• [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was concerned, but that looks like it should be pretty freaking sweet. The plan to basically just use the comic as the storyboard seems to have come through well.

I don't think that Veidt was in the trailer though, I'm interested to see what he'll look like

edit: i guess you do see his back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me that there's broadband and then there's broadband.

Of course, for a man of my age and tastes, Watchmen was a seminal work, so I'm a bit protective of it.

Cool looking, anyway. I like the glowy Dr. Manhattan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looked awesome until I saw "From the director of 300". That movie is one of the great stinking turds of this new century.

OTOH, my wallet already feels $8 lighter; no way I'm missing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Gasp! Thud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's great to see this finally made it. I hope the preview isn't the best part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looks impressive.

I understand this is to air big-screen style in front of 'The Dark Knight', which...to say the critics are "loving it", would be an understatement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, watch it in HD, here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just wow. Can it be March 09 now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it does look like a somewhat shinier Watchmen. The question is: Can anyone really do justice to the story in less than three hours of footage? Will it lose every scene that tries to shine a light of the characters' psychology?

I see a dog's head, split in two. This time, the director did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Based on hearsay, I was expecting this to be one of the great nostalgia-rape travesties of my life. But that looks goddamn good. Is it set in the 1980's? I can imagine the story being transported from yesterday's climate of fear to today's for 'relevance', and I'm not sure that would work. If they keep it in-period, I may need to get excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Look pretty cool. I've never read the comic books so it shouldn't fail to deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Is it set in the 1980's?

The Twin Towers were visible in a scene...

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
I don't like the trailer, looks really mediocre to me. And Snyder's last movie was terrible. I don't think he has the ability to film something as complex as Watchmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but you are a weasel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm.

It actually looks pretty good BUT, there has never been a good Alan Moore movie, despite several attempts. And of course whenever these types of things get made, they never match up to the original book. It'll be tough to lose the story excerpts that string the chapters together. Still, it does look great, the Comedian in particular looks perfect. I'm cautiously optomistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Hrm.

It actually looks pretty good BUT, there has never been a good Alan Moore movie, despite several attempts. And of course whenever these types of things get made, they never match up to the original book. It'll be tough to lose the story excerpts that string the chapters together. Still, it does look great, the Comedian in particular looks perfect. I'm cautiously optomistic.

*harrumph*

I happened to like 'League of Extraordinary Gentleman', although I admit it was a pretty awful movie and is strictly a 'guilty pleasure' kind of thing.

But his complaints against "V for Vendetta" were just plain petty. That was a GREAT movie, and only the most fanatical purist could hate it (IE., "it wasn't exactly like the comic frame-for-frame, so it sucks ass and blows chunks in every way, is completely unredeemable, and is actually categorized as 'torture' in violation of the Geneva Convention to force someone to watch it, because gods know that nobody WILLINGLY would as it has nothing of value.")

Alan Moore seems to be painfully unable to detach the concept of something from the execution, and allow a 'different but equal' interpretation of it coming from the same source idea. (A similar issue exists with fans of the original Doctor Who who hate 'the new series' or original Galactica who hate 'the new series', etc...never actually giving it a chance to stand on its own, as they can only accept the original execution of the idea as the Complete And Total Possible Expression Of It)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.