Hide
5 Posts

Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janusz Sokol
msg tools
A block in combat can (besides Fire and Retreat) also PASS. What is a use of it?

It can be useful to wait for some other units to balance the losses and retreat together. Other way I don't see it.

And small question about Sea Move - is Mentieth coastal area? I guess, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never passed. There is no use to passing; I suppose its in the rules to imply that a unit is not forced to fight or retreat during its turn. Yes Menteith is a coastal area. Enjoy. HotS is an awesome game

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one occasion when you might want to pass - when you don't want to damage a block that you're about to capture. Suppose it's the last turn of the year, and you are defender in a battle. The only remaining attacking blocks are nobles who you are going to convert in the upcoming winter. It might be better to pass rather than to fire and kill the noble (since then you're damaging what will soon be your own block).

It's not unusual to use blocks you're going to lose anyway for cannon-fodder and pinning attacks, so this situation, while not common, does come up from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a good point. I can see how you would not want to reduce the strength of a noble you are about to capture bacause you took over his homeland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Sokol
msg tools
I see - good explanation.

However maybe in rules 2.4, it can be added:
If a block passed in its last combat turn, it can retreat together with any next retreating block.

Why?
- it's more 'realistic' to retreat most of the (or even entire) army together;
- retreating side can reasonably balance losses i.e. not to lose a noble or Wallace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.