Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent payment for a game to a seller in Germany (I'm in the USA) over a month ago. The seller emailed me and said he had mailed it a couple of days later.

I still haven't received the game...what's the typical time it takes to get from Germany to the US assuming he paid for the cheapest postage?

He hasn't replied to my last few emails by the way.

Thanks for any insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surface it has taken me up to 12 weeks to receive items from Germany. Long enough that I was really worried about whether or not it was ever going to arrive. But surface 10-12 weeks is not unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6-8 weeks is a pretty standard minimum for something shipped surface. I have seen this take as long as four months before. I've even had it take less than four weeks. I would be more worried about the packing or actual rough treatment of the package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies...I'm a bit less stressed about it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the East coast,I have bought from British and French companies and gotten games in one week or 2 weeks at the latest. 4-6 weeks sounds way too long. Customs may hold it up but not that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living overseas from your purchase often requires one to just assume our purchase is on the way... expectations will only make that waiting time appear longer.

As a general rule, shipping prices have increased and globalization has put pressure on shipping companies to maximize profits.

The results are that often our surface shipped materials become delayed. in fact my buddy in california was recently informed he could no longer ship to me in asia via surface methods.

One of my clients here in asia is a major shipping company, so I inquired with them about this new development and was informed that indeed all US based surface shipping is now going out of the east coast and that west coast is no longer dealing with US postal surface mail requests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donpaulo wrote:
Living overseas from your purchase often requires one to just assume our purchase is on the way... expectations will only make that waiting time appear longer.

As a general rule, shipping prices have increased and globalization has put pressure on shipping companies to maximize profits.

The results are that often our surface shipped materials become delayed. in fact my buddy in california was recently informed he could no longer ship to me in asia via surface methods.

One of my clients here in asia is a major shipping company, so I inquired with them about this new development and was informed that indeed all US based surface shipping is now going out of the east coast and that west coast is no longer dealing with US postal surface mail requests

Yeah, there was some recent change from the post office about taking along "small" packages international that really hurt the international shipping of ebay kinda items. I forget exactly what it was, just that it was a change done by US Post Office.

I've had some international items take a long time, and other times be quite quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
Yeah, there was some recent change from the post office about taking along "small" packages international that really hurt the international shipping of ebay kinda items. I forget exactly what it was, just that it was a change done by US Post Office.

The USPS completely eliminated 'surface' shipment, which was the cheapest option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fleischman
United States
Lemont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
The USPS completely eliminated 'surface' shipment, which was the cheapest option.

This is definitely a negative. However, there are a few positives. The first is that while surface shipment is no more, there still is First Class International which is the cheapest way to go while still arriving in a decent time. The second is that there's now Priority Mail International, that allows the use of normal Priority Mail boxes with arrival in 7 days or less. For a 3 pound box or so, it seems expensive at about $34 to Europe. But I checked out DHL, FedEx and UPS and all are around $100 for the same box!!! Priority Mail International is a bargain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
South Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my mom sent a package from the USA to Philippines, and she chose "surface" (which means by slow boat) it was supposed to be there for Christmas, but arrived in time for Christmas the FOLLOWING YEAR...surprise surprise 13 months later!!! i guess it is always worth paying a few dollars extra for Airmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A professional SELLER should send an email to the buyer and specify the shipping cost and method , time of delivery etc -> communication !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nello wrote:
A professional SELLER should send an email to the buyer and specify the shipping cost and method , time of delivery etc -> communication !

He gave me the shipping cost but not the shipping method or time of delivery...it was a small item, shipping cost was 3 Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
nello wrote:

He gave me the shipping cost but not the shipping method or time of delivery...it was a small item, shipping cost was 3 Euro.

I just recently got Agricola from Spain, it took about 2 weeks to arrive here, it came by the cheapest method that is by boat, so it got pretty fast.

I guess you could just wait a few weeks and then worry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ordered about 6 times from Germany, the bulk coming from 12spiel.de . To NZ, the arrival time has varied from 1 to 8 weeks so i wouldn't be getting nervous just yet if I were you.

Maybe because I'm cheap, but all the sites I've ordered from Germany (apart from defunct Adam-spielt, which was not cheap) do not communicate as effectively as US sites. I now accept that I need to watch my account (Paypal or whatever) to see if the order has finally been actioned and then I send an email asking for confirmation of the order. Without asking I'd hear nothing but I have never been ripped off...touch wood...oo-er!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.