Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've liked just sort of thinking over all the different types of games people I play with enjoy. And since all of those groups are at least half women, it's going here.

At family gatherings, classics like Rummikub, gateways like Ticket to Ride, and abstracts like Ingenious are the order of the day.

With my best friend, it's cards, any game you can play with a standard deck. And Odin's Ravens. And Cosmic Wimpout.

With my childhood best friend and her family, the meatier and more bits the better. San Marco, Tikal, and Through the Desert have all gone over smashingly. I know these themselves aren't considered meaty games, but this group is now clamoring for more complexity and depth.

With my sis and that group of girlfriends, party games like Time's Up, Pictionary, and Taboo are the order of the day.

With the 6 and 7 year old, anything goes, though they are at the moment particularly fond of LotR: The Confrontation, chess, Dungeon Dice, and Nexus Ops. They will absorb any game I put before them like a sponge.

With my traditional gamer friends, lighter and medium-weight euros win. Think Carcassonne and Ra and Settlers, but they have an impressive collection and once in a while less common games like Galaxy or Vinci come out to play.

Classics, gateways, abstracts, standard playing cards, Kosmos 2-players, dicefests, light, medium (and soon likely to include heavy) euros, party games, classic Parker Brothers games, and Ameritrash are the types of games the women (and girls) I play with enjoy.

And once I shanghai my aunt into learning Twilight Struggle, we can add euro-wargame hybrids to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the recent play list of the last month or so.

Cassandra - 6
Guess Who (littlest pet shop preferred). Ker Plunk. Blokus. Ingenious. D&D. Incan Gold. Runebound. Hungry Hungry Hippos. Cadoo. Mouse Trap. Crokinole. Jenga.

Francesca - wife
D&D. BattleLore. Blue Moon. Crokinole. Abstracts (the game, not the type). Tsuro. Blokus. Ingenious. Incan Gold. Apples To Apples. Risk Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thoughtful summary, Amy. Good scattering of gaming types and situations.

You may have already seen this, but here's my Geeklist about my gaming group, consisting of me, my wife, Patty, and our 2 neighbors:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31940

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife hasn't played many of the games I own but every now and then she will join me in a game. She likes some of the Kosmos 2 player games, in particular Jambo. It's a really good game that I think is overlooked often. This 2 player series suits her because they are mainly card games, which she likes, and they are usually quick to setup (she doesn't like long setup times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
my wife surprises me when i comes to games. some i feel sure she will like only to have her be disinterested, other i know she'll hate then be shocked that she loves them. makes life fun but birthday gifts difficult.

these are some of her favourites:

Shogun
Catan
Catan: Cities & Knights
Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga
Nexus Ops
Drakon (third edition)
Puerto Rico
Domaine
Mall of Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is all over the board (Sorry). She likes divergent types depending on her mood.

Mostly she plays the following

Traditional card games: Euchre, Cribbage, Spades
Party games: Apples to Apples, Take Your Pick
Trivia games: Any of them as long as she is into the Subject matter.

On occasion though she does enjoy something a little heavier like

Chase
Dos Rios
RoboRally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a game my wife likes to play:

[Me leaving the house with games in hand]

Her: You're going to game night AGAIN. [big sigh]

Me: Just for a couple hours.

Her: That's what you said last time!

Me: But . . . .

Her: Fine, go ahead but . . . [insert your choice of response from the following list or just make something up (the way my wife does)]

we have to get up early tomorrow
we have to do the laundry tonight
we have to clean the house
the kids need to get [insert] ready for tomorrow and they haven't started
there is yardwork to do
I'm tired and I have X, Y and Z to finish for work by [insert day]
etc. etc.

etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gibson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-under any circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoys a wide variety of games,all dependant on mood and situation. If it's just the two of us, her preference is definitely Jambo, Hive, and any of the GIPF series, especially Tzaar.

In a group of gamers, she will always push for Power Grid or Puerto Rico. And if we have time, Advanced Civilization.

When introducing games to others, she loves Ingenious.

