Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

Is it possible for one player to take the "Family growth without room" action more than one turn? I can't see where this would be forbidden, in the (French) rules. On the other hand, this seems too powerful to be allowed. What's your take on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely permissible.

I don't consider it too powerful since, as a Stage 5 card, the maximum number of times that it could be used in a game would be three; equally likely is only being available for two rounds. Unless you have the "Adoptive Parents" occupation a player would only be able to benefit from the extra actions from this card twice or once (depending which round it comes out in).

By that point in the game if you haven't got a solid farm operating, getting that extra action this late in the game is unlikely to swing a game unless it is extremely close. Using this action to get an extra family member is a good way of getting three VPs, assuming you can feed them and no-one else has grabbed it first!

(Edited for stupid typo!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, but remember there are other players in the game.

They have an equal opportunity to take as you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say possible .
but the family growth with minor improvement is much better , when you have the right improvements ;) and enough room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
It's entirely permissible.

I don't consider it too powerful since, as a Stage 5 card, the maximum number of times that it could be used in a game would be three; (...)
Using this action to get an extra family member is a good way of getting three VPs

Thanks! It's good to know that it is possible to play the "Family growth without room" action many times without having any room left in the house. 9 VPs in 3 actions (for instance for the player with the initiative) looks quite good to me (as people do roughly only 3 VP in 3 actions, on average).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Hello everybody,

Is it possible for one player to take the "Family growth without room" action more than one turn? I can't see where this would be forbidden, in the (French) rules. On the other hand, this seems too powerful to be allowed. What's your take on this?

Yes, you can even have 5 people living in two rooms. This is neither forbidden nor over-powered. Most players will have more people earlier. So, waiting for the last 2-3 rounds to get thos extra people is rather bad than cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.