Subject: Do my starter decks have balance issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: nr_deck_building [+] [View All]
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've recently acquired a starter set, and only played a couple of solo run throughs to get the hang of game play, but I think my decks are very Corp biased, and I wanted some opinions of some experienced players.

The Corp deck seems to have LOTS of strong sentry programs, and the Runner Deck not so many sentry breakers:

Corp:
strength 5 sentries: cerberus, homewrecker, fang 2.0, mastiff
str 4: fragmentation storm, 2x sentinels prime, neural blade, fang, 2x zombie, tko 2.0

runner:
black dahlia, codeslinger, raptor, wild card.

I have some additional cards on the side, of which
I have another Black Dahlia, and a Shaka.

I played through several times, with the Corp building mostly impenetrable data forts.

My question is does this seem (heavily) unbalanced? Or will more experience make it seem fairer? Can I balance the deck more by adding the 2 add'l programs, and replacing some of the excess sentries in the Corp deck.

Any help appreciated. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression, (though I may be wrong) that if the game goes long enough, it is likely for the Corp to have its data forts become pretty well impenetrable. Hence they have to keep drawing and can lose if the game goes on long enough. As for whether that's happening too quickly with the decks you have, maybe someone more knowledgable than I can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seem a bit weak for the Runner, but all I'd do is add in the Shaka. The strong Ice comes at a cost in bits, and it has to be rezzed at some point. As the Runner, you have to run this Corp very hard early, because the mid-game will be tough. Prepare for the damage, but make him rez that high-caliber Ice. The endgame, if it goes long enough, is always the Runner's. No fort is impenetrable once you get your breakers and bits lined up.

So I don't think it's heavily unbalanced, but maybe a little. Those are all lousy sentry breakers, with the exception of Raptor, which is great as a surprise breaker as you don't need a ton of bits to install and run the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I get the impression, (though I may be wrong) that if the game goes long enough, it is likely for the Corp to have its data forts become pretty well impenetrable.

The overall setup becomes very expensive for the Runner across all forts, but by the end, any single fort will be vulnerable to one key run (barring some deep Rio deck, and you won't see that in sealed). You just can't keep the Runner out once all the breakers are in play and he's just gaining bits, waiting for you to install and advance something. And if you do make one huge fort, he'll go elsewhere (HQ or R&D for the win). The Corp needs to win in the midgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also, those early runs *before* the ice gets placed are key-accessing the HQ and R&D to get valuable info on what's coming up to maximize the breaker/prep efficiency is crucial. The Runner has to bring the pain early and often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raptor (at the beginning) and Shaka are the way to go (Black Dahlia isn't too bad, but it's expensive to install). It's a pity you don't have Loony Goon to complement the other two breakers. Wild Card is a nice surprise to use against sentries with strength 0 or 1, though it's not useful against the ice you've listed there. Codeslinger is a dud for obvious reasons - I'd remove that card from the deck.

While your Runner stack does seem a bit weak as far as sentry breakers are concerned, it is far from hopeless. To truly judge the power level of your stack, you would have to tell us something about the following components, too:

- bitgaining (Do you have a Broker or two? Newsgroup Filter?)
- card drawing/finding (Jack 'n' Joe, The Short Circuit?)
- "winning" cards, i.e. usually multi-access like Custodial Position
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their input.

You've convinced me all is not lost. I'll take Codeslinger out, replace it with Shaka, and start teaching some friends...

I'll probably be looking for more cards soon anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your new decks! I wish I could get more people here to play Netrunner with me. Totally underrated game.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.