United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1987 VERSION OF ARKHAM HORROR

Hi,
Ok, we have a question. If you exit an other world gate and do not wish to leave that space (say we want to attack the gate later in that turn or even if we don't and just want to hang out on that space), what happens between you and any monsters there?

Do you battle or sneak past the monsters if you want to remain on that space in order to attack and close the gate? or do you ignore the monsters?

Do you battle or sneak past the monsters if you just want to remain on that space (with no later plans to attack and close the gate)? or do you ignore the monsters?

The rules seem to say that after you leave the other world, you can attack the gate later in the turn without ever having to deal with monsters there except for sanity checks? This confuses us. Wouldn't you have to battle the monsters there before attacking the gate? - ?

-Douglas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You return to Arkham in your movement phase with an Explored marker to stand on and ignore the monster(s). In THIS Arkham Encounter phase you may now attempt to close/seal the gate if you wish. On the NEXT movement phase you must evade or fight the monster(s) on the location. Assuming you survive you may now attempt to close/seal the gate again in the Arkham Encounter phase. You may keep doing this on as many turns as you like.
But if you move OFF the explored token for any reason than you lose the right to close that gate and must once again journey through the OW.

edit: Of course if this is the 1987 version of the original game...I have no idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Page 17, "Monsters Guarding Gates" topic:
"During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight any monsters in the gate's location. This rule only applies during the turn he returns to Arkham. In subsequent turns, if the investigator remains in the location, he must evade or fight any monsters there as usual"

Hope this helps?

[crosspost with above ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the 1987 VERSION I am asking about

but your answers do make for a good house rule if I don't get any 1987 specific answers. thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't still have my copy of the original game! cry

I do remember playing it however. And whether it was an official rule or a house rule, we always discarded a monster in the space with a gate when it was closed to represent it being sucked into the gate when it closed.

I started playing the new version the same way until I realized it didn't have that rule. Richard Launius said in an FFG forum that they thought about putting that rule into the new version and that someone could use it as a "house rule" if they wanted. That makes me think more that it was a real rule in the original rather than a house rule.

You have a great game there, and I am jealous. My copy went to that limbo of loaning games to someone and never getting them back. Enjoy!

I recommend the new version as well in case you are looking for an opinion on that from someone who has played the original. Kevin Wilson worked very closely with Richard on developing the new version for Fantasy Flight Games.

p.s. Nice avatar from someone old enough to remember the character (putting my hand over mouth and snickering).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Duglis wrote:

but your answers do make for a good house rule if I don't get any 1987 specific answers. thanks!!

We really need to change the name of this game to denote the change. When we look through the foums it is hard to tell that it is the old version. I have seen too many people rush to answer the "old" question with a "new" answer - and I am sure I have done it once or twice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Duglis wrote:

We really need to change the name of this game to denote the change. When we look through the foums it is hard to tell that it is the old version. I have seen too many people rush to answer the "old" question with a "new" answer - and I am sure I have done it once or twice as well.

Maybe the name could be changed to "Arkham Horror Classic" or some such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't think we should start adding new words - I was thinking more like "1987" - something that could ID it easier. But I guess Fury of Dracula and Axis and Allies, to name just a couple, have the same issues. it just seesm that the first repsonse to any question to this game is always an FFG version answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Doug - I don't think you ever got an answer to this question, so here goes.

I think you must sneak by the monster to attempt to get to the gate in order to destroy it. I will admit, this is buried in the rules, but look under Ghosts and Powers (both of whom are guardians) in the Terms, Procedures, Card Explanations section.

Since you are given the opportunity to sneak, it stands to reason you could fight the monster, but that probably will be your encounter at that location. I would not think it possible to attack monsters and then attack the gate as that would be two encounters in that location on that turn. So sneaking by the gate (which if closed would destroy the monster anyway) seems to be the more prudent action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.