Subject: stone for what use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günther Hoogstyn
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,

I bought a Mah Jong set (in fact it is "Mah Jang"!!!) in China. I'm trying to get familiar with the rules.

But i'v got one piece in my set of which I can't find the purpose. It's a kind of big dice with all the winds on it and the red and the green dragon also...

I thought it was for showing which was the leading wind of the game, but what are the dragons doing there???

Anyone knows how to use this stone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clouser
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GUNTHARIO wrote:

But i'v got one piece in my set of which I can't find the purpose. It's a kind of big dice with all the winds on it and the red and the green dragon also...

I thought it was for showing which was the leading wind of the game, but what are the dragons doing there???

According to this picture in Mah-Jongg's BGG Gallery, it is a wind indicator, which you suspected.

But, I don't know why the Red and Green Dragon symbols would be on there either. Some of the dice shown are blank on those two sides. All I can say is that there are MANY variations of the game, so maybe the two dragons come to into play in one of them.

BTW: My set didn't have a die. It came with four thin plastic disks, each with a 'WIND'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. It sounds like it is a wind indicator.
The zhong and the fa on the other 2 sides are just for decoration and serve no purpose.

It's easy to think that these indicators might be dice, but they have no actual randomising function. Having said that, and as an avid dice collector myself, I have devised this as a means of justifying having them in my dice collection:
The Game of the Four Winds
http://beta.communities.msn.co.uk/DiceManiacsClubakaTheRando...

Any scurrilous allegations of similarity to certain other directional wagering dice games will be spurned with the silent disdain they deserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lucky you, I've still not managed to find nice-looking wind indicators anywhere, including NYC's Chinatown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to trade you one or more wind indicators for interesting dice, small games or geekgold.
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.