Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This appears to be a classic example of shills in action.

Two of the three people who like the game really like the game (gave it a 10) and have only rated one game. The other person who rates a little lower loves the Griddly series and may be legit.

If you want further proof, just look: they are from Canada (the country of origin for the game).

If you want conclusive proof, consider that Tom Vasel reviewed it and didn't like it (rated a 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're at this again? Oh dear.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's been too long since the previous incident(s), and some new companies/designers are willing to try to sneak in under the radar?

EDIT: Incidentally, the two commenting raters both make spelling mistakes involving a misplaced "e". The umm, plot thickens, I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
They PM'd me about sending me a game so I could review it. I send them my address, and never got anything from them. I sent them 2 geek mails since then asking about it and I haven't heard anything back. They might get more ratings if they actually send the things that they say they will send.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
otrex wrote:
I guess it's been too long since the previous incident(s), and some new companies/designers are willing to try to sneak in under the radar?

EDIT: Incidentally, the two commenting raters both make spelling mistakes involving a misplaced "e". The umm, plot thickens, I think?

Even more amusing is Reisa Schwartzman has two accounts, one of which is named Griddly Games, yet the other account says "Would like to have the hockey game too." Well, why don't you just open one up, since you apparently work for/own Griddly Games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Un Streetfighter avec un doctorat
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, they hate our Freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the subtlety here, those comments so absolutely sound NOT like taken directly from a brochure written by someone who never even saw the game and used a bunch of typical boardgame buzzwords to cover it up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Good morning folks,
I read Tom Vasel's review of our game. I think that we have clearly established that our games are not BGG type games, they are family fun games. The samples which I said that I would send out were sent, if I had realized that one hadn't showed up (they were sent via USPS) I would have sent out another one immediately.
We have already established that Reisa has two accounts and that the initial rating was done through one of those accounts to try to generate interest. Since the original rating neither Reisa nor I have reviewed or rated any of our products.
Although Tom's review was not favorable, others were, check out Boardgame News. The Griddly Headz line are family fun games, not strategy games. I thank you all for helping us to confirm that.
I'm not sure what sparked this thread but if any of you need anything cleared up please let me know, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have honestly and openly as I did in the original thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Even more amusing is Reisa Schwartzman has two accounts...

Three accounts:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Reisa

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Griddly+Games

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/rschwartzman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Griddly wrote:
I'm not sure what sparked this thread but if any of you need anything cleared up please let me know, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have honestly and openly as I did in the original thread.

Over the years BGG has been operating, several persons affiliated with game publishers have tried to use BGG's rating system to promote their games by giving them unusually high ratings -- without disclosing that the ratings are by persons affiliated with the companies. This is normally done by persons who don't have a history with BGG and who only rate one or a few games from that company. For the reasons listed above, this appears to be what is at work here. This is known as "shilling" and is abhorred by the BGG community.

As an amusing side-note, Tom Vasel is a reviewer with a reputation for liking almost every game he reviews and he rated this game harshly. This also suggests that the extremely high ratings are not deserved.

Your message seems sincere. I don't know whether the company approves of what was done by these individuals (though at least one of them appears to be affiliated with the company--all may be), but it is the credibility of the ratings and attempted manipulation of BGG ratings that are at issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Griddly wrote:
Good morning folks,
I read Tom Vasel's review of our game. I think that we have clearly established that our games are not BGG type games, they are family fun games. The samples which I said that I would send out were sent, if I had realized that one hadn't showed up (they were sent via USPS) I would have sent out another one immediately.
We have already established that Reisa has two accounts and that the initial rating was done through one of those accounts to try to generate interest. Since the original rating neither Reisa nor I have reviewed or rated any of our products.

But apart from occasionally popping up to defend your shilling, you haven't done anything about it, such as for example removing your fake rating.
Quote:

Although Tom's review was not favorable, others were, check out Boardgame News. The Griddly Headz line are family fun games, not strategy games. I thank you all for helping us to confirm that.

I read Dale's review. He certainly had to work hard to come up with something positive to say in conclusion, since saying positive things is the intent of that site. I wouldn't be keen to promote that review to people who would actually read the whole thing, but maybe reading reviews is just a "BGG type" thing to do.

You seem awfully keen to dismiss everything on BGG as a 'BGG type' or 'strategy' game, which is odd given the large number of children's games here which receive quite good ratings and reviews. I think you just need to switch around a couple of terms you are using when you're talking to a BGG audience so your meaning is clearer. I'd suggest replacing all instances of 'BGG type' or 'strategy' with 'worthwhile' and all instances of 'family fun' with 'crap'.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
dominojones wrote:
Griddly wrote:

Over the years BGG has been operating, several persons affiliated with game publishers have tried to use BGG's rating system to promote their games by giving them unusually high ratings -- without disclosing that the ratings are by persons affiliated with the companies. This is normally done by persons who don't have a history with BGG and who only rate one or a few games from that company. For the reasons listed above, this appears to be what is at work here. This is known as "shilling" and is abhorred by the BGG community.

As an amusing side-note, Tom Vasel is a reviewer with a reputation for liking almost every game he reviews and he rated this game harshly. This also suggests that the extremely high ratings are not deserved.

Your message seems sincere. I don't know whether the company approves of what was done by these individuals (though at least one of them appears to be affiliated with the company--all may be), but it is the credibility of the ratings and attempted manipulation of BGG ratings that are at issue.

I wasn't aware that ratings could be removed, if I had I would have done this as it is embarrassing. When Reisa originally rated the game we didn't understand the BGG community. We didn't know much (certainly not enough) about the gaming industry in general at that time. Any reviews since then are legit. Some people like the game and some clearly don't. Thankfully there are a large variety of games on the market and people can choose games which suit their tastes.
I am not a geek and neither is Reisa, we enjoy playing games with our families and friends. I have spent some time playing games I see mentioned regularly on this site and I have come to enjoy some of them. I will continue to play games not only to learn about the different mechanics in each game but because I enjoy them.
The original game rating was a poor choice and I will apologize for it again on Reisa's behalf - it was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
thepackrat wrote:
Griddly wrote:
Good morning folks,

But apart from occasionally popping up to defend your shilling, you haven't done anything about it, such as for example removing your fake rating.
Quote:

I read Dale's review. He certainly had to work hard to come up with something positive to say in conclusion, since saying positive things is the intent of that site. I wouldn't be keen to promote that review to people who would actually read the whole thing, but maybe reading reviews is just a "BGG type" thing to do.

You seem awfully keen to dismiss everything on BGG as a 'BGG type' or 'strategy' game, which is odd given the large number of children's games here which receive quite good ratings and reviews. I think you just need to switch around a couple of terms you are using when you're talking to a BGG audience so your meaning is clearer. I'd suggest replacing all instances of 'BGG type' or 'strategy' with 'worthwhile' and all instances of 'family fun' with 'crap'.

B>

I am not keen to dismiss anything I have read on BGG. In hindsight if I had known how much free advice was available on BGG before going into production I can guarantee that many things would have been done differently.
I appreciate your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.