer on the 21st September. I'm just saying, try before you buy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
T&E

interaction. - the only way to win - turtling is not an option
some combat. - oh boy yes, nearly every turn
good theme. - 2 out of 3 ain't bad
fun. - all about opportunism and risk taking, no long analysis
something different. - so different it has quite a steep learning curve despite its simple rule set, quite counterintuitive
a non-VP winning condition game well, there are VPs but it is all about balancing the 4 colours, not roaring away in 1.

But of course, what you need most is a roadmap, you could have tried pretty much all of these with me and Langy in Bolton by now.

All dayer on the 21st September. I'm just saying, try before you buy...

yer, the 'all dayer'... its strange - i seem to do, basically, naff-all. yet i never have any spare time... odd.

will you be playing some tom waits? it might swing it for me... he's been banned from my group of friends! though, somewhat bizzarly, the grateful dead went down a storm last week... go figure!

anyway, yes - thanks for the invite... i aint sayin' nuttin' just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kowalskie wrote:
will you be playing some tom waits? it might swing it for me... he's been banned from my group of friends! though, somewhat bizzarly, the grateful dead went down a storm last week... go figure!
I don't think we have ever played music while we gamed. Worth a thought.

Our usual Thursday nights are accompanied by some of the worst karaoke you have ever heard, from the bar downstairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.