Popular Tags: [View All]
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading about the "3rd master placement" rule in the PotE expansion, I am considering trying to use it in the base game alone.

When a master builder is pulled from the bag, is the 3rd master builder put aside (to be placed last, to be placed second-to-last, etc.) if: (a) a player's master builder is placed on the board only -or- (b) a player's master builder is placed either on the board or on the passing track?

Common sense would imply (a), but I just want to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we just keep one master builder of each color set aside. when the first player to pays to place a builder out of the bag, his kept aside builder is place in the last space on the track. next to pay goes to the second to last space and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Keep all the Master Builders in the bag, and replace the Black MB the next time an MB of the controlling player's color is drawn. Pretty simple, really.

I think you're confusing two new rules.
The OP was not talking about the Black Master Builder rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops!
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules (I've bolded the part that answers your question):

Quote:
Place only 2 master builders for each player into the bag. Place the third master builder for each player beside the new board near the master builder track.

- If you are the first player to place your master builder onto the board (not passing, but placing your master builder on a board field), place you third master builder on the "6" space of the master builder track (for a 6 player game). The next player to place his first master builder places is piece on the "5" space (or, for a 5-player game, place here first) and so on.

So, your assumption is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks EvanMinn (et al.)!

Here's a follow-up question:

What happens if everyone passes (that is, how is the order of the 3rd master builders determined if no one pays to place their master builder on the board)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not mention of that in the rules but I would say you the rules still apply about it being based on who places on the board first whether the builder comes from the bag or from the passing spots.

While I have never seen everyone pass, it is not unusual for one or more players to pass on both of their builders drawn from the bag and it just always seemed to make sense to still place the 3rd builder on the master builder spots based on the order they place their first builder on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let me try again - after carefully reading the question this time

Although the rules doesn't specificly mention what will happend if every passes, they do state that the "first player to place a MB on the board will place his 3rd MB on the last space in the player order"

No reason to not to follow this procedure even if all MB's have been drawn from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.