Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just got the game yesterday and sat reading the rules. Two things that confuse me that I haven't seen mentioned so guess it is just me.

EVERYTHING counts adjacent units as along a side NOT diagonal. OK. I believe a supporting unit in an attack needs to be adjacent to the attacking unit and adjacent to the defending unit. I believe this is impossible. This leads me to believe I can't read straight???

I think there are 8 cards per unit. It LOOKS as though in an attack or defense you can only play ONE of those 8 cards.

If I get it right in for example an assault the attacker plays a card for the unit attacking. then the defender plays ALL the cards he intends to use for defence in one go. Then the attacker can add on whatever additional cards he wishes, leaders etc after the defender has put all his cards down.

Is that right?

Ta

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:

EVERYTHING counts adjacent units as along a side NOT diagonal. OK. I believe a supporting unit in an attack needs to be adjacent to the attacking unit and adjacent to the defending unit. I believe this is impossible. This leads me to believe I can't read straight???

A supporting unit must be adjacent to the defender. It will never be adjacent to the attacker.

andywatkins1963 wrote:

I think there are 8 cards per unit. It LOOKS as though in an attack or defense you can only play ONE of those 8 cards.

Not true - you can attack (but not bombard/volley) or defend with as many cards as you have in hand.

andywatkins1963 wrote:

If I get it right in for example an assault the attacker plays a card for the unit attacking. then the defender plays ALL the cards he intends to use for defence in one go. Then the attacker can add on whatever additional cards he wishes, leaders etc after the defender has put all his cards down.

Is that right?

Yep, you got that one right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding of the rules:

A supporting unit in an assault has to be adjacent to the defending unit, and can only be brought in with a Leader card.

To declare an assault, the attacker must play one unit card matching the attacking unit. The defender can play as many matching defending unit cards as he has in his hand and 1 Leader card for its Combat value. The defender could instead play a Withdraw card. If the defender does not play a Withdraw, then the attacker may play more cards, as long as he has them in hand, including more matching unit cards, a Leader, and a Committed Assault; if playing a Leader for its Command value, he could also play unit cards matching any applicable supporting units. Note that the attacker could also call off the attack if he had a Skirmish card.

I'm not completely sure, but I think each army's deck has 5 cards per unit...

Hope this helps.

Mitch

Oops...looks like George beat me to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,

I haven't pulled out my game in a bit (no chance to play, not because it isn't fun), but here is my understanding of these issues. I think my comments below are correct and fit in with rules and FAQs, etc., although I agree that the rules are sometimes a bit too brief.

1) Supporting units must be adjacent to the defender, not to the primary attacker (sect. 6.4). They can only support, however, if you play a leader card that allows support. That is, a secondary attacking unit that is adjacent to the defender can only support if the attacker has played a leader card strong enough to activate the supporting unit.

2) You can stack activation cards. That is, you can play more than one activation card in a given attack or defense to gain extra combat value and/or combat dice as long as the cards played are all valid for units involved in the attack or defense.

3) Yes, the defender must play all of his or her cards before the attacker commits final resources to the fight. The sequence is attacker activation card, defender cards, additional attacker cards. On the surface, this seems to give the attacker an advantage, but it also gives the defender a chance to force the attacker to burn a lot of resources in hopes of achieving a meaningful victory.

Tim

Edit: Third man in. Clearly, I review my text too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all 3 of you, you even seem to agree with each other

I shall be trying my first game in a few days

Ta

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.