Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rulebook for Titan, and seeing the board, gave me enough fears that I decided not to preorder the game; now that I see the beautiful bits, though, I'm reconsidering. I would like to know, however, whether my fears were justified:

1) That movement on the board would be difficult to comprehend unless studied (which my friends and I are unlikely to do). I'm not worried that we won't be able to follow the arrows and figure out where we can move, but that we'll be unable to do so quickly, or with any idea of how to set up for a good move in the following turn.

2) Similar to the above, since the new monsters aren't color-coded in any way, that it will be difficult to quickly figure out where my stack of monsters should go to muster some new monsters.

3) I HATE memory games. The Settlers of Catan card game drives me nuts for this reason, and Titan sounds like you have to memorize waaaaaaaay more than that.

Are these "criticisms" justified? Or is it easier to use than I gather from the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devan Mellott
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement can be a little confusing at first, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. And the colors of the monsters don't matter for mustering. Even in the old version, the colors didn't mean a thing. After just a few turns, it is easy to remember which lands produce which which creatures. And they have the mustering charts right there on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you choose not to plan ahead, when you start to move, just follow the Yellow Brick Road so to speak(the directional arrows). It's really not confusing where you have to go as you must follow the arrows for the most part after you move into the first area, but planning ahead to give yourself choices is the challenge.
Looks much more confusing than it is.
2)There is a handy chart on the board that indicates what may be mustered in each ares and what is needed at hand to do so, IIRC. Again, after you play a bit, many will become 2nd nature. The less common areas may take some looking up on the chart at times.
For the most part you have 3 avenues for mustering (plains, marsh or brush)and each of those lead to the next high class of mustering (Jungle, Woods and Hills) which lead to the last tier of powerful creatures(Tundra and Mountains). Novice players tend to explore these avenues first.
3) The memory problem is really focused on "What is in your stack(s)? Since they are covered with a legion marker you most likely will be picking them up and looking at them quite often when you first start. Again, this will pass as you develop a strategy for splitting your stacks and knowing what type of musters are under the Legion counter (plains or marsh or brush for example). Or trying to recall what your opponent had in the stack he/she last revealed.
If you can sort through MTG this should be well within your gaming ability to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
I HATE memory games. The Settlers of Catan card game drives me nuts for this reason, and Titan sounds like you have to memorize waaaaaaaay more than that.

A photographic memory (to the extent that one knows exactly what is in every legion on the board) does help. It's probably not practical except in the two-player game. It doesn't help as much as one might think though; it's sufficient to know where the most powerful legions are (the ones recruiting the "big three", and earlier on those recruiting the creatures that can muster Colossi, Hydras, or Serpents). Of course, the earlier one can find your opponent's Titan legion, the better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
even simpler, the "that stack likes being home in the brush or swamp, or..." should give you an idea of what lies beneath. And as noted above, where 'the big guys' are at a given time (e.g. Warbear, Behemoth, then Hydra, Dragon, etc.) and a relative guage of "can I take em?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
dragonstout wrote:
1) That movement on the board would be difficult to comprehend unless studied (which my friends and I are unlikely to do). I'm not worried that we won't be able to follow the arrows and figure out where we can move, but that we'll be unable to do so quickly, or with any idea of how to set up for a good move in the following turn.

Yes. Titan is a very deep game and movement on the strategic board is one of the reasons for this. You need to play several to get comfortable with the movement. You might need to play several hundred times to master strategic board movement. Titan rewards commitment with incredible gameplay.

dragonstout wrote:
2) Similar to the above, since the new monsters aren't color-coded in any way, that it will be difficult to quickly figure out where my stack of monsters should go to muster some new monsters.

No. Actually this is the most accessable part of the game. Its immediately fun and lures you into the rest of the game.

dragonstout wrote:
3) I HATE memory games. The Settlers of Catan card game drives me nuts for this reason, and Titan sounds like you have to memorize waaaaaaaay more than that.

Yes. Titan is definitely a memory game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be slow going at first, but the game really is designed to make sense. You'll get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks; in case it was unclear, I really didn't mean to imply that I don't enjoy deep games that reward study...but my gaming partners aren't likely to study the board, and since I've already got several games that I devote a lot of time to, that kind of game is not high on my list of priorities right now. I am very curious, though, as I don't really have a great multiplayer conflict game...too late for a preorder, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
dragonstout wrote:
Thanks; in case it was unclear, I really didn't mean to imply that I don't enjoy deep games that reward study...

BTW, I wasn't criticising you. I don't want to gush about how great Titan is, encourage you play Titan with unrealistic expectations and see you be disappointed. Titan is a great game but it isn't for everyone.

dragonstout wrote:
but my gaming partners aren't likely to study the board, and since I've already got several games that I devote a lot of time to, that kind of game is not high on my list of priorities right now.

