BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: new abstract strategy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an avid abstract Strategy gamer in a small Canadian city I rarely see a new game when it is released (it's Wally World or bust here)

So are there are any new abstract strategy games that have come out in the last few months which are worth a serious look?

are any others supposed to be released heading to Christmas this year? Or, into 2009?

Thanks all
Talisinbear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have to acquire the rest of the GIPF games, dude. You've only rated GIPF and ZERTZ so far. You should also look into The Battle for Hill 218. It's not a pure abstract, but it's quite chess-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gipf games (at least Yinsh)
Einfach Genial
Fire and Ice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look into Icehouse pyramids. There are 200+ games that can be played with them and many are awesome abstract strategy games. Ones I would recommend right off the bat:

Volcano, Pikemen, Pylon, Homeworlds and Logger. (There are dozens more that I enjoy.)

Other non-icehouse abstract strategy games I would recommend:
Blokus Trigon, Gyges, Blokus 3D, Micropul, Torres, Through the Desert, Quoridor, Cathedral, & Pente.

And of course as mentioned above the rest of the Gipf series is awesome.

Lastly, I think Hey, That's My Fish! is an excellent abstract strategy game. (With 2 players) I'm curious what about it you didn't like.

Edit: Check out this geeklist: Two Player Abstracts Suitable for Tournament Play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
ConHex (2002),
Unlur (2002),
Hive (2001)

Pente is excellent, not too new though. Much deeper than it's given credit for.
Also, there is
The Game of Y, which is also very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TZAAR is the latest of the Project GIPF games (released a few months ago in North America)
Metropolys is the latest Ystari game, and while not marketed as an abstract game the building bidding and placement definately give the game an abstract feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just picked up Ponte del Diavolo although not yet played it - not many abstract fans amongst my mates. You should definitely look for Pacru. Both can be played online should you like that sort of thing (I don't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
I've just picked up Ponte del Diavolo although not yet played it - not many abstract fans amongst my mates. You should definitely look for Pacru. Both can be played online should you like that sort of thing (I don't).

I've played Ponte del Diavolo on www.Yucata.de. It is a good game, although I'm mediocre at it. I probably should buy a copy to play against some of my friends since they don't play online much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadon will make a prototype of my Lazo game this month.

But I don't know if they will ever publish it or not.

I think it's a really great abstract.

But I also like Hex, so YMMV.

It uses these cool tiles which stack together.

But thinking in three dimensions might be too difficult for most gamers.

Maybe everything will be alright...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Suuraho
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
You could try Hinguere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
Kadon will make a prototype of my Lazo game this month.

I think it's a really great abstract.

It uses these cool tiles which stack together.

But thinking in three dimensions might be too difficult for most gamers.

Lazo looks pretty cool. I'm not sure I understand how marbles wouldn't work, but perhaps reading the rules will clear it up.

If we're pimping our own games (not that there is anything wrong with that) I think Ambush is a pretty decent abstract. And it won the 2008 Summer Icehouse Game Design Competition.

Rahakasvi wrote:
You could try Hinguere

Pauli - You need to get some more content on that game page. Pictures, rules download, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzaar is definitely on my list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah Pente was made years ago, have that

Hive and Yinsh are excellent

Hey That's My Fish is so-so, ok for 3 or 4, the silly theme bothers me

most of the others listed so far have been around

I was hoping something new might be on the horizon

Can anyone comment on Exxit ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
Ah Pente was made years ago, have that

Hive and Yinsh are excellent

Hey That's My Fish is so-so, ok for 3 or 4, the silly theme bothers me

most of the others listed so far have been around

I looked over the games you had rated and made suggestions based on that. Regardless of new or not. (For me, an old abstract that I didn't know about is just as good as an new one.) As you are well aware abstracts are a slim percentage of new games released each year.

I'm surprised that the theme of Hey! That's My Fish! bothers you, but to each their own. (Would perhaps Hey! Those are My Nuts! work better?)

The newest I've played are TZAAR & Ponte del Diavolo (already mentioned above). Oh, I also tried Army of Frogs, we played with 4 and I found it fairly chaotic, but with 2 it might be good. One game that grabbed my eye, but I haven't decided to plunk down the cash is Honeypot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know AS games are rare, that's why I sought some leads

I have several games I own but have not yet rated

Frogs looks like a guy that created a gen in Hive, was lacking a follow up idea.

Honeypot might be OK, the reviews are quite mixed it seems.

as for HTM Fish, it could be the corney fish tiles, and the penguins. Seems like a kid's theme, not a classic AS

That said Hive doesn't bother me, so just asthetics I suppose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know you asked for recent games, but things seem to have moved off-topic a bit, so...

Have you looked at Navia Dratp? I don't see it in your profile, and it might never have filtered up into your neck of the woods, but it is worth a look. It originally had collectible expansion pieces, but you can give it a try with just two starter sets (preferably different ones, although that isn't necessary either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Puopolo
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

Kogworks, which has been out in Australia for a little while, and Europe a shorter while should be hitting your side of the world soon. While it looks simple, the two separate roads to victory create some surprisingly deep gameplay. And if you happen to enjoy Kogworks, pretty much all of the companies other games fall into the catagory of abstract strategy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just self-published Cannonball Colony, which is basically an abstract. The main mechanic is double-layered tile-laying, and it plays 2-4 people. Might be up your alley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

Bought it but haven't played it. So the only comments I can make are:
(1) it's not as aesthetically pleasing as I had anticipated and it's kind of a PITA to store (it's foam and basically you have to put the pieces back in the strips you just punched them out of if you want to store them in the original packing and not have everything just fall out when you open it).

(2) the rules weren't well-written but with a little work you can figure them out/rewrite them (just budget time in advance -- don't expect to pull it out in a cafe and figure it out on the spot while your playmate sits patiently awaiting instruction.)

(3) I think you can try it out online (in both AI and real opponent formats).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into abstract strategy games, you might enjoy a couple of the better books on the subject. A Gamut of Games by acclaimed game designer Sid Sackson is full of excellent games. Most of them are abstracts, and all can be played using a checkerboard, playing cards, or simple handmade bits.

If you'd like to learn more about the math behind games, you might pick up Winning Ways for Your Mathematical Plays. It's a two-volume set which will cost you $50 or so, but if you put some study time into these books you'll never play abstract strategy games the same way again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Although I am also an abstract gamer, we seem to prefer different kinds. I think, broadly speaking, many abstracts can be classified into the "Chess branch" and the "Go branch". Looking at your ratings, you seem to prefer the Chess branch: Hive, Chess, etc. I prefer the Go branch: Hex, Hey That's My Fish, Amazons, Through the Desert, etc. So take my recommendations with that in mind.

Hey That's My Fish: you said it lacks depth. I strongly disagree. In fact, this is as close as it gets to Go. Many of the concepts are similar. With a few changes (as described in my review), this can be a very deep game. Don't be fooled by the marketing and artwork of this cutesy "family" game. It really is a wolf in sheep's clothing. By the way, the four player game is trash don't play that. Two player is best and three player is alright.

Hex: my favorite game. I suspect you may not like it though, and nobody really sells this game anyways. You can try the game at boardspace.net or ludoteka.com. Read my review for more details.

Go-moku and Connect 6: you can play these with your Go set. Deceptively simple, but quite deep.

Blokus, Through the Desert: one of the very few abstracts that is decent with 4 players.

Pylos

Quads

Quoridor

Othello

Amazons

Taiji

Nine Men's Morris

The above are what I consider to be in the Go branch. For some in the Chess branch:

Breakthrough

XiangQi

And there is also the Gipf series. Personally, of the ones I've played I rank them in this order: Yinsh, Punct, Dvonn, Zertz.

Oware is another deceptively simple, but very deep game.

There's also the "abstracts" with hidden information: Clans and Ghosts! Clans in particular is a very nice game (2 players).

I've written reviews for many of these games. They are all titled "portrait of the koala as a..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey that's my fish was ok as a 4 player laugh fest, as a serioys game, no way.

hex, gee I wanna like it, but darn it's boring, and even when I tried it online, forget the site, I won every game. I rally need to find someone that really loves the game to show me what I am missing

Amazons is pretty good, but sadly you learn rather quickly its about blocking off a chunk of territory you can hide in, rather than going after capturing the opponent. Still it usually comes down to only a stone of two difference so I don't mind.

gipf games are great

I love Yinsh, Zertz, Gipf, and Tzaar looks promising. Dvonn is hohum at best in trials on line, Punct has never interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought exitt was wood pieces , darn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We can arrange a game of hex in a couple of weeks when I get my own laptop back.

There is a strong Amazons AI that you can download online.

Dvonn takes a couple of games to "get", I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
I thought exitt was wood pieces , darn

Yeah, me too. Maybe there are different editions. I bought mine at levalet.com (which was the only place I could find it in North America) and it was expensive enough ($39.95) to be wood. Yet it was foam. FWIW, I have the black and red version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.