Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
With Josh absent (pretending to be a rat), it was only Randy and Rich available to meet the giants Fafnir and Fafnolt. Or something like that. In any case, after their characters were chosen, Rich was playing Spiritseeker Mok for the second time! Randy was playing Silhouette, if I remember correctly, which I probably don't. In any case, they were really lacking firepower.

The initial room was cleaned out easily enough, but then they met their first giant... and they couldn't hurt him. Seriously, on their best rolls they were only doing a point or two of damage... and mostly nothing at all. Eventually they ran around him and opened the chest and found... nothing useful at all.

Fafnir proceeded down the corridor and took up position outside the door to the next part of the complex, denying them access. Rich and Randy tried a few ineffective things, died a couple of times, and then watched as time ran out and they fled in shame and defeat back to town. The Giants had prevailed!

This was an exceptionally difficult mission with only the two characters (and no good melee character). To some extent the players had chosen their starting equipment poorly, but only to a very limited extent.

I expect that they'll try again with Josh's help and be more successful. However, my first win as the Overlord. Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
This quest forces new players to learn that you don't have to kill the monsters before you take their treasure.
Rather, take their treasure and then see if you can kill 'em. If you can't, well you gotta press on. Gold treasures gives ANY character a very real chance of killing everything in one hit, even if you don't have any dice in that trait.

I have yet to see any monster survive a hit from the frost axe, even when wielded by a mage.

So if you think about it that way, a quest becomes a question of "how fast can we get gold treasures" (which is what some people hate about this game).

Quest 2 with silhouette on the team becomes very easy with that mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
So if you think about it that way, a quest becomes a question of "how fast can we get gold treasures" (which is what some people hate about this game).

But there was no way to get a gold treasure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Falke wrote:

:what: But there was no way to get a gold treasure...

Isn't there a runekey in the giant's room? That might allow access to somewhere with better treasure.

I also wouldn't recommend playing with just two heroes. Have someone play a second character to get up to three at least (my group almost always had four heroes active regardless of players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a runekey. Guess which door the Giant moved in front of and just stayed there for the rest of the game!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They couldn't outrun a speed 2 giant? For shame.

Oh well. More knowledge for the next attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like they couldn't get past it. First it was coming down the corridor towards them (and taking up the entire corridor, of course!) and finally once they got past it, it had reached its position before the door.

The Trap I set off as they entered the Giant's room didn't help, of course...

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games tough with only 2 heroes especially with heroes they drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Falke wrote:

But there was no way to get a gold treasure...

Well, I have the advantage of having the book in front of me. I think it is definitely possible for the heroes to acquire gold treasures very fast: First open the door, get the runekey and the glyph, return to town. (costs a fatigue potion)
The other hero concentrates on the master beastman in the first room. Next turn kill monsters in the middle room and ensure silhoutte has full fatigue (another potion)
3rd turn, open runelocked door and get the gold treasure (costs another fatigue potion). If you really want to mess with the overlord, shut the runelocked door again since only named monsters can open them.

As you see, fatigue potions are key.
I am beginning to think that the greatest enenmy of the hero players isn't the monsters. It's the squares on the board; the distance they have to travel.

If you need further advice, I can highly recommend any articles you may find here on BGG by The_immortal. He has written several, and all are of a very high standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.