Thats understandable.

dragonstout wrote:
I am very curious, though, as I don't really have a great multiplayer conflict game...

Titan is certainly a great and unique multiplayer conflict game. All the other multiplayer conflict games have a strong diplomatic element. Titan doesn't. The limits on stack movement and the terrains make ganging up on another player impossible. Any diplomacy is minor and is to extricate yourself from a bad situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
Thanks; in case it was unclear, I really didn't mean to imply that I don't enjoy deep games that reward study...but my gaming partners aren't likely to study the board, and since I've already got several games that I devote a lot of time to, that kind of game is not high on my list of priorities right now. I am very curious, though, as I don't really have a great multiplayer conflict game...too late for a preorder, though.

Thought Hammer still taking pre-order price I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:

This diagram may help with comprehending the flow of the board. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/265747

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fielding
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Mr Titan fears the release of the new edition.

I will undoubtedly play Titan every weekend for the foreseeable future.
I fear I have spent too much energy concentrating on the game in the past.

Please, please, do not release the new edition until the summer is over.

Now that that is out of my system, I cannot wait to play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fear that my Titan preorder will be shipped when I'm guaranteed to be unable to receive the shipment -.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fear that since I preordered from a company other than Valley/Eagle Games, I will not get a first print copy and will have to wait even longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solarinus wrote:
I fear that since I preordered from a company other than Valley/Eagle Games, I will not get a first print copy and will have to wait even longer.

Thom,

We've doubled the typical size of our print run for Titan and the perceived demand we expect. There should be enough supply to cover any preorders that retailers place. I don't know how long the game will last on store shelves before selling out, but if your retailer of choice has some on order, you should be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Solarinus wrote:

Thom,

We've doubled the typical size of our print run for Titan and the perceived demand we expect. There should be enough supply to cover any preorders that retailers place. I don't know how long the game will last on store shelves before selling out, but if your retailer of choice has some on order, you should be just fine.

Thanks for your reassurance, I feel much better now (I tend to overthink things anyways)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Demeter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
otrex wrote:
Solarinus wrote:

Thom,

Good thing we waited for that magic 750 then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the strong preorder support on both the Eagle Games website and our own has helped to convince us to print in a larger print run. So, all of our preorder customers can be thanked for helping to dramatically expand the total number of worldwide Titan players in the very near future. Without the strong preorder support, we would have undoubtedly printed a smaller amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
1. Movement on the board is a little tricky to pick up, but once you get the hang of it, it's very intuitive. The board is very symmetrical, to the point where if you understand how movement on 1/6 of the board works, you understand the entire board.

2. No matter what you do the first few games you play will be slow. After you have a few under your belt, you'll be able to very quickly figure out what creatures you can muster with a unit. In fact, whether you're trying to or not, you'll likely have largely memorized which units can recruit what, and know before looking at them.

3. You don't need to memorize anything unless you want to. It might give you a small advantage to do so, but that doesn't matter unless you're trying to win a titan tournament. I've been playing this game for nearly two decades, and I never pay attention to under what tiles my opponents have what, and neither do my friends, as that would make the game more work than fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yars wrote:

3. You don't need to memorize anything unless you want to. It might give you a small advantage to do so, but that doesn't matter unless you're trying to win a titan tournament. I've been playing this game for nearly two decades, and I never pay attention to under what tiles my opponents have what, and neither do my friends, as that would make the game more work than fun.

That's especially good to hear...sounds like I'll probably end up wanting to play before I buy it, though, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yars wrote:

I have to differ with this one. I agree that people can play Titan at different levels of seriousness and competitiveness, and it certainly isn't necessary to be ultra-competitive to enjoy the game. But I think most people will have trouble enjoying the game unless they develop at least a general awareness of what is in other players' legions. The important decisions in the game are all of the form, "Should I attack this legion," or, "Should I risk moving where that legion can attack me," etc. If you make those decisions unaware of whether the enemy legion has an angel and six rangers (strong, especially on attack), or it has three ogres, two trolls, a minotaur, and one ranger (weak), then you're going to consistently get smashed when up against someone who is paying attention, and you're going to feel that what happens to you is out of your control. If you play several games in a row where you are traipsing around, minding your own business, and then, each time, some legion you didn't perceive as a threat attacks you and knocks you out of the game, I think that will be pretty frustrating. Maybe it would be like playing In the Year of the Dragon, and not paying attention to which events are coming up, so that every game you get badly hammered by several of them because you didn't do anything to prepare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:

I see that you're a big fan of El Grande. It's approximately as important to memorize what you've seen in the stacks as it is to memorize what power cards everyone has played in El Grande. Namely, a small incremental benefit, but by no means needed to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.