Memoir '44» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Random Gamer at the Cottage Next Door: Game #14 Memoir 44 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. HomoLudens: Well, I just spent a week at a cottage north of Toronto and played some games. Oddly enough, BGG user Ender Wiggins (EndersGame) and his family were at the cottage next door, so we decided to let him and wife play too. Sometimes we even let one or two of his kids play. Yes, the man has kids, although they don't often appear in his many, many photos. We did not let him take any pictures of our games, because the man's made enough GG already.

Mr. Ender: There's nothing like being on vacation and discovering that the random person in the cottage next door is a fellow gamer. Memoir 44 was Game #14 in the many game sessions (see the first here) that resulted from this amazing discovery.

In our second week at the cottage we managed to get in five games of Memoir 44 - four sessions of Scenario #4, and one session of Scenario #3. The first two games saw Son #1 destroy Mr. Ender on both sides of the battle field, first as the Allies (4-2), and then as the Axis (4-2). Switching the opponent to Mrs. Ender didn't help - she won 4-3 with the Allies, and once again Mr. Ender was foiled. But some of their innovative military brilliance finally began to rub off, and the final game with this scenario saw me defeat Son #1 with a score of 4-3.

The fourth scenario plays quite quickly, but in contrast the third scenario has many more units (and includes infantry, armor, and artillery) and gives many more options, and also results in a longer and arguably more satisfying game. Mr. & Mrs. Ender had a lengthy battle, with Mr. Ender coming away with a narrow 5-4 victory as the Allies after an exciting game.

These sessions reminded me how much I enjoy this game. Even though it doesn't have the same possibilities as Battlelore (e.g. the Lore cards), I personally have a slight preference for Memoir 44, mainly because of the emphasis on ranged fire rather than melee combat. Mrs. Ender also enjoys doing scenarios which have a historical basis. A recent viewing of the film "The Longest Day" (which is about the June 6, 1944 operation), also enhanced our appreciation for the game and the events it portrays. It's too bad it takes a bit to set up - perhaps the ideal situation is to set up a scenario like we did, and then play it four times or more over several days. Thumbs up!

----------------------
See an overview of the complete list of 15 games played as part of this series, along with links to each session report here:
The Random Gamer at the Cottage Next Door
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36072
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.