Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! Can anyone provide ANY info. on this game? The system is based on an earlier GMT title, right? I thought DVG was producing this game, but now I see it'll be from Decision Games...

I just saw the game listing over on Boulder Games' website. I played a lot of Dogfight as a kid, so I have a weakness for the subject matter!!!!! Any info. AT ALL about the game (complexity level, how it plays, ANYTHING!) would be appreciated! THANKS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it looks like it is based on the GMT Down in Flames system, without the pilot specialties (at least so far), based on the cards. The game came out at Origins. You have a leader and 2 wingmen (I believe the GMT system had 1 leader + 1 wingman).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, without editorializing on their website design, I eventually found its listing here:

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/flying_circus.html

Also, see their "What's New!" page:

http://www.decisiongames.com/html/whats_new_.html for dates about when the deluxe edition is arriving, shipping....

Looks interesting and I prefer WWI but I'm not quite sold yet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played a couple of games since picking it up at the start of the week; Flying Circus is a pretty lightweight card game. You get three aircraft (1 leader, 2 wingmen), and play a straightforward game of laying attack cards, which can be countered by your opponent, and then countered in turn by you. Apparently it’s similar to the designer’s earlier game Down In Flames, but I’ve not played that. Artwork is nicely done, the cards are decent quality, and the rulebook is OK (took a couple of rereads for what turns out to be a very simple game).

The couple of games I’ve played have been fun and over in about half an hour. I like WW1 aerial games, and think I’ll play this a fair bit. Time will tell, but I’m positive about it at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something I'd like! Thanks, Dan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've played: Does it have the notion of advantage like Down in Flames? I wonder what the full list of differences are? I want this game more, but I worry that it's simpler than Down in Flames (which I've not played either)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Circus does have the notion of Advantage and also Tailing (a better Advantage) - both you which you play cards to manoeuvre into, and both of which allow you firing advantages when you're there. I've not played Down In Flames, so don't know how it compares to that (so am not sure of the differences), but gameplay is pretty simplistic here. There's no altitude, for example, although the cards make reference to climbing & diving, and i think these are/will be covered in an expansion. As a quick and simple game, I enjoyed it as an alternative to Wings of War (also felt inspired to pull out Richthofen's War after about 15 years on the shelf...!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have the huge advantage for going first that DiF does?

When we learned the "trick" of "send the wingman to suck a few cards out, then attack again with your main effort," it basically ended the game for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about a huge advantage in going first so far - in the very first turn, the first player doesn't get to use his wingmen, just his leader, so that sort of balances out the advantage in going first. The second player's first turn allows him to use both wingmen and leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danmer wrote:
Not sure about a huge advantage in going first so far - in the very first turn, the first player doesn't get to use his wingmen, just his leader, so that sort of balances out the advantage in going first. The second player's first turn allows him to use both wingmen and leader.

This rule was also part of Eight Air force, the first expansion to Down in Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.