Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys read the text of the dungeon cards aloud for the heroes or let them 'learn as they go?' I know the rule book states to read the flavor text and the card aloud, but I'm wondering if it's too harsh on the heroes (especially copper lvl) to have that many surprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played RtL twice, but I followed the rules and read the card out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not read them out aloud. I let the players figure out what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the card aloud (since the rules say you are supposed to) and will even let the heroes read he dungeon card if they'd like. However, I do feel there are several dungeons where it would be far more interesting to let the heroes figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, we read them aloud (as the rules say).
Descent is more a skirmish game than a RPG-esque dungeon delving game (at least, it is designed to be so; but everyone is free to play it as he prefers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Do you guys read the text of the dungeon cards aloud for the heroes or let them 'learn as they go?' I know the rule book states to read the flavor text and the card aloud, but I'm wondering if it's too harsh on the heroes (especially copper lvl) to have that many surprises.

I don't understand your comment. Why is reading them the text hard on the heroes? I thought it would be hard on them if you didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

I don't understand your comment. Why is reading them the text hard on the heroes? I thought it would be hard on them if you didn't.

He's saying the same: "I'm wondering if it's too harsh ... to have that many surprises.".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
I do not read them out aloud. I let the players figure out what to do.

That's quite an edge you're giving yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's me, the fabulous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
An edge? That's flat out handing yourself conquest, especially on certain levels "The Cursed Fountain".

Descent is not meant to be a game where information is shared in a lopsided fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveboy wrote:
Descent is not meant to be a game where information is shared in a lopsided fashion.

If you had said "Road to Legend", I would pretty much agree with you. However, in vanilla Descent, the rules do imply that most info about a quest should only be disclosed when necessary, unless the quest explicitly tells you to explain something to the heroes. In fact, some quest elements are plain useless if the hero players are aware of them beforehand.

And that's still how I play Rumor levels and legendary areas, since nothing in the rulebook says otherwise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.