Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

Noting that I'm not too much of a wargamer, I have a simple question: Are there "standard" conventions on which stats are located where on wargame counters? I realize there are exceptions and variances, but are there some basic trends or a commonly used pattern? I caught a hint that this might be the case on another thread a while ago, but haven't found anything that really explained what those conventions might be.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the old days - yes definatly...

It was always 'combat factor - movement factor', at the bottom of the counter, with a standard nato unit designator (of variation thereof) in the middle of the counter.

Then you got the two combat factor units... but it was still pretty standard...

'attack factor - defense factor - movement factor' across the bottom of the counter.

For more tactical games - there was a tendancy to put the attack factor and range on the top left and right hand corners of the counter - respecively... then the defense factor in the bottom left, and movement factor in the bottom right.

I don't know if this convention has held up through the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
No rules per se but there are some conventions. A typical counter representing a military (land) unit might have two numbers, on representing its combat strength, the other its movement. That would usually (always?) be combat on the lower left and movement on the lower right.

Quite often a third number in the middle would represent its defensive combat value (the first number the offensive value).

Of course, the more values on the counter, the more complicated this can be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kazadvorn wrote:
In the old days - yes definatly...

It was always 'combat factor - movement factor', at the bottom of the counter, with a standard nato unit designator (of variation thereof) in the middle of the counter.

Then you got the two combat factor units... but it was still pretty standard...

'attack factor - defense factor - movement factor' across the bottom of the counter.

For more tactical games - there was a tendancy to put the attack factor and range on the top left and right hand corners of the counter - respecively... then the defense factor in the bottom left, and movement factor in the bottom right.

I don't know if this convention has held up through the years.

Hah, you got this post in right before mine! But we agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info! Exactly what I was looking to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The convention has held up pretty well, especially for operational and strategic level games.

There have been a handful of exceptions, but if the game uses numbers then they will usually be in those spots.

one common variation was to drop a factor if it's the same for all units. For example, the old SPI Blue & Gray series games left off the movement factor because it was the same (6) for every unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.