Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Story:
Have you ever wondered why Doctor Lucky is restlessly walking around the rooms of his ample estate?
Have you ever wondered why that senile, old man can be lured of into another room so easily and gullibly follows you everywhere?

Well, the answer is he's looking for his recently deceased wife.
Mrs. Lucky suffered from paranoia and delusions and one dreadful evening she hung herself from the gallery (now we know why the rope is worth 8 points there).
From this day on Mrs. Lucky is haunting the mansion as a ghost, walking around the rooms or straight through the walls to appear anywhere and scare any visitors - or any would-be murderers of Dr. Lucky!

So you did see something up on the gallery when you arrived and met up with the others in the drawing room.
You knew killing Dr. Lucky would be even harder today...

You will need:
1x ghost pawn
1x 20-sided die (d20)

Rules:
--At the beginning of a game the ghost of Mrs. Lucky starts in the gallery (she's always coming back to the location of her demise).
--On every player's turn after Dr. Lucky and his dog (if you play with the dog variant) have been moved, you trow the 20-sided die and move the ghost of Mrs. Lucky to the room with the corresponding number. If you throw a '20', move him to the Drawing Room (0).
--Mrs. Lucky's ghost acts as a witness that can suddenly (and randomly) appear anywhere on the map.

Epilog:
This variant works very well with 2-3 players, as it adds another witness (in addition to the dog), who also has a different and new moving mechanic.
It can help in preventing those lucky, quick kills early in the round when playing with only a few players.

A lot of the time I have calculated Dr. Lucky's moves well in advance, have placed my door correctly to keep that nasty dog from spying and have collected the room and weapon cards for a specific room, only to have Mrs. Lucky's ghost appear next to me or behind my back spoiling my murder attempt.

And finally, let's hope that Mrs. Lucky's poor soul will find peace and can rest forever (so we can go on and try to send her husband right after her).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting and fun, I'll have to give it a try. Don't you risk making the game too long, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too random and could be used as a further game improvement of getting rid of excess spite tokens

How about adding this variant which becomes more useful as the game progresses-

After the roll of the die, any player (in clockwise order from the current player) may spend a spite token to have the ghost appear one room away (adjacent) from the die number (each additional room away costs another spite). This way the ghost can also appear in corridors.

Each player in turn pays one or more spite tokens to change Mrs Lucky's appearance location. This continues until all players pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know how the game will change or if it's good, but the idea of the ghost of mrs Lucky is so goddamn good it looks like a winner.

What happens if he does find his wife? Will he die of happiness and all players lose/win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmonk wrote:
Don't you risk making the game too long, though?

It's especially designed to increase the length for 2-3 player games.
True, with the full 7 or 8 players, the game length could indeed get way too long.
You should then omit this variant or substitute it with the dog variant

Curufea wrote:
Too random and could be used as a further game improvement of getting rid of excess spite tokens

Random indeed, but I don't get how you would get rid of spite tokens.

The ghost merely acts as a witness, you can't control it in any way.
When attempting murders boosted with spite tokens, you don't lose them anyway should your attempt get spoiled by others with failure cards and/or spite tokens (in the latter case you get the tokens of others).

When the ghost witnesses your murder attempt, it'll deny you attempting a murder in the first place, so no spite tokens will change hands at all.
Zimeon wrote:
Don't know how the game will change or if it's good, but the idea of the ghost of mrs Lucky is so goddamn good it looks like a winner.

Thank you!
Zimeon wrote:
What happens if he does find his wife? Will he die of happiness and all players lose/win?

Then he then is so happy that he will book another cruise on an ocean liner - this time the sister ship of the previously sunken "unsinkable" one.

Seriously though, Dr. Lucky is too senile to recognize the presence of his dead wife's ghost - same as he doesn't recognize the presence of his dog (he even doesn't care if poor little Shamrock gets killed right next to him)!
He'll completely ignore both and leave them behind - with the ruthless gang of you murderous players.

Come to think of it again, what if Mrs. Lucky's suicide wasn't a suicide at all!
What if a previous gang of murderers killed her? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bonz wrote:
Random indeed, but I don't get how you would get rid of spite tokens.

The ghost merely acts as a witness, you can't control it in any way.
When attempting murders boosted with spite tokens, you don't lose them anyway should your attempt get spoiled by others with failure cards and/or spite tokens (in the latter case you get the tokens of others).

Please read the entire post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curufea wrote:

Oh, I did read your entire post.
I just thought you were referring to my variant in your first sentence.

Your variation of course reduces spite tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I sent this variant to James Ernest of Cheapass games.

He said it's excellent, but the Cheapass website isn't maintained at the moment and they won't be releasing a new edition of Kill Doctor Lucky anytime soon.

He did send my variant to Paizo though, the publishers of the Titan colour release, as he thinks that they are very interested in new material for the game.

Well, maybe they'll release a new expansion, just like they did with the little dog.
Another high-priced expansion, this time with a 20-sided die in addition to a pawn and a rule sheet? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bonz wrote:
Curufea wrote:

Oh, I did read your entire post.
I just thought you were referring to my variant in your first sentence.

Your variation of course reduces spite tokens.

Sorry about the ambiguity there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.