M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Great Wed - nes - day!

We had - -- San Juan in Space
Doesn't that remind you of the muppets??

We also had Memoir '44
Let us know if the good guys won...

We had a game of Settlers of Catan Histories: Rome
John won that one. It was a squeaker.
It seemed to be a challenge between a long plunder Vs. an early settling Vs. an special card / coin collector.

As well, John won Goa by a very sizeable margin.
Most notably he garnered all 4 settlement plantations.

Next session is the 30th.
New member cards will be ready for August 6th.

goo
MrZoz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir went very well with both John and myself virgin players, although I guess having played BattleLore and BattleCry et al then I wasn't too much of a newbie. I was German, John Allies and the Germans started well and then got ground down to nowhere very quickly. Final score was 6-3 so it wasn't that close. I haven't figured out how to take the towns yet but when I work it out I'll give it another try.

Then there was a 2nd 4 player round of Race after a tied first round between Dean & Steve (38,38). The 2nd round wasn't quite so close with Steve again winning on 6pt developments and setting a new 4 player card set score record in the process. (47,35,35,27). Must remember to try to hold a few more of those 6ers next time we play Steve (or get some production going faster). Still my favourite game at the moment though.

I then stumbled through a not quite complete game of Wizard where it took about 3 rounds for me to figure out the rules and then a few more rounds to figure out how not to get totally messed up on the bidding. At least I made it into the positive before the game ended from lights out with Steve leading Dean by a few points (don't remember the number)

All in all a great night of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:

Then there was a 2nd 4 player round of Race after a tied first round between Dean & Steve (38,38). The 2nd round wasn't quite so close with Steve again winning on 6pt developments and setting a new 4 player card set score record in the process. (47,35,35,27). Must remember to try to hold a few more of those 6ers next time we play Steve (or get some production going faster). Still my favourite game at the moment though.

Mr. Russell you can change your last name all you want, we know who you are!

Is there not a tie breaker for "Race for the Galaxy"?
Commodities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
Is there not a tie breaker for "Race for the Galaxy"?
Commodities?

There is a tiebreaker: cards-in-hand plus goods-on-worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That assumes that you have kept track of those at the start of the counting and didn't just throw them in the discard pile. I think that Steve won on the tie breaker, but it was not a sure thing as they hadn't kept close track of the cards. It was the first tie for a win that I have seen.

I say leave it as a tie. Is there anything wrong with a tie in a game? It works for football and used to work for hockey until the powers that be decided that a shootout contest would improve the spectacle and be good for the bottom line. I don't really think much of the tie breaker but I can't put my finger on exactly why, except that I think it may favour certain strategies. After all aren't we all winners for playing such a great game?

Off topic, I feel the same about the tie breaker for Formula De, the farther over the line the better but I like to think that you have to be getting ready for the next corner anyway so going crazy over the line at Monaco should not be rewarded. Have to look this up sometime.

And no I'm not a movie star, although I do remember watching his Disney films in my early childhood - man it would be cool to be invisible.

See y'all on the 30th when BattleLore reluctant allies - 4 player hits the table. MUST FINISH PAINTING!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.