AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night I was playing games (kiddy games) with my 27 month old daughter and afterwards she asks to play a daddy game. Uh-oh, I break out in a cold sweat.

Playing a daddy game means I open up one of my games and we get the bits out, under supervision of course. As I don't want her to put one in her mouth and lose one of the bits and choke.

So I ask her which game she wants to look at and she says "the bean game" and points to a small yellow box. Obviously she wants to look at the bean cards in Bohnanza (again). I'm secretly relieved it wasn't Agricola, as it'd take me an hour to sort all the bits back out and get them bagged up again.

So I get the Bean cards out and show her the pictures and she keeps asking "Whats that one called?" etc.

So anyway, after a few minutes she's picked up names of not one but ALL the bean cards: blue bean, green bean, red bean, soy bean, wax bean (she says he keeps falling over), black-eye bean (she insists this is actually called one-eye bean and daddy is wrong), chilli bean, coffee bean, stinky bean (her favourite). I'm really surprised by how quickly she's absorbed these card names.

So obviously as a gaming Dad I'm feeling very proud of her, though I'm not sure if I should actually be feeling a bit ashamed. Would it have been better to have spent time teaching her shapes or letters of the alphabet or something equally boring useful?

I suspect she picked up the bean names so quickly as she thought they were really funny and was enjoying trying to remember their names. I guess trying to remember the name of an A or a B or a rectangle just doesn't match up to something as visually appealing and fun as Bohnanza.

Moral of story: Don't know but if Uwe Rosenberg could design some Bohnanza bean game sets with beans shaped like alphabet letters or something like that so dads like me can can have a daddy game that doubles as a kids teaching aid, that'd be appreciated

I'd probably have kept my pride/shame to myself but as there is a kids forum here on BGG I thought I'd share it.

AB

EDIT: couple of typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like a picture book. Except with beans! If you could get her to start counting the various kinds of beans too, it'd be perfect.

(I'm only half-joking here. Maybe not even that much.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Think of it like a picture book. Except with beans! If you could get her to start counting the various kinds of beans too, it'd be perfect.

(I'm only half-joking here. Maybe not even that much.)

Just be careful you don't raise a little bean-counter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have even more fun with the original German version. The names just sound so much better to me

Isn't the black eyed bean - 'Augenbohne' in German, which unless I'm mistaken translates as 'Eye Bean' - so your daughter knows what she's talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Ruepprich
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with my 4yo daughter. She got a kick out of the funny pictures. I was actually able to teach her an easy variant of the game. The only change i made is that we could each have four bean fields. I also helped her completing her fields by readily trading good cards with her.
She really enjoyed it. She likes sorting things as it is, and this game allows her to sort things in a fun environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:
You could have even more fun with the original German version. The names just sound so much better to me

Isn't the black eyed bean - 'Augenbohne' in German, which unless I'm mistaken translates as 'Eye Bean' - so your daughter knows what she's talking about.

oh really, I never knew. I'm sure it won't be the first time my daughter knows better than me

AB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flieger wrote:
I had a similar experience with my 4yo daughter. She got a kick out of the funny pictures. I was actually able to teach her an easy variant of the game. The only change i made is that we could each have four bean fields. I also helped her completing her fields by readily trading good cards with her.
She really enjoyed it. She likes sorting things as it is, and this game allows her to sort things in a fun environment.

I'm sure mine will be the sorting type as well. She likes sorting the cards into piles of the same type of bean (which I'm happy for her to do, its kind of like snap when we play except she wins every card and places it on the correct pile. Well on her way to being a bean farmer.

AB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.