United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How much of the Olympics are you going to watch on TV?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
TV? Nah, I'm attending the thing
0% 0
Non-stop, no-sleep; all Olympics, all of the time
0% 0
As much as my schedule/spouse will allow
0% 0
Most of the coverage
0% 0
About half the coverage
0% 0
Some of the coverage
0% 0
None
0% 0
Wait, the Olympics are this year?
0% 0
Stop pestering me
0% 0
Voters 102
This poll is now closed.   102 answers
Poll created by Osiris Ra
Closes: Sun Sep 7, 2008 6:00 am

Poll
If you are going to watch, how will you get your information about the events?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I already told you, I'm going to be there
0% 0
TV
0% 0
Internet
0% 0
News Shows
0% 0
Newspapers
0% 0
Sports Shows
0% 0
BGG
0% 0
Friends
0% 0
Other
0% 0
Stop invading my privacy
0% 0
Voters 66
This poll is now closed.   66 answers
Poll created by Osiris Ra
Closes: Sun Sep 7, 2008 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm preforming in the olympics. As a couch diver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, Mutley, and Dirk Dastardly are prepping our Beach Volleyball team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This decision is much easier since I got rid of the TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If, like four years ago, they spend more time on the "heartwarming story of an athletes triumph over adversity" than the actual sport, then I'll watch old war movies on dvd. (if it's Midway...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Same here. It's been gone for about six months now. Can't say that I miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does China get a "plus 2" on each event as host power?
What if America Boycotts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I love the Olympics....but I am getting a DVR for the games so I can filter out the prime time. The prime time crap annoys me, the way they package it. I don't watch many non-live sporting events. When I do watch recorded, I watch it how it happened...just as if it were live with me skipping the commercials....not packages in a story.

I have liked the NBC cable channels showing lots of sports live on the side channels, and it appears they will have a lot of webcasting too.

We will see......NBC always manages to mess something up, but the multiple channels and webcasting are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
SliverXII wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Same here. It's been gone for about six months now. Can't say that I miss it.

We've been without a tv in the house for 9 years but the Olympics are one thing my wife and kids love to watch. So, I drag out the USB tuner and the rabbit ears and they watch "tv" on the computer. Me...not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Does China get a "plus 2" on each event as host power?
What if America Boycotts?

Depends. What's the DEFCON?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Unplugged my aerial a year ago while doing some maintenance. And never got around to plugging it back in. Use my TV for watching movies and playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If they don't get the smog problem sorted out I doubt anyone will "see" anything. A good time to crack open Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I'm definitely going to get as much Olympics as I can possibly absorb. I love the selection of sport the Olympics provides and can't wait. If the US boycotts, well I guess I'll watch it without them, and be pissed that we politicized the last bastion of non political events in the world.

PS: Can we also put a moratorium on all the Luddites on the geek. We get it you don't watch TV. No one cares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I'm definitely going to get as much Olympics as I can possibly absorb. I love the selection of sport the Olympics provides and can't wait. If the US boycotts, well I guess I'll watch it without them, and be pissed that we politicized the last bastion of non political events in the world.

It has always been politicized:

* Hitler created the Opening Ceremonies to show off the glories of Nazism.

* There's a reason these folks compete for their countries and that plags are raised and anthems played for the victors.

* Ever since that funny Austrian fellow with the little moustache started doing so, the world's major powers have used the event to show the superiority of their systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that bothers me is the time delay, so all the "popular" events will already be done when they air them on primetime. Then it becomes like trying to watch the Super Bowl on Monday afternoon without hearing the results ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll keep myself informed via Yahoo Sports (I like to keep track of medal counts). Other than that, I doubt I'll watch a single event, just not into TV much any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Of course.
I will admit one of my favorite Olympic Momments was the US-USSR Hockey Game in 1980.....
But I wish it wasn't politicized, and it doesn't need to be. Especially in the individual sports.

Especially when some of these athletes live in your country, but compete for the nation of their birth, and you meet them. You can find you have more in common with them than the athletes in the same event from your country.

But it is what it is.......the Special Event Status of the Olympics brings the world's attention, which means people will use it.

All of these sports have World Championships all the time in non-Olympic years, and they don't get the huge attention, so they aren't as politicized...and I wish it were like that with the Olympics.....but I think there is still a way to go before it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Blott wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is the time delay, so all the "popular" events will already be done when they air them on primetime. Then it becomes like trying to watch the Super Bowl on Monday afternoon without hearing the results ahead of time.
Exactly!!!!!
I wish they would just play them live whenver they happen....even on a side cable channel....and then they can play their taped-hyped up story version for primetime.

The people who like everything in a nice story (which the networks say is their target audience...those that don't watch sports normally, but watch the Olympics, and want their "stories.") can watch primetime, and those that just like watching the events themeselves can watch the live stuff. I am hoping the webcasting will sort of give that to me this year.

My worst memory was the Winter Olympics (I think Nagano). The figure skating was slotted for primetime, even though the results were 8 hours or more old on the West Coast. The US-Russia Hockey game was on live on primetime on the west coast. The east coast was able to watch the game live (midnight there) because the taped figure skating was already shown on their primetime. Those on the West Coast couldn't watch the live Hockey feed becasue they wanted us all to watch their taped figure skating coverage in primetime. I would have had to wait until our midnight to watch the taped version of the game...which by then I said screw it and didn't watch anything that day at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The summer Olympics will always have a special place for me. My son was born just days before the last summer Olympics, so we watched a LOT of them--even the middle-of-the-night stuff!

"Holy crap we have a baby. Holy crap we have a baby. Holy crap we have a baby. Hey, that was a really nice dive. Holy crap we have a baby. Holy crap we have a baby."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate how many women's sports are performed by young girls. When that one girl broke her leg doing some stupid gymnastics trick, how old was she? Why wasn't her coach charged with abuse for letting her perform with a broken limb?

Why is men's boxing allowed and not women's? Those are real women who could kick my ass.

I hate all those stupid back stories about how hard these athletes lives were while they trained. Doesn't sound as hard as some kid starving or being forced into prostitution or something.

Ribbon dancing? A sport?

Network coverage is awful. There are a million cable channels, use them. Show every sport when it happens. Have a prime time show of the ratings grabbers and let the fans decide what they want to watch or Tivo.

Was that crabby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:

* Hitler created the Opening Ceremonies to show off the glories of Nazism.

* There's a reason these folks compete for their countries and that plags are raised and anthems played for the victors.

* Ever since that funny Austrian fellow with the little moustache started doing so, the world's major powers have used the event to show the superiority of their systems.

How about Cleisthenes, tyrant of Sicyon in the 6th century, announcing the contest for the hand of his daughter after winning the chariot race? Or Nero? And all the numerous political intrigues in between, not to mention several wars concerning and once during the Olympics.

This isn't anything new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Olympics are ok, the X-Games are way more awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will channel surf through, if it is interesting I'll watch. If not I will surf on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.