Wings of War: Miniatures» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Every game is better with minis! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I didn't drive all the way down here to play a peace game
United States
Mission Hills
flag msg tools
I was looking forward to trying Wings of War again. I had played only once a long time ago, and just with the cards. "Every game is better with minis!" I enthused, and Clyde concurred. He opened up a big cardboard box and dumped out a bunch of boxed Wings of War WWI minis. "Any preferences?"

"I don't care. I'll take a random one," I said, whisking an armful under the table and pulling one out.

"Try again. That's British. We're playing Germans on this side of the table," Rocky said.

"Fine, then!" I yanked out the Kempf DR1 to go along with Rocky's Red Baron, and we squared off against Andrew's Sopwith Camel and Clyde's Spad. Andrew explained that we would not be using the "tailing" rule, and the insta-kill explosion damage card would be considered 1 point of damage instead. We proceeded with the perennial favorite mission of "Kill!!"

I started off toward nearest target Andrew, and Rocky went for Clyde. Clyde turned back toward the far corner, his running away prompting taunting from Rocky related to Clyde's French-built plane. Meanwhile, I was getting the worst of it from Andrew, and realized we Germans should be sticking together for more opportunities to fire. But as I turned toward Rocky, Andrew hit me with a golden BB that set me ablaze. Three turns later, I exploded from accumulated fire damage, giving Andrew the first kill. I respawned back in my table corner in a gaily-camouflaged Albatross.

Before I could get back to the fight, Rocky got double-teamed and was shot down. I approached the battle zone again, this time with caution. My Albatross was less nimble but a bit sturdier than the DR1, and I was starting to get the hang of the game. Circling toward Andrew but staying just out of range, I then swooped in about 6" behind him, adding a slip and a stall to keep him in my sights for a couple of shots, but my guns jammed before I could finish him off. Rocky arrived in his new contrasting Albatross and put the last nail in Andrew's coffin. "Killstealer!", I cried. cry

I went for Clyde with gusto, who took several shots from me while secretly suffering from some debilitating special damage that left him floundering in my sights. Once again, Rocky dove in for the killing blow. My whining about the injustice of it all fell on deaf ears. War is heck.

It was getting late, and Rocky and Clyde opted not to respawn after their next deaths. Soon only Andrew and I were left in the air for a final duel to the death. We Immelmanned toward each other with the speedy abandon of gamers who wanted to go home. Nose to nose, we emptied our guns, dealing each other two damage cards. Andrew's plane absorbed the hits, but mine could take no more abuse, her smoky unrecoverable spin augering me into the vast featureless green felt countryside of the tabletop. Ka-boom!

This played very well with four players. I'd like to play it again to try out some of the various missions.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.