Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
It's a Zendrum.
$1.50 at KayBee. Who could resist?

My son watches the Butt Uglies from time to time, so I picked it up for him for Christmas.

This game was desigend by one of the co-designers of HeroScape. Obviously, given a license and a few hours, and targetting a 6 year old, its no masterwork.

But there's something really odd about this game.

On your turn, you roll thw die, move your guy - or Martian, as you may choose. The board is a simple maze, with the spaces all nicely numbered to show how many steps you are from "dog", the last space on the board. Every now and then, you get to choose to go a longer, safer route vs a shorter more perilous one.

Safe routes have a few spots that allow you to pull from the Butt Ugly Martian deck, and often move forward. Dangerous routes have the fairly random and often really bad Stoat Muldoon cards. These often redirect you to a certain room, usually way back from where you are.

MOST spaces, however, make you roll the bad guy die. Oooo. On the bad die guy, either the bad guys get closer to earth (basically moving the turn counter forward - if it hits the end, everybody loses), OR you roll a 1 or 2 and move AN OPPONENT 1 or 2 spaces.

Hmmmm. This is the odd element.

This 1 or 2 can be used to let little sister catch up, OR you can maybe USE IT TO MERCILESSLY SCREW SOMEONE UP, by setting them down a wrong path.

So at first, it seems completely luck driven, with a few minor decisions to be made (Risk and speed vs slow and safe), and then out of nowhere, This possible screwage factor shows up.

Luckily, even the littlest players won't get too upset, as I cannot see a game ever being even 15 minutes long.

Oh, yeah, there's definitely a high luck factor, don't get me wrong, my 2 year old daughter beat my son and myself while trying to pull braids out of her My Little Pony.

As licensed kid games go, it isn't far off the mark for the intended audience. As such, I give it a 6.

Special Comment:

There is 1 comment on this game as I write this review. The person had trouble following the rules, and in the end rated the game a 1.

The rules are 4 pages, 2 of which are setup and applying labels and backstory. This leaves two 5x7 or so pages of large print rules.

I am unsure how anyone could misinterpret these rules.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Silcox
United States
flag msg tools
Very nice review. Your daughter sounds highly promising.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.