The older of my two daughters (26) is a big fan of Alhambra but loves a good game of Die Macher as well.

My younger daughter (24) took a little more convincing to play games but has come to own Citadels and Ingenious. And the last game I played with her, and she seemed to enjoy it, was Ticket To Ride: The Card Game.

And they all will play old reliables like Scrabble and Cribbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife is a chess snob, having been raised in a family of nationally ranked chess champions. as such, she tends towards abstract strategy games with Yinsh, Abalone and Pente being games she'll usually play without too much of a push.

she also loves Scrabble (at one point in our early years we had a Scrabble game going on the dining room table for several months, playing game after game through dinner) and, lately, the number version of Scrabble, Numble.

i tried playing chess with her in those early years as well, but her personality changes so drastically whenever she plays that i've just conceded every game we might ever play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend likes the same kind of heavily thematic games as I do. Lately we've been playing lots of Arkham Horror with the Dunwich Horror expansion, Marvel Heroes and tried the new Blackbeard. We also love older games like Merchant of Venus. Now if she only would play Magic Realm with me a bit more often...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctors and Nurses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersSchm wrote:
Doctors and Nurses

Hilarious. Not to mention witty as all get out. How could anyone possibly top that?

amberaleman wrote:
The older of my two daughters (26) is a big fan of Alhambra but loves a good game of Die Macher as well.

Cool! I hope to break out Alhambra soon. A lot of my lighter games-oriented friends are turned off by artsy box artwork so I've let it sit in the closet…but upon looking over the rules yesterday (and trial-running it with the 6 and 7 year old) it looks like it's very simple to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Odin will keep an eye on it.
mbmbmbmbmb
With my wife we play lots of games, but really there are only two (technically three) Ticket to Ride: USA 1910, Ticket to Ride: Europe, and Balloon Cup. This means I usually lose but right now I am on a phenomenal winning streak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaiser wrote:

etc. etc.

OMG I didn't know you were married to my mother!!

Our game group meets twice a month and every time I mention a game night is coming up she says didn't you just play LAST weekend. Then insert all the comments you listed.

So I feel your pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

My mother likes Igenious and San Juan.

The other dozen or so women I play games with regularly are part of my game group. We play mostly Euros. Some current favorites are Power Grid, Entdecker, Ticket to Ride, and Shadows over Camelot (with chocolate seige engines). One of our ladies has a real love for all things camel, so we play at least one camel themed games when she makes the 2.5 hour drive down for a game night. Which she does about every 6 weeks.

Firekitty and I sometimes go out after work for drinks and a game, one of our current after work favorites is Ubongo: Duel. It works great to ease the stress from work while imbibing alcohol at Applebees. We are going to try Mr. Jack soon. At least that is what she keeps telling me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorite game is Goa.

In general she likes:
deduction
resource management, planning
multiplayer solitare
low luck
low confrontation
mystery

My 6 year old daughter likes Go, of all things. (So far, we play a simplified capture version.)

My 2 year old daughter likes Go Away Monster and Don't Break the Ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the games she wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Markovich
Australia
flag msg tools
My partner pretty much only plays Blood Bowl. Although she quite liked Illuminati as well, it's difficult for us to get enough people in the room who want to play it.

So we play Blood Bowl every week, and Backgammon every so often, and since my busy life doesn't leave much time for games nights currently, the rest of the cupboard is cold and lonely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and nephews really like risk 2210, but I could never get the wife into something with tanks or guns or anything like that.

She'd play simple things like monopoly or scategories, but I'd get tired of those in a hurry.

So I asked her to get me Catan this past father's day. I even told her she had to play it with us.

To my surprise, she loved it. We even got her mother playing and we've added the seafarer's expansion.

We're playing a couple times a week at this point. It's really given the family a lot more time together.

At some point I intend to introduce something a little more advanced with less luck like Puerto Rico to the mix.

Or if there's a good Euro that's a happy medium to get me from Catan to Puerto Rico, I'd love to hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
alkaiser wrote:

etc. etc.

OMG I didn't know you were married to my mother!!

