Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
What would happen in the following instances:

1. A Polar Bear is bounced to a Floe containing two players. The first player has a Fish, but instead of bouncing the Polar Bear away, moves to an adjacent Floe which contains another Polar Bear. Would this be allowed as they could further bounce the 'new found' Polar Bear away themselves, opening up a multi-ball effect?

2. Would the second player on the first Floe be allowed to follow the previous player. Knowing the other Ice Floe contained a Polar Bear, but safe in the knowledge that the leader has a Fish to feed it? or must the Fish carrying player bounce the new found Polar Bear away before the second player resolves his own situation?

3. What if the 'off turn' Fish holding player were to bounce the Polar Bear to another Floe occupied by another player?

I can see this kind of situation could get somewhat messy. Unless (starting with the person next to the player on turn) the next clockwise player resolves his own situation, then once again (clockwise & starting from the player on turn) each person checks to see whether they are at risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
zombiegod wrote:
What would happen in the following instances:

1. A Polar Bear is bounced to a Floe containing two players. The first player has a Fish, but instead of bouncing the Polar Bear away, moves to an adjacent Floe which contains another Polar Bear. Would this be allowed as they could further bounce the 'new found' Polar Bear away themselves, opening up a multi-ball effect?

My guess would be that this would be allowed, as long as the player moving had a second fish to distract the polar bear on the new ice flow he was moving to (having already used one fish to survive the polar bear that caused him to move in the first place).

Quote:
2. Would the second player on the first Floe be allowed to follow the previous player. Knowing the other Ice Floe contained a Polar Bear, but safe in the knowledge that the leader has a Fish to feed it? or must the Fish carrying player bounce the new found Polar Bear away before the second player resolves his own situation?

My tendency would be to resolve the first bounced player's move first, so that (s)he deals with the polar bear on the floe (s)he escaped two, before the other polar bear victim starts resolving his move.

Quote:
3. What if the 'off turn' Fish holding player were to bounce the Polar Bear to another Floe occupied by another player?

Getting messy, but, again, I would say resolve this third player's response to the polar bear before winding back to resolve the second player on the original floe.

I suspect there might be some cyclical issues here - the order of resolution might make a difference between a player having to deal with one or two polar bear attacks, but I've had too many glasses of wine to think about it now

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

We haven't been ignoring you. But this mind-boggling scenario has caused much amusement at the Ludorum Games office.

It highlights the myriad situations that the simple ICE FLOW rules can get you into. We will cover this one in our next ruleset - being prepared for Spiel'08.

Basically, we agree: the more PB bouncing the better. But control; you must learn control!

Y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.