Andrew Hart
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 3 questions that came up during the game. I'm fairly sure we sorted them out via use of common sense (Hah!),but only one of the questions is specifically Haunt related. I'll ask the first 2, then give spoiler space, before asking the last one. Yes, it is quite possible that these questions have been asked before, but, for some reason the search facility on the forums isn't working properly at the moment.

1An instance has occured recently where the Haunt has been started, and the Traitor found the Vault. How does access to the Vault contents work here, with respect to the Traitors added powers? At the time, we played it as the Traitor having access to all areas, in a similiar way to how they would have access to the Lift, and hence had the combinations/key/access code to get in, and hence could immediately obtain the vault contents.

2 When one has the Toy Monkey, and the Dreaded thing wins it's combat by 2 points, does this mean the owner of the Toy Monkey has the choice of being able to steal an item from it's opponent, like everyone else does? In the game, we players decide it was a silly concept, and that they Toy Monkey couldn't hold items, as it had both hands full with those stupid bloody metal clappers.....

Spoiler space follows....

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
3In Haunt 3, the survivors need to obtain Mandrake for their spell. The survivor instructions only give instructions as to what happens when the spell succeeds. If the Spell fails (i.e. Knowledge roll fails), does this mean that the piece of Mandrake root is used up, and that the survivors now need to dig up another? This is how we played it, just like spell commponents for D&D, commponents used up regardless of success/failure of spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
dredstar wrote:

I would say you played it correctly.

dredstar wrote:

That also seems correct.

dredstar wrote:

I think that is a bit hard on the heroes. Since there are only 3 roots in the game, it could mean that the heroes could fail 3 times, and thus loose because they can't win.

I can't remember any other haunt where the components are used up, and we haven't played that way on haunt 3.

Lars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dredstar wrote:
1An instance has occured recently where the Haunt has been started, and the Traitor found the Vault. How does access to the Vault contents work here, with respect to the Traitors added powers? At the time, we played it as the Traitor having access to all areas, in a similiar way to how they would have access to the Lift, and hence had the combinations/key/access code to get in, and hence could immediately obtain the vault contents.

This is clarified in the official FAQ:
FAQ wrote:
Vault -- Does the traitor have to roll to open the Vault?
Yes.

dredstar wrote:
2 When one has the Toy Monkey, and the Dreaded thing wins it's combat by 2 points, does this mean the owner of the Toy Monkey has the choice of being able to steal an item from it's opponent, like everyone else does? In the game, we players decide it was a silly concept, and that they Toy Monkey couldn't hold items, as it had both hands full with those stupid bloody metal clappers.....

I'm not aware of an official statement on this, but because the attack originates from the monkey, rather than the explorer carrying it, I think you played this right. Items cannot normally carry other items, and there's nothing on the Toy Monkey card to indicate otherwise, so it doesn't make sense for it tos teal one.

dredstar wrote:
Spoiler space follows....

For future reference, this forum supports a "spoiler" tag, as seen below...

dredstar wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In Haunt 3, the survivors need to obtain Mandrake for their spell. The survivor instructions only give instructions as to what happens when the spell succeeds. If the Spell fails (i.e. Knowledge roll fails), does this mean that the piece of Mandrake root is used up, and that the survivors now need to dig up another? This is how we played it, just like spell commponents for D&D, commponents used up regardless of success/failure of spell.

I really wouldn't recommend making any comparisons to D&D for generating your rulings in this game.

There are some Haunts that specifically note that components are consumed or destroyed under certain circumstances, and there's no note of that here.

And if you're going to argue that the mandrake should be discarded after one attempt, couldn't you argue the same about the book? They're both required to cast the spell, and in D&D, when you cast a spell from a written source (like a scroll), the spell disappears, right?

From a balance perspective, it also seems like the heroes could be in serious trouble if the roots disappear--the first root they get will be the closest one, so the second will take longer, which means there would be a very severe penalty for a single failure on a fairly difficult roll. And the witch has a pretty good chance of eliminating one hero almost every turn.

On the other hand, this Haunt doesn't appear to have any scaling mechanism, so the balance may be rather questionable on first principles...

But for what it's worth, I don't think the roots should be discarded. I'd probably say you should be able to drop, trade, and steal them like items, though, even though it doesn't explicitly say so. (But note that the Traitor isn't allowed to pick them up, and thus shouldn't be able to steal them, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously - I would strongly consider Jeremy to be the best source for balance/rule questions for Betrayal, anywhere I've seen on the internet.
thumbsup

Of course, he's one of the only ones, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hart
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, All has been quite useful here. I thought I had a copy of the FAQ, but it appears to be a somewhat adulterated one. Thus, I have now downloaded the official one, and will now consult this from now one.

Now for the Haunt 3 thing.
The thing about the Mandrake is, the Traitor is the only one who knows how many pieces there are of it available, the updated Survivor guide doesn't indicate how many there are.

All the survivors have to go on is how many orange root tokens that there are in the game (10), hence giving the impression that there are quite a few available.

In the game we were playing, the Haunt started at Omen 4, quite early. We decided to take up the house rule that seems to be a give nowadays that you only start rolling Haunt rolls after the 4th Omen card has turned up. We got unlucky.

The Witch appeared at the Entrance hall, one Mandrake root was in the room to her direct right(no other access passage), and another was in the room to her direct left(again, no other access passage). We still had quite a lot of rooms that could be drawn, so the survivors really had no idea of there NOT being a lot more Mandrake root around. Certainly, if there actually was 10 roots available, then one spell casting per root would make sense. However, with only 3, it makes sense the other way. I feel though, that keeping the numbers down tends to accentuate the tension a little. Having too many wouldn't make digging the mandrake up seem like an achievement, especially when you are trying to distract the Witch and Traitor via other survivors.

But, as I said, the Survivors don't know anything about numbers.

We know now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.