Our game group meets twice a month and every time I mention a game night is coming up she says didn't you just play LAST weekend. Then insert all the comments you listed.

So I feel your pain.

These are the same people who watch hours of television every single night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:

Or if there's a good Euro that's a happy medium to get me from Catan to Puerto Rico, I'd love to hear about it.

Maybe Ra? Of course I am not guaranteeing it will get you to Puerto Rico, but at least, you know, you'll get to play Ra.

With my friends online, I play a lot of Amun-re. They also enjoy Hoity Toity and Mykerinos, but Amun-re is really their favorite. I wish Notre Dame were available online with an asynchronous interface (one of them is on dialup), because I'm sure they'd love it. I think we should probably try Tikal together soon, but I don't know how to play it yet....

My mom and sister have really enjoyed Bohnanza and Alhambra, and my mom also likes Ingenious quite a bit. I'd love to try out some economic games with my sister and see what she thinks, given her econ degree, but she lives far away so we haven't had an opportunity.

There are other women I play with as part of various gaming groups, but it's hard to separate what I play with them from what I play generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
These are the same people who watch hours of television every single night.

So true. I don't even tell people that I game online for an hour or two a few nights a week anymore. It earns so many disapproving looks! Though I've found that adding, "It's kind of like how other people watch some TV in the evenings. I just do this instead," kind of helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibaimendi wrote:
monteslu wrote:

Maybe Ra? Of course I am not guaranteeing it will get you to Puerto Rico, but at least, you know, you'll get to play Ra. :)

With my friends online, I play a lot of Amun-re. They also enjoy Hoity Toity and Mykerinos, but Amun-re is really their favorite. I wish Notre Dame were available online with an asynchronous interface (one of them is on dialup), because I'm sure they'd love it. I think we should probably try Tikal together soon, but I don't know how to play it yet....

My mom and sister have really enjoyed Bohnanza and Alhambra, and my mom also likes Ingenious quite a bit. I'd love to try out some economic games with my sister and see what she thinks, given her econ degree, but she lives far away so we haven't had an opportunity.

There are other women I play with as part of various gaming groups, but it's hard to separate what I play with them from what I play generally.

Cool. Thanks for the lead.
Now after reading the reviews on it here, I think I'll pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend loves party games and games with cool bits. She's not really into games where you can attack opponents' positions (HeroScape being a notable exception).

Here's her top 10 from early 2008:
1. Starfarers of Catan (loves the bits)
2. The Three Things Game (hilarious home-made variant of Time's Up!/Celebrities)
3. Pictionary ("Great for a good laugh.")
4. Settlers of Catan ("It's always fun to say 'Do you have wood for my sheep?'")
5. Ticket to Ride
6. Scum / President (fun to move around between hands)
7. Leonardo da Vinci (because of the theme)
8. Coloretto
9. Lord of the Rings (based on her favorite series of books)
10. HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (loves the miniatures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace Whelan
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, myself I tend toward the Eurogames, but really I'll play just about anything. I'm dying to get in some Power Grid.

With my mom - my regular game partner these days. We tend toward tri-ominoes, backgammon, word thief, upwards and the like. Although she like Settlers, Through the Desert, Thurn and Taxis and just about any other game I've thrown out there. Its just that some of these don't play well with only 2.

With my step-daughter (age 12) - She is a true gamer geek. A girl any dad and step-mom can be proud of. Her faves at the moment ar Call of Cthulu RPG, Arkham Horror, The Alchemist (her bing Find from Gen COn last year), Last Night on Earth and the D&D BOardgame (dad usually GMs these and they are pretty fun).

With my daughter (age 9 months) - Patty Cake and Peek-a-Boo are big hits. We're working up to hide & seek. And I've added a ton of great looking kids games to my wishlist for when she gets a bit older.

With my "gamer friends" - Last game I treid was Wealth of Nations. A heavier Euro, and not as much fun as some others. Prior to that a group of friends introduced me to Blue Moon City & Mexica, which were both good. We also really enjoy It's Alive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.