Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much to my dismay, the table I am currently using (a square 35") simply cannot hold some of my larger games that I am itching to play. War of the Ring? Forget about it! Arkham Horror? No way.

So I thought now would be a good opportunity to shop around for a new table, one that could accommodate games of the large-board variety.

We have an IKEA here in Utah, so I am definitely interested in anything from there, but I am open to other stores as well.

thanks for any suggestions!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowe's or home depot used to sell an 8 foot utility table with a molded plastic top that had folding legs but also folded in half, so you could pack it into a car easily. They're sturdy and easy to store, but the break in the middle might be a problem with some games. But I'd get one of those and some folding chairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...that sounds good. The only qualm I have about those kind of folding utility tables are their sturdiness. If someone were to bump one of those things, I always worry about the table swaying and knocking things around!

But I will definitely check those out! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for something to keep out at all times? If so, you may want to look into your local Craigslist and see if someone is selling a dining room table (perhaps something with a leaf so you can expand it to support the games you've suggested but it can slim down a bit for the avg games).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks ago we built a table for a gaming buddy, for his birtthday. A real gaming table, for large-scale FFG games that don't fit on regular tables.

You might consider it, since it only took a few hours work.

- 4'x6' 1/2" or 3/4" MDF from Lowes or Home Depot (get them to cut it with their sheet saw).

- two trestles from Ikea

- rubber Shelf-liner (under-padding) and Black Vinyl (covering) from a fabric store

- staples and a staple-gun

Simply place the shelf-liner and vinyl on top, fold the corners, and staple it into place while pulling it tight. The under-padding gives it just enough give that you can pick up cards easily, etc. While you might not think that you want padding (who thinks of padding when you think of a hard table, right?!) everybody becomes a believer once they see/feel the table. It just feels "right", once it is covered.

The end result was amazing, and now everybody wants one. My wife wants us to re-cover our gaming table in the same material now.

It cost less than our 6' round plastic utility table, and it is much better suited for games. When not in use, you take it off the trestles, stand it up in the back of a closet, and put the trestles on the floor of the closet. I'll grant you that it is a bit heavy (MDF isn't light stuff) but the thing is darned durable!

Seriously consider an afternoon project of making yourself your own custom gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A friend recently built a wonderful table. He used tongue-and-groove floor boards for the top, sanded to polished smoothness. The legs were off-the-shelf brushed stainless steel screwed to a base of 1/2" marine ply affixed to the underside of the floorboards, set in from the edges around 12". The edges of the ply were trimmed with iron-on veneer. The ends of the floorboards were routed and stained to please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow well maybe building my own is the way to go! Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely, this is somewhat tempting:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. I was waiting for that crazy table to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow, do I want one of those!!

I have a larger poker table that is nice for most(octogonal, and larger than your standard card table) but I'm afraid for some of the larger games (especially those with good sized player's boards) it may not quite be up to snuff. I'm thinking, for myself, I may go the used-dining-room-table route, assuming I can convince the wife...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two of the 8-foot long folding tables with folding legs (but no break in middle) from Office Depot that I leave set up in upstairs gaming room. Good for large games and more than 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work at a custom cabinet shop that makes cool furniture from time to time. We just built a conference table where the center lifts out of the table with a display box underneath where products and whatnot can be hidden and then brought up to be shown.

I showed that table to the shop and they just laughed at me.

Have you seen the pictures of the yacht that the table is on?
http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan/yacht-ilona

Insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.