Jean-François Gagnon
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
Just to be sure...

Do we remove a knight before the scoring is done for a completed city?

My opponant has a knight in a city with only one edge "free", and I add a tile with one city "edge" and the princess symbol. Do we score the city first, or do we remove the knight? If we remove the knight, does it means that the points for this city will never be counted?

Thanks...

JF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove the knight first. The rule of thumb is: move a meeple, score, eat things.

move a meeple: put a meeple on the tile just played OR
move the fairy OR
place the dragon(*) on the just played volcano OR
remove a knight from a city with the princess(*) OR
use the secret passage on the just placed tile to put a meeple on an uncompleted feature.

If you can do an (*) action, you must do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Sooley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
That is how I interpret the rules. It is a brutal way to play especially with large castles that have been contested at various points but I believe you really can complete the castle and remove the possibility for the one meeple remaining to score it.

It is a true bummer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
"Smart" Phones Killed the Internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving the fairy is still allowed, if you place the dragon on a volcano and have an own meeple on the board. Like you can place a meeple on a "Mage & Wich" tile, although you must move either of this special figures, because "required move-wood actions" are not counted as your only possible action on your turn.

Regarding Princess, see my answer in the other thread: current official HiG rules state, that you are allowed, not obligated to move a knight from a city, when adding a Princess tile. US releases might have never changed this. However, it is possible (and often clever) to remove the one inhabitant opponent's knight from a city with a princess tile, so nobody scores the city. But, regarding HiG, you are not liable to do the same, when you close your own city. You then can instead also move the fairy to your knight for additional 3 points.

EDIT: noted only after reply, that Jake Sooley resurrected a thread R.I.P. since 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls