Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first expansion to buy, would you suggest one of the maps (and if so, which one), or the plant deck?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest one of the maps over the deck. The deck is good but is more to "breathe life" into it after you have every power plant memorized. If you're still just starting out with PG, it won't be needed for a while.

I suggest a map then. Which one depends on what you are looking at. I don't have enough plays on mine to determine all their nuances. But these are my general impressions which may be right or wrong.

F/I - Seems the most similar to the original map in that all the starting resources are the same as the base game but refreshing the resources are different - making subtle changes that way. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other rule changes. France has the "mega city" of Paris with three locations representing it. Zero connection cost between the three but it is pricey to head out of the city. Almost forgot, that a uranium plant comes out early and replaces the number 13 plant. Italy is the first to change up city art. It also has a narrow layout and so "blocking" becomes a bit more prevelant and costly to overcome.

CE/B - This is where the rules start getting tweaked a bit. Initial resources are changed up as well. Central Europe features countries with some unique rules. One collects garbage and gives you a benefit for getting it there (sorry, don'tr ecall the details). Nuclear Power is only usable in some so you can't buy a Nuclear plant unless you have a house in that country. Benelux is more focused on renweable energy so the wind/hydro plants are more readily available. It also plays the fastest as well as the market "recycles" as well!

C/K - This should be release soon. I think these sound like the most interesting so far. China is to release each power plant in numerical order for the first two steps. (But after typing it, sounds like it might get dull after a while - so the Deck 2 might be a good investment with this map!). Korea is supposed to have two resource markets which should make for some interesting purchasing decisions.

If nothing particularly suits you then I would get them in the order they were published (F/I, CE/B, C/K) as they each seem to get a bit more intertesting. Or, since they are cheap, just get them all at once and save on shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recomment Central Europe/Benelux: for both sides the rules are a little tweaked and for the Benelux: it gives you a shorter game, which is on some moments a good option.
I'm also looking forward to China/Korea. Could be a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrianne Lurie
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd go for Benelux/Central Europe first. The Benelux map plays a lot quicker ('cause you discard the lowest plant each turn even in steps 1 & 2), so if you're pressed for time, it's still an option.

You'll eventually want to buy ALL the expansions, of course, but you have to start somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get Central Europe also because it has Poland, and it's rare to see Wrocław on a game map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gjnave wrote:
For the first expansion to buy, would you suggest one of the maps (and if so, which one), or the plant deck?

thanks

You have the base game right? You like it, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. Hmm...I gotta be honest. The plant deck and all three map sets are so relatively inexpensive ($10-$15/mapset, less for the cards), that I honestly think that you'll find ALL of them welcome additions if you like the base game. If it's a matter of not wanting to buy all of them at once, pick up the first two mapsets, then the plant deck, then the China/Korea maps, which hopefully will still be in print by then. Previous posters like ColtsFan have already pointed out the differences. I own all but China/Korea myself and that's already been preordered and I love them all. Yeah, I'm a bit biased, but I found the changes the new maps and cards brought not only interesting, but very welcome in my playgroup. Spiced up the game and gave that already great game more depth and play options.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
F/I - Seems the most similar to the original map in that all the starting resources are the same as the base game but refreshing the resources are different - making subtle changes that way.

This is not right, on these maps the refresh rates are the same as the original maps, but the starting resources are different. In France Uranium starts at 5 so is much cheaper, while in Italy Coal and Oil are swapped, with Coal starting at 3 and Oil at 1, also trash starts cheaper at 5. These changes will have an effect on early game strategy, but with the possible exception of the much cheaper early French Uranium, tend to become less significant as the game goes on, because of the unchanged refresh rate.

In my view in general, the new maps just serve to add a bit of variety in the game, although the Italian map, unless you have just 3 players and choose the 3 northern regions, is possibly the most challenging of those currently available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. It's Benelux & Central Europe ftw!

Just curious, how well do these fit into the original box? Do you need to store them separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can just about squeeze everything so far in to the original box, but China/Korea will probably be one expansion too much for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the expansion maps on top of the other stuff in the box; the lid sits on top of them, roughly a centimeter higher than it would be if it closed fully without the expansion maps. I am thinking about removing the box insert and putting all the flat maps/rules on the bottom of the box. But I don't carry the box around much, so it doesn't bother me much as it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them all. I have.

If you remove the insert then they (the current ones) all fit (just). Some may say I am getting Funkenschlag: EnBW just to be a Power Grid completist, others may say it so I have room to fit future expansions ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.